• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Football Talk Op-Ed

thirdandlong

How can a program like Idaho, who was a joke under Petrino, become a power in the Sky after only one season of a new head coach? Understand that Idaho has one of the worst stadiums in the Sky, is located in the boon-docks with little cultural diversity for AA players. Yet, they are still able to turn that program around in a year or two.

So, even enjoying the best football facilities in all of FCS football, and 5 years later, why can't Hauck accomplish his promise to RTD?

Here are my reasons for why Bobby 1.0 was successful, and Bobby 2.0 has not been:

1) During Bobby 1.0, we routinely were able to sign 8-9 of the top 10 in-state players. Now, we sign 4, maybe 5 in a good year. And the Cats are schooling us every year in recruiting better out-of-state players. Over four seasons, losing 12-15 of the best in-state players to the Bobcats is HUGE! Until we are able to turn around the in-state recruiting, the Cats will continue to beat us. Montana players were always the back-bone of our program under Bobby 1.0.
2) Failure to recruit better out-of-state players. Our coaching staff is old, tired, and the age-difference between an 18-year old kid, and coaches old enough to be their grandfather is HUGE!
3) Bobby's rent-a-QB approach, without recruiting a capable back-up QB when the first-stringer goes down. QBs signed from the portal expect to start, and will never be satisfied being a back-up in today's portal environment. A solid high school QB signing is necessary, and Bobby 2.0 has failed miserably to sign a good one.
4) Not instituting a solid NIL program, like the other top FCS programs such as NDSU, SDSU, and Incarnate Word have done.

Please discuss, if you are able to move away from the infantile peeing contests for awhile.

I wouldn’t exactly say they were a power last year. They were 7-4 in the regular season and lost in the 1st round to SELA. They definitely took a step in the right direction and I believe they’ll take another step forward this year, but they weren’t by any means a power last year

thirdandlong said:
How can a program like Idaho, who was a joke under Petrino, become a power in the Sky after only one season of a new head coach? Understand that Idaho has one of the worst stadiums in the Sky, is located in the boon-docks with little cultural diversity for AA players. Yet, they are still able to turn that program around in a year or two.

So, even enjoying the best football facilities in all of FCS football, and 5 years later, why can't Hauck accomplish his promise to RTD?

Here are my reasons for why Bobby 1.0 was successful, and Bobby 2.0 has not been:

1) During Bobby 1.0, we routinely were able to sign 8-9 of the top 10 in-state players. Now, we sign 4, maybe 5 in a good year. And the Cats are schooling us every year in recruiting better out-of-state players. Over four seasons, losing 12-15 of the best in-state players to the Bobcats is HUGE! Until we are able to turn around the in-state recruiting, the Cats will continue to beat us. Montana players were always the back-bone of our program under Bobby 1.0.
2) Failure to recruit better out-of-state players. Our coaching staff is old, tired, and the age-difference between an 18-year old kid, and coaches old enough to be their grandfather is HUGE!
3) Bobby's rent-a-QB approach, without recruiting a capable back-up QB when the first-stringer goes down. QBs signed from the portal expect to start, and will never be satisfied being a back-up in today's portal environment. A solid high school QB signing is necessary, and Bobby 2.0 has failed miserably to sign a good one.
4) Not instituting a solid NIL program, like the other top FCS programs such as NDSU, SDSU, and Incarnate Word have done.

Please discuss, if you are able to move away from the infantile peeing contests for awhile.
Are you using Vims list to determine who the top 10 in-state recruits are each season? I'd like to check this out. Also Vim if you are reading this, how far back to your lists go? Is our coaching staff really that much older than most, and is the age of the staff a significant recruiting and retention factor for players? Is there data about how our NIL program runs compared to the three you mentioned? I'm more than willing to do my own research, I'm just curious where you got some of your data from.

I took a look at last years Idaho schedule and da Griz. Spuds were 6-2 in conference play. Griz 4-4. Spuds first three games were Washington State, Indiana, and Drake(ugh!). Griz respond with Northwestern State, South Dakota, and Indiana STATE. Both ended up 7-4. Both got into the playoffs. I don't know who gets what from ticket sales, TV revenue, but Idaho only has 16,000 seats, WGS over 25,000 and can put 15-20,000 butts in seats, despite Thanksgiving Break and cold weather. Someone, somewhere, decided the Griz were in, and money must have had something to do with the decision. Some have said the Griz bought their way into the playoffs. Maybe that's a fair assessment.

Montana's QB problem IS a problem. The drop off from #1 to #2 is HUGE. Hoping and praying #1 won't get injured is not much of a strategy. Bobby is loyal to his staff, to a fault. He needs to be a HC willing and able to make the tough decisions and fix a faultering team. Sticking with Rosie as long as Bobby did is commendable from a interpersonal perspective, but lousy in respects to team performance. Three conference losses in a row, then getting our ass handed to us by the scats, GAWD! TWEAKING the staff may be all that is needed. I hope so, otherwise Bobby and his staff buddies may all be looking for something else to do next year. Look at Haslam's interview and views on team performance. 8-5 won't cut it. Mediocrity is not acceptable. Connect the dots. I don't think the coaches ages have anything to do with success or failure. Don Read could show up, make some suggestions, and if implemented, a NC might happen. Or, some high school kid might make suggestions with equal results. Age don't mean sh*t. Players have to produce, plain and simple.

Apparently, the NIL situation was determined by the Legislature. Ducking the issue by the BOR? I really don't know. But, it sounds typical for the BOR and Commissioner. Into that, you can read the tea leaves on the recent commotion going on in Bozeman, and what will, or more accurately, WILL NOT happen when its all settled.

Griz til I die said:
I wouldn’t exactly say they were a power last year. They were 7-4 in the regular season and lost in the 1st round to SELA. They definitely took a step in the right direction and I believe they’ll take another step forward this year, but they weren’t by any means a power last year

...and yet they curb stomped the Griz in Missoula last year. That game was not close. What does that say about the Griz?

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

...and yet they curb stomped the Griz in Missoula last year. That game was not close. What does that say about the Griz?
I wasn’t defending us or making a case for why it was ok to lose to them last year. I know just as well as you do that we sucked last year. I admit it. I for one am tired of talking about last year and am ready for this season!

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

No, Idaho didn't curb stomp the Griz. Idaho won by 7. Our qb Johnson was quite sick that day and had been sick all week. He wasn't about to run as a duel threat.

Idaho lost its first playoff game. UM won its first playoff game.

In the Coaches post-season poll, UM was ranked no. 14 , and Idaho was no. 22. What does that say about what the coaches thought about Idaho?

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

thirdandlong said:

Let me summarize, we suck at recruiting in-state and out-of-state, and we can't develop QB's. Where have I heard this before?

MikeyGriz said:
thirdandlong said:

Let me summarize, we suck at recruiting in-state and out-of-state, and we can't develop QB's. Where have I heard this before?
You forgot that our coach is too old.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

No, Idaho didn't curb stomp the Griz. Idaho won by 7. Our qb Johnson was quite sick that day and had been sick all week. He wasn't about to run as a duel threat.

In the Coaches post-season poll, UM was ranked no. 14 , and Idaho was no. 22. What does that say about what the coaches thought about Idaho?

I was at that game. It wasn't close...at anytime. Idaho was head and shoulders better at just about every position...especially QB.

Their ball control offense had the Griz befuddled all game. Griz were flat all day and Johnson clearly had his worst game...the 2 picks to end the game were sickening.

Idahi dominated all 3 phases. They will absolutely take a step forward this year. The Griz...big question mark.

SaskGriz said:
thirdandlong said:

Are you using Vims list to determine who the top 10 in-state recruits are each season? I'd like to check this out. Also Vim if you are reading this, how far back to your lists go? Is our coaching staff really that much older than most, and is the age of the staff a significant recruiting and retention factor for players? Is there data about how our NIL program runs compared to the three you mentioned? I'm more than willing to do my own research, I'm just curious where you got some of your data from.
Tik tok. You said you want a football discussion, please respond and lets get the ball rolling. Pitter Patter.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

I was at that game. It wasn't close...at anytime. Idaho was head and shoulders better at just about every position...especially QB.

Their ball control offense had the Griz befuddled all game. Griz were flat all day and Johnson clearly had his worst game...the 2 picks to end the game were sickening.

Idahi dominated all 3 phases. They will absolutely take a step forward this year. The Griz...big question mark.

I was at the game too. And qb club before and after game. UM was up 13-12 at half and down 16-22 at end of 3d q. With 1 fewer picks, UM would have won the game. Yes, bad picks.

UM averaged more per punt and punted less. UM averaged 30 on kick returns and 10 on punting returns. Idaho averaged 5 and 0. Idaho missed a FG and UM failed on extra point. Idaho didn’t win STs.

Close loss. 1 TD. Nothing close to curb stomping.

You just have your narrative. Most of which is wrong.

SaskGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
Tik tok. You said you want a football discussion, please respond and lets get the ball rolling. Pitter Patter.

SaskGriz said:
SaskGriz said:

I don't do Tik Tok. I'll leave that for you libs and your commie buddies across the pond. I already got the ball rolling.

MikeyGriz said:
thirdandlong said:

Then don't participate. Nobody is holding a gun to your head

thirdandlong said:
SaskGriz said:

With our cup-cake schedule this year, we should have no more than one loss going into the Griz/Cat game. Then, it is on to the playoffs, to take our customary pounding once again. Just pray that our starting QB doesn't get hurt before that time.

Stupid troll thread started by an obsessed racist? Yep, I’m participating. Just throwing my hat in the ring here as a placeholder before taking my kids to a *gasp* MLS game.

thirdandlong said:
SaskGriz said:

I don't do Tik Tok. I'll leave that for you libs and your commie buddies across the pond. I already got the ball rolling.
Tik tok had nothing to do with the website. Tik tok meant, time is ticking by, nothing more. You posted a four point position about the griz, all I did was ask about where you got your data so we could have a football conversation.

CDAGRIZ said:
Stupid troll thread started by an obsessed racist? Yep, I’m participating. Just throwing my hat in the ring here as a placeholder before taking my kids to a *gasp* MLS game.

ROFL. We knew the "racist" allegation would appear from you in 5-4-3.... And what does pointing-out that Tik Tok, owned by the Chinese Communist Party, our #1 international adversary, who was practicing this week blowing-up ships in our Pacific fleet, and being banned in Montana, and being considered for national banning, have to do with race? Of course, that is what all libs do, pull the race card for everything. Shallow, and pathetic. We get it. Now go watch soccer, because you know nothing about the American game we call football.

Back