• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Opening Day for Griz!

HookedonGriz

DONOR
They unfortunately dropped their first game to Middle Tennessee 1-0. Great pitching outing by Brock but no run support.

They are battling with Fresno St now.

Today really seemed like a situation where it was clear they hadn't been on the field much. First game got great pitching and no offense. Second game got more than enough offense, but the pitching let them down. Tons of walks in that second game and it led to a lot unneeded pitches for Haegele. She was pretty good when in the zone, but just struggled with command. Game got away from them when they went to the BP in the 6th and 7th just after they crawled back into the game in the bottom of the 5th.

If they can marry the two games together, they'll be fine. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win both tomorrow.

Grizfan-24 said:
Today really seemed like a situation where it was clear they hadn't been on the field much. First game got great pitching and no offense. Second game got more than enough offense, but the pitching let them down. Tons of walks in that second game and it led to a lot unneeded pitches for Haegele. She was pretty good when in the zone, but just struggled with command. Game got away from them when they went to the BP in the 6th and 7th just after they crawled back into the game in the bottom of the 5th.

If they can marry the two games together, they'll be fine. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win both tomorrow.

I think the hitting needed a game to wake up and shake off the nerves. This teams gonna be able to hit. Brock looked really good in game 1 and her experience showed where in game 2, 2 inexperienced and 1 very rusty pitcher let Fresno score too much. The girls out hit the bulldogs but it was just one of those days. Game 2 with Fresno will be interesting and the later game is a true road game vs Riverside that will be a much better barometer of where we’re at. Really excited for this year. Go Griz!

I'm always thrilled with ANY wins early in the season when playing teams that have no winter weather to deal with. I can't wait until the indoor practice facility is completed!

Welp, we were supposed to go catch the game against UCR, but my younger daughter had a last minute double header schedule against Whittier Select. Unfortunately, her team and the Griz played about the same today. Bummer.

Griz give it right back in the bottom of the 2nd. After 2 quick outs Joseph loads the bases on 3 consecutive walks and Haegle comes in on relief and throws a wild pitch.

Ugh an 0-5 start to the year. Granted it’s early and these other teams may just be much better. But that is first 0-5 start since 2018 :(

HookedonGriz said:
Ugh an 0-5 start to the year. Granted it’s early and these other teams may just be much better. But that is first 0-5 start since 2018 :(

Pitching definitely was not up to the challenge. The sticks showed signs of life but way too many runs givin up. A lot of season though and in the big picture, this is essentially preseason. Butterfield not making any appearances isn’t a good sign either. Hopefully it’s something small and she’ll be ready soon.

Can't say the results surprise me but also surprising as well.

Two things stuck out, that outside of the great pitching of Brock in game one the staff struggled. Couldn't find the zone in any of the games. Walked 30 batters in 5 games which obviously isn't sustainable and pair that with the inability to get strikeouts (only 12 in 5 games), led to a lot of bloated pitch counts. Typical of early season pitching, regardless of level. Going to have to figure that out, because honestly with the way early season tournaments go, they are are going to be in for some really long games if they can't get more efficient.

The other thing was you could see from the way the games played out, it was the lack of big innings for the offense that spelled doom. That is a definite cold weather softball outcome, I'd expect the strikeouts to fall this weekend. Lots of K's with runners on and not a lot of tactical hitting went on this weekend. From what I gather, lots of swinging through pitches in the zone.

I think there are legit reasons to be concerned, but I do think the pitching issues will right themselves. The assumption was they thought they'd have a deeper group of pitchers this year. That didn't necessarily work out and without Butterfield, it felt a bit like it did at points last year. Too much traffic, too few K's, and too many long innings. The hitting will come around, because it is been the MO a bit over the years in the first few games.

Be interested to see how things play this weekend in Vegas.

Grizfan-24 said:

Two things stuck out, that outside of the great pitching of Brock in game one the staff struggled. Couldn't find the zone in any of the games. Walked 30 batters in 5 games which obviously isn't sustainable and pair that with the inability to get strikeouts (only 12 in 5 games), led to a lot of bloated pitch counts. Typical of early season pitching, regardless of level. Going to have to figure that out, because honestly with the way early season tournaments go, they are are going to be in for some really long games if they can't get more efficient.

The other thing was you could see from the way the games played out, it was the lack of big innings for the offense that spelled doom. That is a definite cold weather softball outcome, I'd expect the strikeouts to fall this weekend. Lots of K's with runners on and not a lot of tactical hitting went on this weekend. From what I gather, lots of swinging through pitches in the zone.

I think there are legit reasons to be concerned, but I do think the pitching issues will right themselves. The assumption was they thought they'd have a deeper group of pitchers this year. That didn't necessarily work out and without Butterfield, it felt a bit like it did at points last year. Too much traffic, too few K's, and too many long innings. The hitting will come around, because it is been the MO a bit over the years in the first few games.

Good analysis. Thanks for this. :thumb:

I
CDAGRIZ said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I hope to try to see them when they are here in San Diego in early May. Hopefully by that point they will have gotten some of the wrinkles ironed out.

Grizfan-24 said:
I
CDAGRIZ said:

I hope to try to see them when they are here in San Diego in early May. Hopefully by that point they will have gotten some of the wrinkles ironed out.

Nice. I hope so, too. I know my girls both throw/hit differently indoors versus out. Same thing as in golf. I have to imagine it's tough to shake the winter off for the Griz, but I think they'll get there. They played some pretty good teams that didn't have an offseason.

Back