• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bummed for UC Davis

Griz Gone Wild said:
Can't imagine missing the playoffs and watching Nichols and Drake lay huge eggs. Really think the Aggies deserved the nod.
Yep. But both were auto-bids ... NCAA politics. The real bummer was North Carolina Central getting an at-large bid out of the MEAC. Took Richmond some time to get interested, but then they just crushed NCC. Could have been worse if the Spiders hadn't "called off the hounds."

They would have gone in place of Chattanooga or Sac State which have been fun contests today. Don’t know if that would have effected the matchups or locations at all. Sac won and Chattanooga looks like they might win. I think with Larrison back they would have given teams some troubles. I do feel bad for Hawkins and his crew. They are close to breaking through.

Don't get why people don't get autobids. Sucky teams from sucky conferences get in because someone from their sucky conference has to. Watch NCAA basketball, you think Binghampton deserves a spot of the number 9 team in the Big 10 (which probably has 16 teams in it, but one bridge at a time)?

Griz Gone Wild said:
Can't imagine missing the playoffs and watching Nichols and Drake lay huge eggs. Really think the Aggies deserved the nod.

I understand the auto bid system, but man, it sure sucks sometimes. I imagine a UC Davis vs North Dakota state or vs Southern Illinois would have been infinitely more entertaining than either of those two matchups.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
It will probably change next year when they seed 1-16. That will help get better teams in I feel like.

It changes nothing other than taking the money component from first round home teams

IdaGriz01 said:
Griz Gone Wild said:
Yep. But both were auto-bids ... NCAA politics. The real bummer was North Carolina Central getting an at-large bid out of the MEAC. Took Richmond some time to get interested, but then they just crushed NCC. Could have been worse if the Spiders hadn't "called off the hounds."

Exactly. The soft 1-bid conferences need to NOT be autobids. There is reams and reams of evidence that they simply are of a lesser caliber than the 4 conferences still standing (BSC, MVFC, Southern, CAA). EVERY 1-bid conference is done. Gone. Just like almost every other year in history.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Exactly. The soft 1-bid conferences need to NOT be autobids. There is reams and reams of evidence that they simply are of a lesser caliber than the 4 conferences still standing (BSC, MVFC, Southern, CAA). EVERY 1-bid conference is done. Gone. Just like almost every other year in history.

Should this be the same for the NCAA basketball tournaments, so the BSC is left out?

HelenaHandBasket said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
It will probably change next year when they seed 1-16. That will help get better teams in I feel like.

It changes nothing other than taking the money component from first round home teams

Exactly... Auto bid does not equal auto seed!

The entire system of collegiate athletics needs to be restructured. What happened with the Pac 12 just showed how delicate certain teams situations are. Corvallis and Pullman just got relegated to the basement. Clearly FCS has their own basement and their top tier. There needs to be more competitive middle tiers of FBS and additional playoffs. Something to engage fans more and for teams to move up to. TV contracts aren’t going to be as lucrative for certain conferences in the future. Going to be interesting how it all shakes out. The good old NCAA screwed the pooch long ago. Now time for a cleanup on Isle three please.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Should this be the same for the NCAA basketball tournaments, so the BSC is left out?

Honestly, I think it should. It’s 64 teams solely for revenue generation. Just like in football, everyone knows there’s about 8-10 teams with a legit shot, the rest are just playing out the string.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Honestly, I think it should. It’s 64 teams solely for revenue generation. Just like in football, everyone knows there’s about 8-10 teams with a legit shot, the rest are just playing out the string.

Agree to disagree. And they change to the model you suggest, it will leave the BSC out and the revenue that goes with it. And if there are only 8-10 teams that can win, why is it an issue rewarding 3-4 conferences with automatic bids that probably are with the 11-20 that cant'?

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Agree to disagree. And they change to the model you suggest, it will leave the BSC out and the revenue that goes with it. And if there are only 8-10 teams that can win, why is it an issue rewarding 3-4 conferences with automatic bids that probably are with the 11-20 that cant'?

Well, I really don’t care for 66-3, 40-7 and 35-0 “playoff” football. There were other teams who weren’t selected that would have stood a fighting chance. Plus, it allows (mostly east coast) teams to pad their playoff resumes with cupcakes that shouldn’t be there.

There’s a reason why, after the “play-in” games, there’s only four conferences left. Per usual.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Well, I really don’t care for 66-3, 40-7 and 35-0 “playoff” football. There were other teams who weren’t selected that would have stood a fighting chance. Plus, it allows (mostly east coast) teams to pad their playoff resumes with cupcakes that shouldn’t be there.

There’s a reason why, after the “play-in” games, there’s only four conferences left. Per usual.

Sounds like a you problem.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

Sounds like a you problem.

Did I claim otherwise? It’s called “an opinion”.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I think you are pushing for a 12 team playoff...just the teams that have a chance.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think you are pushing for a 12 team playoff...just the teams that have a chance.

I’d settle for 16. And I get that it’s difficult to make comparisons about teams when they play in different conferences and don’t play each other, but like I said, there’s reams and reams of evidence that there’s four REAL conferences and the rest are playing pretend FCS football….There really ought to be a P4 and G4/5 in the FCS as well, because it comes down to this literally every single year…and it’s not like the NCAA generates additional revenue from these games…

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

This. We need to be careful about the precedent we set, because the P4 would absolutely LOVE to eliminate the auto bids from conferences such as the bsc in the NCAA Tournament

Back