• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BOTH Very Bad Idea ... NO Automatic Bids

IdaGriz01

Not sure how this even became a topic of discussion ... but it is, apparently. And the impact would go well beyond HBCU programs.
https://andscape.com/features/coach...ould-squeeze-mid-majors-out-of-march-madness/

Since expansion of the men's BBall field – probably to 80, at least – seems like it's going to happen: Why would anyone even think of doing away with automatic bids? Sure, some totally crap teams get in, but right now some not-very-god teams already get in. That will just increase if they go to 80.

But the possibility of big upsets is what makes March Madness a signature event, IMO.

How many people even wanted to watch Michigan State -- with a 10-10 B1G record and 3-7 road record -- lose to UNC by 20 this year? That team was a verified, thoroughbred, boring also-ran. And those teams already get in.

Everybody wants to watch first- and second-round Cinderella matchups.
I don't understand how extinguishing the magic of the opening weekend would even be on the table. If anything, give conference regular-season and tourney champs both auto-bids.
Then we all get a fun Indiana State game instead of not watching them show out in the NIT. And we keep out at least some of the major conference backwash.

I would really hope that the NCAA wouldn't be stupid enough to take away auto bids, especially because I think almost all P5 coaches know the importance of auto bids for everyone. I think people should take things with a grain of salt when guys like Sankey and Izzo make comments about eliminating auto bids. They've never spent a day at the mid major level so they just truly don't get it. These days, most P5 coaches came from the mid major level and they understand the importance of auto bids. I believe even Charlie Baker said he does not want to eliminate auto bids and if they were to expand the field, he would only be in favor of expanding it to 72 teams. I'd be curious to hear CBS and Turner's take on this as I wouldn't think they'd want a 17-17 Florida State team diluting the field over a 29-5 Indiana State team that everyone's gonna tune in to watch. Which of those teams do you think viewers would rather watch?

Greg Sankey is in the minority on this. He does not call the shots in the college sports world. Yes, he is a powerful voice, but 95% of college athletics and even TV executives I'm willing to bet disagree with him on this

The good news is that Sankey’s “suggestion” blew up in his face, when the SEC (he’s their commissioner) went 3-5 in the first round and only one of their eight “contenders” made it to the final four. Here’s just one of many push-backs (from a guy who covers the SEC for USA today 😅).

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...dness-upsets-sec-ncaa-tournament/73013728007/

I would really hope that the NCAA wouldn't be stupid enough to take away auto bids ... I believe even Charlie Baker [NCAA president] said he does not want to eliminate auto bids and if they were to expand the field, he would only be in favor of expanding it to 72 teams. I'd be curious to hear CBS and Turner's take on this as I wouldn't think they'd want a 17-17 Florida State team diluting the field over a 29-5 Indiana State team that everyone's gonna tune in to watch. Which of those teams do you think viewers would rather watch?

Greg Sankey is in the minority on this. He does not call the shots in the college sports world. Yes, he is a powerful voice, but 95% of college athletics and even TV executives I'm willing to bet disagree with him on this
Baker may favor an expansion to only 72, but my research suggests that the consensus among coaches and commentators is: If we’re going to expand, let’s go right to 80 bids.

I was curious as to what an 80-field setup would have looked like this year. Start with 11 top conference tournament seeds that also won their conference tournaments and got bids under the current system. There were also 6 that lost in the tournament and got bids anyway … all but one were from P5 conferences and were “locks” to get bids going in (the other was from the near-power Mountain West). That meant that 15 of the 32 #1 conference tournament seeds lost in the tournament. None of those got bids to the Big Dance … six accepted bids to the NIT (not sure how many might have been invited, but said “no” … I know there were some).

The “easy” expansion notion is to give regular-season champions an automatic bid. I see three problems with that notion. It starts with the fact that we have 15 teams on our list, but we need only 12 to get the proposed 80.
Second, it’s easy to see that some (many) teams that are confident of getting a bid (almost exclusively from P5 conferences) simply don’t play as hard in their tournaments. That’s just a fact … which could be made worse with “guaranteed” bids. On the other hand, it would make winning the regular season a big plus … a significant gain, and worth the downside, IMO.
Aside from that, some of the teams on that list really are total crap. Thus, you would need to impose a cutoff. Of course, I do not see that as a real problem. The easy call for this year would be a NET rank of over 200: Sorry Eastern Kentucky (17-13, NET 216), Norfolk State (21-10, NET 221) and Central Connecticut State (19-10, NET 253), but you’re gone. FWIW, EWU (21-10, NET 141) would have received a bid.

To maintain a semblance of the current schedule, they might need to have 32 games where they now have the “First Four.” However, since most would only be streamed, the networks would have more choices for picking a slate to draw viewers to actual TV broadcasts.
Likely to happen? I give it 50-50, at best.

If the auto bids disappear, it will be because the Power schools are breaking away and having there own tournament.
This is inevitable and will kill March Madness as a national obsession. The end of the NCAA's main funding source, what will it mean for minor sports post seasons? Doubt the Big Boys weep, they won't care if their version is only worth a quarter of the Big Dance's TV contract because they get to keep ALL the money.

Back