• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Early EGriz BSC Poll

SoldierGriz

DONOR
1. Idaho
2. cats
3. Davis
4. GRIZ
5. Cal Poly
6. Sac St.
7. Weber
8. NAU
9. EWU
10. Portland St.
11. Idaho State
12. UNC

Yours?

#1: Idaho: Alot of people's picks for a good reason, Eck has the Vandals rapidly heading in the right direction.

#2. MSU: Despite the off-season issues and losses the Cats should still be one of the better teams in the Big Sky.

#3. Montana: I really like what I saw from Vidlak in the Spring game and with McDowell as a potential weapon/backup I think we can compete for the top of the Big Sky this season.

4. UC-Davis: An easier schedule then last season I feel and with Hastings returning they should be on the bubble for the Playoffs.

5. Cal Poly: A well known Big Sky coach and a great QB transfer may be enough to get the Mustangs into a potential playoff team.

6. Weber State: The Wildcats will be reloading losing a really good Coach and a rough 3 out of the 4 opening games. Could very well be 1-3 to start the season.

7. NAU: Have a PAC12 transfer QB as that could dividends in what could very well be Head Coach Chris Balls last season if he doesn't get results.

8. SAC State: The Hornets were mediocre before Troy Taylor and I feel they will be returning to their usual status on top of losing alot of weapons.

9. EWU: Eagles are looking to rebound from a rough 2022 season but it won't be this year. Have a brutal opening 5 game slate where they could very well be 0-5.

10. UNC: I feel Ed Lamb potentially could be a home run hire similar to Eck with Idaho. Lamb was able to do great things with SUU the last time in the Conference, he could very well do it again. Won't be this season however.

Idaho State: Will be interesting to see if the apple falls far from the tree or not with their new head coach. Also really nice stadium renovations, don't think they will win much in the Holt Arena this season however.

12. Portland State: Don't know much about the Vikings this season but Portland is a hell hole now so sure why not.

1. UC Davis (8-0) - Very favorable conference schedule, missing Idaho and MSU. This year's winner of the schedule lottery! :lol:
t-2. Griz (7-1) - I have us losing at UC Davis, but I'm optimistic that Vidlak can be the guy he looks to be and that's the only conference game we lose.
t-2. cats (7-1) - Hard conference schedule, but they would probably only lose the Brawl in Missoula if they lost at all.
4. Idaho (6-2) - Still don't buy the Idahype. They drop both games to the Montana schools.
5. Weber (5-3) - Weber has a new coach, but is replacing less than Sac. They lose to UCD, MSU, and Idaho.
6. Sac (4-4) - They get NAU at home, but that could be an interesting one. Play at Idaho, UCD, and UM, plus MSU at home. Ouch.
t-7. NAU (3-5) - Much fanfare about their transfer QB (not that one :lol: ), but their schedule is tough. Miss Idaho, but play the other top 6 teams.
t-7. PSU (3-5) - Pretty rough schedule, but I think they can beat ISU, UNCO, and EWU.
t-9. EWU (2-6) - I'm assuming they don't just find another stud QB and beat a few teams I have them losing to here, but that could very well happen.
t-9. CP (2-6) - Another team with transfer QB fanfare, but I feel like they aren't gonna climb out of that hole in one season just because they landed a good QB. The rest of their team was TRASH last year.
11. ISU (1-7) - Still in the trash heap after losing Ragle, but they win the toilet bowl against UNC!
12. UNC (0-8) - McCaffrey cratered their program, and it's gonna take some time to dig out of that mess.

Alright I’ll bite

1. Idaho. For those of you doubting the Vandys this season, I just wanna remind you all that their QB won the Jerry Rice award last season and they also have probably the best Receiver in the FCS as well. That alone sets them up tremendously. I have some questions about their Defense but they’ll be very strong offensively, and they get the Griz, cats and Sac State in Moscow. Don’t doubt the Vandys. They could very well win both of their FBS games this year (Nevada, CAL)

2. Cats. While they do have a good team, they have a bitterly tough schedule this year. I think they’re probably gonna drop 2 conference games but for now I’ll put them at 2.

3. Griz. I’m not as down on these guys as many of you are. Look at the wealth of talent we have returning on offense. I’ve yet to hear one person who wasn’t impressed with Vidlak, and it appears we finally got the backup spot resolved with McDowell. For once, the defense won’t have to break their back carrying the offense as I think the O for once will actually be stronger then the D. The defense may not be as dominant, but it’ll be good enough. Plus a much favorable schedule. Last year was in the past, let’s keep it in the past and move on. We’ve made a lot of changes this off-season that should prove to be positive. Time to move on!

4. Davis. I’m not as high on David as many of you are. Yes Hastings is a good QB, but I think they’re really gonna miss Ulonzo Gilliam more than you think. He single handedly kept them in a lot of games last year, and their defense is mid. Outside of 2018, Dan Hawkins has really never had a spectacular team. They’ve always been about average-slightly above average. I’m not gonna buy the hype that they’re contenders or frankly better than us. Time will tell.

5. SAC State. While sac state will take an obvious step back, they do still have some talented players. I’m expecting them to be firmly on the bubble come selection Sunday.

6. NAU. They’ve been very active in the portal and this is a make or break year for Chris Ball. If he doesn’t figure it out this year, it’s likely over for him.

7. Weber. I’m of the opinion these guys will never get back to what they were under Jay Hill. I think Mickey Mental was a terrible hire. Last year was his first ever season coaching D1 Football, he has zero ties to the west coast and he wasn’t exactly a stellar D2 head coach. I think they’re gonna regret this.

8. Cal Poly. They’ll be competitive, but they won’t quite turn the corner this year. Watch out for them in 2024 though

9. Portland State. What you’ve seen from Barney Ball is what you’re gonna get at this point.

10. Eastern. They’re going nowhere until they get rid of Aaron Best. Not sure why the refuse to do it but the time has come for a change in Cheney. Plus they got another brutal schedule this year.

11. UNC. Ed Lamb was a slam dunk hire for them and he will get them to relevancy, but not this year when he has to completely re-invent the wheel.

12. ISU. I don’t think they’ll be as bad as last year, but they’re still gonna be terrible.

I just don't get how UC Davis, who had by far the hardest schedule in the Big Sky last year, if you include all of their OOC games, and who whooped Idaho in Moscow has to prove they are for real, and MSU, who is returning more from a much better team than the spuds, might take a step back, but Idaho, who played a relatively easy schedule and beat a flat, mediocre Griz team with a sick QB and then got bounced in a playoff boat race by a mediocre southland (WAC?) team in SELA, is somehow now a powerhouse.

Will totally admit I'm wrong here if they are, but I honestly just don't see how people are putting them above MSU.

I love that pot is now legal in Montana. Backyard fires are awesome. Here's the actual standings.

Montana
Some combination of schools that nobody who has internet access could ever care about.
MSU
Idaho; my favourite sun belt team
EWU
Some other group of teams; UNC, Pocatello, Northridge, Fullerton. etc.

Idaho, no way.

I assume Cats will be good again, assuming both qb's don't go down at the same time.

I don't know much about Davis, but 1122's post causes me to move them up the food chain.

No way will NAU be very good.

CP will improve, but I don't see them being even middle of the pack.

SS and Weber won't be as good, but they'll be good enough to beat some good teams.

The Griz will be good. Hopefully, very good. I feel better with the addition of the last transfer qb. More depth, and he looks like a good runner, he's big and I like his attitude. I haven't seen Vidlak, but I like the reports. I'm still hoping Brown can bounce back and improve from where he was 2 seasons ago. The o-line should be terrific and have depth. The D will be good and probably very good. I'm excited to see what Pease brings. Same with the new DC.

Scheduling has a huge effect on conference outcomes, as we are all very well aware.

I looked at it this way, I feel there are 6 teams that we can likely put into the "have a chance to be good" category this year: MSU, UM, Idaho, UC Davis, Sac, and Weber. I'm sure one of these teams will probably disappoint, and one of the other 6 teams might surprise and end up in the top 6, but for now I'm going with these schools.

There's a fairly steep difference in schedules among these top teams. UC Davis and Weber only play 3 of these other 5 top teams, while the cats play 4 of the other top teams, but ALL of their games are on the road. I apologize to Griz til I Die here, that is pretty brutal, although I still think they win all of those except the Brawl.

Us and Sac also play 4 of these teams, with us splitting home and away games, while Sac has 3 on the road and 1 at home.

For anyone thinking NAU or CP might make a run this year, they both play 5 of these top 6 teams.

Weber actually got the best schedule this year, having all 3 of their other games against "good" schools at home (MSU, Idaho and UC Davis). UC Davis, the team I think will win the conference, has 2 home games and only 1 on the road, and the hardest conference game for them will likely be against us at home.

Here's how it shakes out for anyone chewing over their rankings:

4 - MSU (@Idaho, @Weber, @Sac, @UM)
4 - Sac State (@Idaho, MSU, @UM, @UCD)
4 - UM (@UC Davis, @Idaho, Sac, MSU)
4 - Idaho (Sac, UM, MSU, @Weber)
3 - UCD (UM, @Weber, Sac)
3 - Weber (MSU, Idaho, UCD)

SoldierGriz said:
1. Idaho
2. cats
3. Davis
4. GRIZ
5. Cal Poly
6. Sac St.
7. Weber
8. NAU
9. EWU
10. Portland St.
11. Idaho State
12. UNC

Yours?

Brother, we’ve had the Official eGriz Poll. We ran it for years. This is stolen valor, and I won’t stand for it.

That said, I’d put the Griz above Davis. 😉

All good posts, hard to argue with any. I like that the Griz are flying under the radar. Need to bolster a couple spots, but this might be the more complete team we've had in a decade, o-line is easily the best we've had since Hauck has been back. A lot of offensive weapons on this team.will be fun to see the evolution of this defense.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:
1. Idaho
2. cats
3. Davis
4. GRIZ
5. Cal Poly
6. Sac St.
7. Weber
8. NAU
9. EWU
10. Portland St.
11. Idaho State
12. UNC

Yours?

Brother, we’ve had the Official eGriz *Poll. We ran it for years. This is stolen valor, and I won’t stand for it.

That said, I’d put the Griz above Davis. 😉

Pole.

Ignoring schedules….. this is the correct order of the best teams.

MSU
UC Davis
Weber
Idaho
um
Sac

Everybody else.

poorgriz said:

MSU
UC Davis
Weber
Idaho
um
Sac

Everybody else.

Uh, don’t they have to play those ignored schedules?

poorgriz said:

MSU
UC Davis
Weber
Idaho
um
Sac

Everybody else.
Disagree with your ranking, but I do agree with what I think your main point is here.

I think MSU is probably the most talented team, but UC Davis doesn't play them or Idaho and gets UM at home, and the cats have to play all of their hardest conference games on the road, so despite possibly being the worse team, I think they have a better shot at wining the conference than MSU does.

The schedule has been the biggest predictor in conference finish since the Big Sky moved to an unbalanced schedule in 2012. The top 2 or 3 team that doesn't play the other top 3-4 teams almost always wins it or shares it.

This is also why I think Weber has a big drop off this season, but still ends up 5-3.

EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:

MSU
UC Davis
Weber
Idaho
um
Sac

Everybody else.

Yes. I’m just saying that is the order of which teams are the best. If you ask me for the ranking of how they will look after the regular season, I would adjust a couple teams slightly.

poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Yes. I’m just saying that is the order of which teams are the best. If you ask me for the ranking of how they will look after the regular season, I would adjust a couple teams slightly.

It's a conference finish poll...not a best team poll. List yours.

poorgriz said:

MSU
UC Davis
Weber
Idaho
um
Sac

Everybody else.

Under zero circumstances is Weber a better football team than Idaho. Zero.

Back