• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAA, power conferences agree to allow schools to pay players

I'll humor you, since you are trying so hard to talk football. Yes, we COULD, and we SHOULD be able to mirror the success of both NDSU and SDSU, if not exceed their success. What advantages do either of them have over us??? Fargo? Brookings? We have much better facilities, a much superior game-day experience, a much bigger fan base, and a much more attractive city to play in. Yet, Bobby can't seem to get it done. So, YES, if we had a better coach, and he could recruit better, I think we would be a DOMINANT FCS team almost every season, instead of praying that we can somehow secure 3 home playoffs games and cruise into the NC game, only to get destroyed once again!
Why are you so sure that NDSU and SDSU can compete in the new money grab?

So you will be bitter and unhappy until we win 8 in 11 years like NDSU? And if we do then your bitch will be we should have moved up because those 8 National Titles came against lousy opposition since "all the good teams moved up"?

U Conn men's basketball sucks because they aren't Coach Wooden's UCLA, South Carolina women's basketball sucks because they aren't U Conn women's.

Maybe it's time for a new hobby?
No, he will always be bitter and unhappy.

I'll humor you, since you are trying so hard to talk football. Yes, we COULD, and we SHOULD be able to mirror the success of both NDSU and SDSU, if not exceed their success. What advantages do either of them have over us??? Fargo? Brookings? We have much better facilities, a much superior game-day experience, a much bigger fan base, and a much more attractive city to play in. Yet, Bobby can't seem to get it done. So, YES, if we had a better coach, and he could recruit better, I think we would be a DOMINANT FCS team almost every season, instead of praying that we can somehow secure 3 home playoffs games and cruise into the NC game, only to get destroyed once again!
If the top level of FBS is going to pay players, and the college sports of football and basketball will be essentially professional and not amateur, won't the scholarships also be essentially part of the compensation? Why should the scholarships then be tax free? Why should the rest of us have to pay more in taxes to subsidize the top FBS players? I'm all for college scholarships, whether academic, athletic or otherwise, not be taxable, but there's an argument that what the top of FBS is doing should convert the athletic scholarships into taxable compensation.

I assume the schools, ncaa and tax lawyers have throughly analyzed this, but this new move takes the taxable arms of non-profit schools closer to upsetting the tax exempt status of schools. Generally, it's okay for a non-profit to have a limited amount of income from a profitable arm.

The Dakota schools have the advantage of being closer to Minn and other good midwestern high school football states. Good and closer recruiting. Also, the top 2 Dakota schools have had consistently good coaching and didn’t have to recover from down years and a bad coach or two. They also landed some terrific QB’s like UM had had in the 2000s.

It’s incredible how many excuses you’ll make for the cats, but the Griz have to be better than perfect lmao

Just go cheer for them
I'm a huge Griz fan. Have been to 3 of their NC games, and travel to away games frequently. I just get sick of sugar-coating from Griz fans, especially about how great a coach Bobby is. Why can't you be honest? In my memory, we have had only one other game (maybe two... did Bergen have another game where he had TWO ST touchdowns?) I think maybe either Heidelberger or Segars (sp) had a game where he scored twice on ST touchdowns. Can you recall any others? If so, this means that we have had 29 season since the 1995 NC team in which one of our players had two ST touchdowns. That means that the odds of having that event happen over 350 games is about .3%. I'm just trying to be objective about our great march to Frisco last season. The way I see it, our offense under Mcdowell in the Furman, NDSU, and SDSU games was not productive. We won by defense, two very unlikely ST touchdowns, and one-in-a-lifetime miraculous play. Am I wrong?

Tax will be the least of everyone's worries, as soon as payment is established and benefits have a monetary value placed on them schools will start grossing up the payments to the "employee" to accommodate for any tax levied. The new burden of all the tax consequences will start to be with the new "athlete employee" accounting for these taxes if they actually materialize and the new staff the University will need to hire to manage this mess...
Good post, and valid

I actually played fullback for the U of M rugby team as an 18 year old and then played keeper for the U of M club soccer team when we won an open tournament in Missoula when Mike Trevathan was my starting right back.
Good. I'm impressed. Sincerely dude.

I'm a huge Griz fan. Have been to 3 of their NC games, and travel to away games frequently. I just get sick of sugar-coating from Griz fans, especially about how great a coach Bobby is. Why can't you be honest? In my memory, we have had only one other game (maybe two... did Bergen have another game where he had TWO ST touchdowns?) I think maybe either Heidelberger or Segars (sp) had a game where he scored twice on ST touchdowns. Can you recall any others? If so, this means that we have had 29 season since the 1995 NC team in which one of our players had two ST touchdowns. That means that the odds of having that event happen over 350 games is about .3%. I'm just trying to be objective about our great march to Frisco last season. The way I see it, our offense under Mcdowell in the Furman, NDSU, and SDSU games was not productive. We won by defense, two very unlikely ST touchdowns, and one-in-a-lifetime miraculous play. Am I wrong?
Yes, we were carried by the 3-3-5 defense. Great D, right?

Our offense won both the Furman and NDSU games in overtime. The defense stepped up in the Furman game, but got run through against NDSU until the final play. We’re lucky NDSU ran a two-point play we were prepared for.

We had 3 special teams TDs in two games! That’s not luck! That’s good coaching!

This is football. That’s how it works. There were lucky bullshit stuff that happened to both Furman and NDSU in both games, but we won’t hear that from you. The fact that you never bring up the one true thing that Hauck massively fucked up in the NDSU game just shows how shallow your football understanding is.

Last edited:
Our offense won both the Furman and NDSU games in overtime. The defense stepped up in the Furman game, but got run through against NDSU until the final play. We’re lucky NDSU ran a two-point play we were prepared for.

This is football. That’s how it works. There were lucky bullshit stuff that happened to both Furman and NDSU in both games, but we won’t hear that from you. The fact that you never bring up the one true thing that Hauck massively fucked up in the NDSU game just shows how shallow your football understanding is.
Was it not being prepared for the NDSU fake punt? As the special teams coach that's exactly something that he would do himself so he should have known that they would try it and had the special teams unit better prepared to defend it. I think he was counting his chickens a little too early at that point.

Hilarious. You're a freaking joke. Yeah, let's count on Bobby's incredible ST coaching to win games for us with TDs, since it only happens a couple of times a season. You're too funny for words, dudess. Why don't you tell us about all of the lucky things that happened to Furman NDSU. I'll wait.

Was it not being prepared for the NDSU fake punt? As the special teams coach that's exactly something that he would do himself so he should have known that they would try it and had the special teams unit better prepared to defend it. I think he was counting his chickens a little too early at that point.
Yes, exactly. One the worst coaching blunders I've ever seen a Griz coach make. He admitted after the game that he got greedy, but even that is borderline unacceptable. That game never should've gone to overtime.

Here's Bobby flash-back from the past: Does anyone remember our losing to Division II North Dakota State (before they moved-up) on a 4th quarter fake FG that they ran-in for a winning TD after everyone in the stadium knew that they would fake the FG, except Bobby?

Hilarious. You're a freaking joke. Yeah, let's count on Bobby's incredible ST coaching to win games for us with TDs, since it only happens a couple of times a season. You're too funny for words, dudess. Why don't you tell us about all of the lucky things that happened to Furman NDSU. I'll wait.
Sure.

Furman got an absolute gift of an interception that got them back into that game while having half of their entire offensive output for the entire game on 2 plays. If, by your logic, big special teams plays where our guys executed don't count, then neither do those. Sucks to suck, Furman got lucky.

NDSU had several lobbed bombs that were miraculously caught, and the aforementioned coaching malpractice that let them execute a fake punt. How many times had they run a successful fake punt last season? Oh, only once? Well shit, sounds like luck. I don't make the rules, Steve.

I would love for you to explain to everyone why some big plays that are well executed by a team are luck, while others aren't. Apparently you think blocking on special teams isn't a thing that can be coached, you just throw guy out there and hope the returner doesn't get tackled. lol

Settlement will cost each Big Sky school about $2.5 to $3 M over next ten years.

Here's an overview.https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/historic-house-case-settlement-has-college-basketball-not-college-football-to-thank-for-saving-the-ncaa/

Looks like they will be siphoning off CBS tourney dollars from conferences to pay for part of the "settlement". Doesn't the Big Sky usually get about 500 grand for their first round exit game? Won't go very far on a 3 million conference bill per annum. Hard to see how this flies for the Sky and a lot of other poor conferences. Even the non football Big East is going to raise holy hell.

Again they are all ignoring that when the final NFL AAA farm teams are left standing (30 or 40 or 50) and they leave the party the David/Goliath aspect of March Madness goes away. Which instantly drops the value to the NCAA from a billion a year to who knows how much less. I'd guess less than half as the AAA league will have their own tourney and both combined won't get the casual viewers that first week. Where will the money come from then? No one has thought through the consequences. Still think it's going to implode and the little guys without unlimited TV Bux will take the biggest hit and it will change the whole relationship college athletics has with the public in a negative way. I'm bummed as a 6 decade long fan but I also think it will hurt the present higher education model with the public's support.

Sure.

Furman got an absolute gift of an interception that got them back into that game while having half of their entire offensive output for the entire game on 2 plays. If, by your logic, big special teams plays where our guys executed don't count, then neither do those. Sucks to suck, Furman got lucky.

NDSU had several lobbed bombs that were miraculously caught, and the aforementioned coaching malpractice that let them execute a fake punt. How many times had they run a successful fake punt last season? Oh, only once? Well shit, sounds like luck. I don't make the rules, Steve.

I would love for you to explain to everyone why some big plays that are well executed by a team are luck, while others aren't. Apparently you think blocking on special teams isn't a thing that can be coached, you just throw guy out there and hope the returner doesn't get tackled. lol
OMG. Your examples are so freaking hilarious that they don't deserve comment. But, i'll bite. So, interceptions are luck? Could they occur because our QB threw a bad pass?

And, great catches by our opponent is just "luck"??? ROFL

And then, our All-World special teams head coach allows a successful fake punt, and you throw that into the "luck" category??? Ha Ha Ha. I call it poor ST coaching by our All-World ST coach who NFL teams just beg to come coach their special teams, according to one "popular" poster.

Let me make it simple for ya. We have had two ST returns for a TD only TWICE in 30 years., in over 350 games played. Yet, we needed those two Bergen TDs to even GET INTO AN OVERTIME SITUATION! If you can't admit how lucky we were to have that one time in the past 20 seasons to have our player provide TWO touchdowns, then you are drinking Kool-Aid

And then, look at the three posters who 'liked' your ridiculous examples!!! Their combined football IQ wouldn't fill a thimble.

Last edited:
OMG. Your examples are so freaking hilarious that they don't deserve comment. But, i'll bite. So, interceptions are luck? Could they occur because our QB threw a bad pass?

And, great catches by our opponent is just "luck"??? ROFL

And then, our All-World special teams head coach allows a successful fake punt, and you throw that into the "luck" category??? Ha Ha Ha. I call it poor ST coaching by our All-World ST coach who NFL teams just beg to come coach their special teams, according to one "popular" poster.

Let me make it simple for ya. We have had two ST returns for a TD only TWICE in 30 years., in over 350 games played. Yet, we needed those two Bergen TDs to even GET INTO AN OVERTIME SITUATION! If you can't admit how lucky we were to have that one time in the past 20 seasons to have our player provide TWO touchdowns, then you are drinking Kool-Aid

And then, look at the three posters who 'liked' your ridiculous examples!!! Their combined football IQ wouldn't fill a thimble.
So you can't explain why a successful football play is lucky besides the fact that doing it more than once in a game is rare. Rare and lucky are not the same thing.

Back