• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2023 Idaho Regular Season Predictions

Griz til I die

DONOR
Alright I got a busy day at work tomorrow so I’m gonna post this tonight. This one should be a hot topic around here as there seems to be a lot of disagreement about how good the Vandys will be! I personally think they will be very good. They’re my pick to win the Big Sky. An offense that returns the Jerry Rice award winner in QB Gevani McCoy, and perhaps the top WR in the FCS in Hayden Hatton, plus a stout defense and a good head coach! Plus a favorable schedule. Let’s dive in!

August 31 @ Lamar - W. Originally, Idaho had a home game scheduled against D2 Western Oregon, but replaced it with an FCS road game after seeing the importance of playing an all D1 schedule for playoff consideration. The bad news though is they sacrificed a home game in the process giving them a very heavy 7 game road schedule. Good thing Lamar is the worst team in the Southland. They’ll coast in this one!

September 9 @ Nevada - W. I’m calling it. Idaho wins this game! 10 days to prepare for one of the worst Mountain West teams. Incarnate Word beat Nevada last year rather comfortably and I think Idaho could potentially do to Nevada what Weber did to Utah State last year.

September 16 @ CAL - L. I really wanna pull the trigger and pick the upset in this one, but I’m just not quite there yet. I think CAL will be on high alert knowing Idaho beat Nevada the previous week. They could do it, and I won’t be surprised if they do, but for now I’m gonna say they lose a close one!

September 23 vs. Sacramento State - W. Idaho finally plays their home opener 4 weeks into the season. 3 really tough games in a row. Sac State plays Stanford the week before so back to back road games could be tough for Sac, but Idahos at home and they have the better team!

September 30 @ Eastern Washington - W. 4 out of the first 5 games on the road, brutal! Good thing Eastern won’t be very good this year. Idaho smoked them last year, and I see them doing it again this year!

October 7 @ Cal Poly - W. How about 5 of your first 6 games of the year all on the road? My god! By this time they could very well be worn out from all the travel. Look for a close game in this one as they may just be exhausted.

October 14 vs. Montana - W. I’d like to think with the amount of time the Vandys will have spent on the road, that we could jump up and surprise them in the dome, but I think that’s gonna be a lot harder now that this is a prime time game on ESPN2. They will be jacked for this one. They haven’t played on ESPN since 2018 against Florida, and haven’t played at home on ESPN since 2011 against Boise State. Expect a close game in this one, but I think the Vandys pull it out!

October 21 BYE. A late bye week and they’re gonna need it after all of that. A chance to finally spend some time at home.

October 28 vs. Montana State - W. Perfect time to have a bye week with the cats coming to town! Wanna hear how unbalanced the schedules are? Since 2018 when Idaho re-joined the Big Sky, the cats have never played Idaho in Moscow. Both of their prior 2 conference meetings were in Bozeman. The last time they played in Moscow was in 2016 in Choate’s first season when Idaho was still FBS. This is the back end of a 2 game road trip for the cats. They play at Sac State the week before. I like Idaho off a bye week in a close one!

November 4 @ Northern Colorado - W. After not leaving Moscow for 3 weeks, this is a chance to work on some things and blow the doors off a bad opponent. Idaho wins big.

November 11 @ Weber State - W. God the amount of back to back road trips feels flat out inhumane. I bet if these 2 teams played each other last year Idaho would’ve won. I think Webers overrated and Idaho wins this game rather comfortably.

November 18 vs. Idaho State - W. Tune up game for the playoffs before hopefully getting a first round bye.

———————————

I have Idaho going 10-1, which in the eyes of many of you may seem very generous. I could be just dead ass wrong, but I really like this Idaho team. They’re very talented! The big question is how will they handle playing 7 road games? That’s a lot and it very well could wear them down. I couldn’t even imagine. Getting Sac State, UM and msu all at home is a big advantage though, and they need to capitalize on it. That’s my prediction! Thoughts???

Griz til I die said:
Alright I got a busy day at work tomorrow so I’m gonna post this tonight. This one should be a hot topic around here as there seems to be a lot of disagreement about how good the Vandys will be! I personally think they will be very good. They’re my pick to win the Big Sky. An offense that returns the Jerry Rice award winner in QB Gevani McCoy, and perhaps the top WR in the FCS in Hayden Harris, plus a stout defense and a good head coach! Plus a favorable schedule. Let’s dive in!

August 31 @ Lamar - W. Originally, Idaho had a home game scheduled against D2 Western Oregon, but replaced it with an FCS road game after seeing the importance of playing an all D1 schedule for playoff consideration. The bad news though is they sacrificed a home game in the process giving them a very heavy 7 game road schedule. Good thing Lamar is the worst team in the Southland. They’ll coast in this one!

September 9 @ Nevada - W. I’m calling it. Idaho wins this game! 10 days to prepare for one of the worst Mountain West teams. Incarnate Word beat Nevada last year rather comfortably and I think Idaho could potentially do to Nevada what Weber did to Utah State last year.

September 16 @ CAL - L. I really wanna pull the trigger and pick the upset in this one, but I’m just not quite there yet. I think CAL will be on high alert knowing Idaho beat Nevada the previous week. They could do it, and I won’t be surprised if they do, but for now I’m gonna say they lose a close one!

September 23 vs. Sacramento State - W. Idaho finally plays their home opener 4 weeks into the season. 3 really tough games in a row. Sac State plays Stanford the week before so back to back road games could be tough for Sac, but Idahos at home and they have the better team!

September 30 @ Eastern Washington - W. 4 out of the first 5 games on the road, brutal! Good thing Eastern won’t be very good this year. Idaho smoked them last year, and I see them doing it again this year!

October 7 @ Cal Poly - W. How about 5 of your first 6 games of the year all on the road? My god! By this time they could very well be worn out from all the travel. Look for a close game in this one as they may just be exhausted.

October 14 vs. Montana - W. I’d like to think with the amount of time the Vandys will have spent on the road, that we could jump up and surprise them in the dome, but I think that’s gonna be a lot harder now that this is a prime time game on ESPN2. They will be jacked for this one. They haven’t played on ESPN since 2018 against Florida, and haven’t played at home on ESPN since 2011 against Boise State. Expect a close game in this one, but I think the Vandys pull it out!

October 21 BYE. A late bye week and they’re gonna need it after all of that. A chance to finally spend some time at home.

October 28 vs. Montana State - W. Perfect time to have a bye week with the cats coming to town! Wanna hear how unbalanced the schedules are? Since 2018 when Idaho re-joined the Big Sky, the cats have never played Idaho in Moscow. Both of their prior 2 conference meetings were in Bozeman. The last time they played in Moscow was in 2016 in Choate’s first season when Idaho was still FBS. This is the back end of a 2 game road trip for the cats. They play at Sac State the week before. I like Idaho off a bye week in a close one!

November 4 @ Northern Colorado - W. After not leaving Moscow for 3 weeks, this is a chance to work on some things and blow the doors off a bad opponent. Idaho wins big.

November 11 @ Weber State - W. God the amount of back to back road trips feels flat out inhumane. I bet if these 2 teams played each other last year Idaho would’ve won. I think Webers overrated and Idaho wins this game rather comfortably.

November 18 vs. Idaho State - W. Tune up game for the playoffs before hopefully getting a first round bye.

———————————

I have Idaho going 10-1, which in the eyes of many of you may seem very generous. I could be just dead ass wrong, but I really like this Idaho team. They’re very talented! The big question is how will they handle playing 7 road games? That’s a lot and it very well could wear them down. I couldn’t even imagine. Getting Sac State, UM and msu all at home is a big advantage though, and they need to capitalize on it. That’s my prediction! Thoughts???
You are too generous. Idaho snuck up on some teams last year (us included) that will be better prepared this year. You have them overrated. They lose at least 3. They don't beat all of Nevada, SacSt, EWU, Montana, MSU, Weber. No way.

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:
Alright I got a busy day at work tomorrow so I’m gonna post this tonight. This one should be a hot topic around here as there seems to be a lot of disagreement about how good the Vandys will be! I personally think they will be very good. They’re my pick to win the Big Sky. An offense that returns the Jerry Rice award winner in QB Gevani McCoy, and perhaps the top WR in the FCS in Hayden Harris, plus a stout defense and a good head coach! Plus a favorable schedule. Let’s dive in!

———————————

You are too generous. Idaho snuck up on some teams last year (us included) that will be better prepared this year. You have them overrated. They lose at least 3. They don't beat all of Nevada, SacSt, EWU, Montana, MSU, Weber. No way.

Agreed 100%

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:

———————————

heck they might have lost 3 by the time they play us.

Griz til I die said:

———————————

I agree with you on this. Idaho should always be good in the Big Sky. And with Eck they made huge strides last year. I think both the Griz and Cats have a good chance of beating them but will be underdogs. I'm thinking road trip to Moscow.

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:

———————————

I would agree that they snuck up on some teams last year, but can I ask why you don’t think they’ll improve this year Kem? They were really young last year, now they’re a year older and they get all the top Big Sky teams at home. What gives you pause about them?

Griz til I die said:
kemajic said:
I would agree that they snuck up on some teams last year, but can I ask why you don’t think they’ll improve this year Kem? They were really young last year, now they’re a year older and they get all the top Big Sky teams at home. What gives you pause about them?

His narrative...

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

His narrative...
Kem's post from October 2022...he knew then and he knows now:

"Idaho would eventually be back. They couldn't stay that bad forever."

UncleRico said:
Griz til I die said:

———————————

I agree with you on this. Idaho should always be good in the Big Sky. And with Eck they made huge strides last year. I think both the Griz and Cats have a good chance of beating them but will be underdogs. I'm thinking road trip to Moscow.

Highly unlikely the Cats will be underdogs when they play Idaho, even with they lose at SDSU early in the season… which is probably going to happen unfortunately.

poorgriz said:
UncleRico said:

Highly unlikely the Cats will be underdogs when they play Idaho, even with they lose at SDSU early in the season… which is probably going to happen unfortunately.

Your HC grow a pair yet?

Griz til I die said:
kemajic said:
I didn't say they wouldn't improve, I said they won't be 10-1. They were 7-4 last year and then lost their playoff game for 7-5. 8-3 is an improvement and also somewhat generous for a team with only 4 home games. I expect Idaho to be one of the top teams in the BSC for many years to come. 8-3 is very successful relative to where they've been.

poorgriz said:
UncleRico said:

You may be a slight betting favorite but by no means is that going to be an easy game for you guys. You play at Sac State the week before on ESPN2 at 8:30pm, then have to turn around and haul your ass down to Moscow the following week while Idaho is coming off a bye week. The odds don't seem to be in your favor to go 2-0 on this road trip

poorgriz said:
UncleRico said:

If Idaho only has one loss and they beat the Griz the week before. I am 100% certain they will be favored at home vs the Cats.

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:
I didn't say they wouldn't improve, I said they won't be 10-1. They were 7-4 last year and then lost their playoff game for 7-5. 8-3 is an improvement and also somewhat generous for a team with only 4 home games. I expect Idaho to be one of the top teams in the BSC for many years to come. 8-3 is very successful relative to where they've been.

Again, 100% agree. Eck and Idaho ain’t gonna surprise anybody this year.

And I have to ask GTID, if Idaho can get better (and a year older), why wouldn’t Nevada? I wouldn’t be penciling that in as a win just yet…4 home games doesn’t scream 10-1 to me.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

And I have to ask GTID, if Idaho can get better (and a year older), why wouldn’t Nevada? I wouldn’t be penciling that in as a win just yet…4 home games doesn’t scream 10-1 to me.
Well it'd be hard for Nevada to be any worse then they were last year lol. I like their new head coach and I think he'll do a good job turning it around but based off where the 2 programs sit, I think Idaho is in a better spot then Nevada. Yes I think both programs will be improved this year, but Nevada still has a ways to go whereas Idaho is sitting in a much better spot right now. 4 home games is definitely tough and I talked about how I think all the travel has the potential to really wear them down but I guess we'll see. You play the games for a reason lol

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

They gave Indiana and WaState games last season, with a new system and coach. They have two of the best three receivers in the FCS. An award winning freshman quarterback returns and a back or two for good measure. Hauck was well aware of what was coming at them and said as much in the coaches show the week following. They didn't execute well enough on offense, with a sick Johnson and no backup. Their offense won't be anything but better and as long as their goal is to limit the opposing team's possessions, they'll do well.

If Eck went out and got himself some help on defense, theyre going to be dammed tough to beat. Conference champs beat teams on the road - remember when?. We'll see what they've got.

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:

Well it'd be hard for Nevada to be any worse then they were last year lol. I like their new head coach and I think he'll do a good job turning it around but based off where the 2 programs sit, I think Idaho is in a better spot then Nevada. Yes I think both programs will be improved this year, but Nevada still has a ways to go whereas Idaho is sitting in a much better spot right now. 4 home games is definitely tough and I talked about how I think all the travel has the potential to really wear them down but I guess we'll see. You play the games for a reason lol

I'll take Idaho and bet the under here against Nevada.
Their ball-control offense is going to be a problem for every one of their opponents this year. And, their defense will stay off the field for most of the game meaning opponents' points will be hard to come by late in games.

10-1 is not a huge stretch in my mind.

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

I'll take Idaho and bet the under here against Nevada.
Their ball-control offense is going to be a problem for every one of their opponents this year. And, their defense will stay off the field for most of the game meaning opponents' points will be hard to come by late in games.

10-1 is not a huge stretch in my mind.

10-1 is a huge stretch for any team not named NDSU or SDSU, IMHO.

While I hope we win every game, there are really only 2 that I give a crap about. We need to slay the puss and pound the griz. I'll be rooting for you guys every game not involving Idaho. Against us, I want to crush your team, see your fans driven before us and hear the lamentations of your unshaven wimminz.

Good luck this year and screw the cats.

Back