• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

D-Day

SoldierGriz

DONOR
In awe of the courage of the thousands of Americans (and others) who swam, waded, climbed, and parachuted into Nazi teeth so many years ago.

On 6 June 1944, 150,000 soldiers from the US, Canada, and the UK invaded Normandy to begin the liberation of Europe from Nazi and fascist occupation.

Although the Allied forces eventually liberated the coast from German control, the day was chaotic and bloody, with fierce weather adding to difficulties.

The loss of life among the allies is thought to be around 9,000, with around 4,000 on the German side. Some 200,000 Germans were captured as prisoners of war.

General Dwight Eisenhower, in a message to troops before Normandy:

“Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely ... I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory! Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.”

A great many of those guys who stormed the beaches were just 18 year old, barely out of high school. Their sacrifices contributed greatly to the liberation of Europe and to the freedoms we enjoy today as Americans. Thank You!

The D-Day Beaches, Normandy and Caen are a great vacation. Historic, emotional and spiritual. Great museum in Caen. Point du Hac. You can imagine the 101st Rangers scaling the Point with ropes, with German bunkers above them. The Cemetery. Pill Boxes and Bunkers. Beaches with defensive armor still in some places.

The overlook at the Cemetery is above Omaha Beach. Dog Green sector to the left. See the start of the movie Saving Private Ryan for Dog Green sector.

The soldiers were all so brave, whether they knew it or not, and even though they were likely very scared.

Great leadership by General Eisenhower. He played football at West Point.

mthoopsfan said:
The D-Day Beaches, Normandy and Caen are a great vacation. Historic, emotional and spiritual. Great museum in Caen. Point du Hac. You can imagine the 101st Rangers scaling the Point with ropes, with German bunkers above them. The Cemetery. Pill Boxes and Bunkers. Beaches with defensive armor still in some places.

The overlook at the Cemetery is above Omaha Beach. Dog Green sector to the left. See the start of the movie Saving Private Ryan for Dog Green sector.

The soldiers were all so brave, whether they knew it or not, and even though they were likely very scared.

Great leadership by General Eisenhower. He played football at West Point.

Excellent post PR. I also have been multiple times. Carried Division colors ashore with fellow commanders - it was among my favorite moments of service.

Four percent of the sand on Normandy beaches is shrapnel that has been broken down over the decades into sand-sized chunks...

Yesterday I set foot in Alaska, finally completing my task of visiting all 50 states in these Great United States of America.

The beaches of Normandy have now officially moved to the #1 position on my bucket list of places to visit. I have ZERO desire to visit France in general, but Normandy is American ground, IMHO. With American blood spilled on its shores.

AZGrizFan said:
Yesterday I set foot in Alaska, finally completing my task of visiting all 50 states in these Great United States of America.

The beaches of Normandy have now officially moved to the #1 position on my bucket list of places to visit. I have ZERO desire to visit France in general, but Normandy is American ground, IMHO. With American blood spilled on its shores.

It’s so worth the trip. I was blessed to be able to take my family to Normandy last summer. We spent three days in Normandy and four days in Paris. Visiting Omaha Beach was on my bucket list.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/billingsgazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/04/a0490b95-7851-5a54-b084-b39845d75eb9/6480702cdb2f2.image.jpg?resize=731%2C494
Also on my bucket list. Hope to be there June 6 of 2024.

Hopefully this link works.

Not D-Day, but close.

"WWII pilot finally laid to rest in hometown of Moccasin, Montana"

"On Wednesday, June 7, 2023, Lieutenant Gordon Eugene Thompson was interred in front of hundreds of friends, family members, and strangers in the tiny town of Moccasin, where he was born.

Thompson was born in Moccasin on June 15, 1920 and grew up on the family farm. After graduating as valedictorian from Moccasin High School and earning a degree in Agriculture from Montana State College in 1941, he enlisted in the Navy’s flight training program four months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and United State’s official entry into World War II.

In the summer of 1942, he was assigned to the “Bengals” of the Marine Fighter Squadron 224 (VMF-224) based in Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands.

On August 31, 1942, Thompson failed to return from a combat patrol and was declared Missing in Action. Neither Thompson nor his plane were recovered during the course of the war and he was declared dead five months after armistice.

Thompson’s dog tags were discovered in a garden near on the Solomon Islands in 2018. Shortly afterward, the DPAA team discovered a wreckage site and recovered remains - and then last summer, a DNA test confirmed that Lieutenant Thompson’s remains had indeed been found."

The United States and Germany had the most powerful armies the world has seen. With the advent of nuclear warfare, we likely will never see land forces like those two countries again.

Spanky2 said:
The United States and Germany had the most powerful armies the world has seen. With the advent of nuclear warfare, we likely will never see land forces like those two countries again.
War is war in any era and deadly. It is good only for the military industrial complex and to the recipients of their lobby money.

kemajic said:
Spanky2 said:
War is war in any era and deadly. It is good only for the military industrial complex and to the recipients of their lobby money.

It can also be good for keeping the US and its allies free countries.

mthoopsfan said:
kemajic said:

In principle, but the record of that is not so hot. Many political stalemates.

kemajic said:
mthoopsfan said:
In principle, but the record of that is not so hot. Many political stalemates.

Then there are leaders looking for under the table kick backs for financial aid. I don’t know of any, of course.

Back