• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Explanation of the 2022 Season?

3-7-77

When I don't know something, I ask. Was there an explanation by Bobby. If there was, I missed it. Haslam called the season 'unacceptable,' or words to that effect. Seasons been over for six months now. If he did explain it somewhere, please provide a link for poor, dumb bastards like me who missed it. I didn't see all the TV broadcasts of 'Griz Week,' or whatever the hell it was called, with Rainey and the Fox Terrier Riley Corcoran, doing his impersonation of Nipper, ala "His Masters Voice." I know, I'm a weak fan. What ARE my priorities?
I thought last year was NC time, so I'm more than a little 'disappointed' at the four game conference slide, starting with IDAHO. Without an explanation of what happened and why, I don't know how anyone can predict this years outcome. Some of you provide detailed rationale for your posts on the subject. Others just seem to be throwing a big turd into a fan. '
Thank you, in advance. :thumb:

3-7-77 said:
When I don't know something, I ask. Was there an explanation by Bobby. If there was, I missed it. Haslam called the season 'unacceptable,' or words to that effect. Seasons been over for six months now. If he did explain it somewhere, please provide a link for poor, dumb bastards like me who missed it. I didn't see all the TV broadcasts of 'Griz Week,' or whatever the hell it was called, with Rainey and the Fox Terrier Riley Corcoran, doing his impersonation of Nipper, ala "His Masters Voice." I know, I'm a weak fan. What ARE my priorities?
I thought last year was NC time, so I'm more than a little 'disappointed' at the four game conference slide, starting with IDAHO. Without an explanation of what happened and why, I don't know how anyone can predict this years outcome. Some of you provide detailed rationale for your posts on the subject. Others just seem to be throwing a big turd into a fan. '

There absolutely was an explanation. Press conferences after games, detailed breakdowns at QB club meetings, and interviews. You could even call or email him. His info is public at U of M. As I've stated elsewhere, we were a couple of calls away from winning Sac State and Weber after our QB got cheap shotted. I keep seeing a few people on here say "well, we should have had better backups." On the vast, vast majority of football teams in the world there is a significant drop off in talent from starter to backup. That is normal. You don't field teams with three QBs on a depth chart of equal talent, experience, and ability who are interchangeable. Our QB was hurt. It sounds like he was hurt worse and for longer than the public even knew. They tried Brown, he did not light the world on fire. They went to Britt in the playoffs, didn't work out.

But we made the playoffs. We did beat SEMO in an incredible comeback. And we lost a game to the Bison, who played for the national championship, but we were in that game early on. Everyone would like to win a national title, only one team gets to. We are on an upward trend over the last five years. Enjoy it.

Honestly, at this point it seems like you are just trying to stir up negativity about last year. I don't know you, and I'm not here to personally attack you, but if following the team makes you angry, and you don't like the coaches, and you are critical of the players, then maybe take a step back and ask yourself why? These are kids. Mostly good kids. And they are out there playing for coaches who care about them and give them their best effort. Feel free to start volunteering or donating or whatever you think will help. But angry posts about last season don't really do anything positive for the team you say you support.

We are going to have a very good and complete team this year. I'm excited for 2023.

Not trying to stir the pot. As I prefaced my post, I didn't know, so I asked. Thanks for your reply. :thumb:

3-7-77 said:

Where did Haslam call the season "unacceptable"? That would surprise me, but if that's what he said, I'd like to see/know that.

mthoopsfan said:
3-7-77 said:

Where did Haslam call the season "unacceptable"? That would surprise me, but if that's what he said, I'd like to see/know that.

I don't remember him actually saying "unacceptable", but he did say

This year, Haslam noted, “There’s certainly a level of urgency and anxiety to, you know … ‘Let’s get back to those dominant days.’”

There’s no reason to sugarcoat it: In 2022-23 the Griz did not meet expectations. Theirs or anyone else’s.

Haslam himself called it “a mediocre-to-good year.”

But I don't think this was only about football.

Kent Haslam - August 24th 2021 -

On what the bar should be for Griz football:

Competing for conference championships, national titles every year. We’ve set that bar and that’s what I’ve always viewed Montana football as is championships. I think we’re on our way. The Big Sky has changed a lot, and you can point and say we’re different and we’re spread out and we don’t play everybody, but you know what, it is what it is, you got to win, and you got to win championships. We know that. We have big scoreboards for a reason: we keep score.”

HelenaHandBasket said:
mthoopsfan said:

I don't remember him actually saying "unacceptable", but he did say

This year, Haslam noted, “There’s certainly a level of urgency and anxiety to, you know … ‘Let’s get back to those dominant days.’”

There’s no reason to sugarcoat it: In 2022-23 the Griz did not meet expectations. Theirs or anyone else’s.

Haslam himself called it “a mediocre-to-good year.”

But I don't think this was only about football.

As I thought. Haslam didn’t say “unacceptable”. He said “didn’t meet expectations.” True. Everyone agrees that the season didn’t meet expectations and was disappointing.

Correct, the mediocre to good year was not about just football.

The quotes were accurate. My misinterpretation and poor use of vocabulary. Relying on my memory is, well.... :roll:
I am not an angry poster. Sorry I came off that way. And, I'm pro-Bobby.

I don't live in the Missoula area, don't have season tickets, never seen a press conference, and am not a QB Club member. Their motto must be, "What happens in QB Club stays in QB Club." I rely on radio and TV broadcasts which usually don't go much beyond the game itself. Very little post-game analysis or comments. I will have to make a note of available radio and TV programs for this coming year so I won't miss what information is available.

3-7-77 said:
The quotes were accurate. My misinterpretation and poor use of vocabulary. Relying on my memory is, well.... :roll:
I am not an angry poster. Sorry I came off that way. And, I'm pro-Bobby.

I don't live in the Missoula area, don't have season tickets, never seen a press conference, and am not a QB Club member. Their motto must be, "What happens in QB Club stays in QB Club." I rely on radio and TV broadcasts which usually don't go much beyond the game itself. Very little post-game analysis or comments. I will have to make a note of available radio and TV programs for this coming year so I won't miss what information is available.

That is a rule of membership, yes. Part of Hauck being able to speak freely is knowing that people won't blab about it much. I'd also suggest the Nuanez site at Skylinesportsmt.com. They almost always have press conferences for both pre-game and post-game, and while Hauck is not exactly an open book in them after a loss, he does take and answer questions and will give an explanation.

One thing I try and do is not look backwards but always forward. The only thing I remember Bobby Hauck saying was something like we couldn’t stop the plus 1. Going forward I believe that won’t be an issue. But yes the 2022 season left a bad taste in mouths..

3-7-77 said:

It all came down to an injured Johnson. That's it.

poorgriz said:
3-7-77 said:

It all came down to an injured Johnson. That's it.

Doesn't it always.......

...does there really have to be an explanation...both Choate and Vigen have sliced and diced
him 4 times and probably will this year too...young Montana recruits that have been to both
camps are saying the Cats are the happening place....hoping for the big turn around year but I
just don't see that coming yet! ...its probably best he just keeps his mouth shut!

grizghost said:
...does there really have to be an explanation...both Choate and Vigen have sliced and diced
him 4 times and probably will this year too...young Montana recruits that have been to both
camps are saying the Cats are the happening place....hoping for the big turn around year but I
just don't see that coming yet! ...its probably best he just keeps his mouth shut!

:thumb:

grizghost said:

If there is one thing that the youth of this state are doing, it is most definitely saying that somewhere is "the happening place."

ElrodGrizzly said:
grizghost said:

If there is one thing that the youth of this state are doing, it is most definitely saying that somewhere is "the happening place."

There is no question they are voting with their feet...and wallets.

SoldierGriz said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

There is no question they are voting with their feet...and wallets.

Oh, attendance issues at Missoula are absolutely problematic. I just found it funny that he said that was what the kids that attend the football camps are saying. I don't think anyone in that generation ever says "happening place." That's slang from the 60's and 70's, I think.

Back