• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Radio

grizvox

While I hesitate to jump in here I felt compelled after last night reading another inaccurate post about the coach's radio show.
Here it is folks - If you have or had a question for anyone on the radio show, have at it.
No, I'm not saying the question will be answered to your satisfaction but everyone has, always has had and always will have as long as I'm a part of it, full access to the airways.
I've been doing a coach's show in one form or another since I started the whole thing with Don Read in 1987 and we have never screened calls for identitiy or subject matter at any radio station I have been affiliated with.
I have always believed that people are respectful - which often does not happen here - and have spent my journalistic life protecting the right for anyone to express themselves.
While I have read this forum for some times and even respond to it on the air as I did in my wrap up after the Hauck interview in the post game Friday night, I am not interested in getting into a pissing match over anything.
Sure the personal attacks bother me and often cause me to consider a response, but there always are going to be those folks that feel a need to do that especially in anonymity. I guess we can't all be perfect.
I take worthwhile criticism to heart but it goes with the territory and after all I have broad shoulders.
You all are entitled to your opinion and while as I said Friday night I sometimes don't like it, but I have spent my life defending your right to say what you want.
In closing: I worked as a print and radio news reporter in Missoula from 1984 until 2004 and when I did so, I challenge anyone I dealt with to question how much information I gleaned during an interview.
But my position as Voice of the Grizzlies is not that position. Make no mistake about it, I choose to be an advocate of the Grizzly program and deal with it from a positive point of view. I trust you will respect my opinion as I do yours.
For anyone who knows me, you realize also that I am an optimimist who believes the Griz are going to win every game I broadcast - about 800 and counting.
Again thanks for any accolades. I appreciate and respect the criticisms although being called an idiot because of misspeaking during six hours on the air live is hurtful.
But don't get on here and state just plain mistruths.
The coach's show is open to everyone and while you might not like the answer, you are free to ask what you may.
Happy holidays everyone and Semper Fi.
Mick Holien

Thanks Mick,

Feel free to post more during the season. I think Griz fans in general just want the winning tradition to continue and while I also don't condone personal attacks, it has become almost passe' to do that which I hope does not continue next year.

We are, I feel, the epitome of I-AA, now the CS, and strive to be the best in the nation. This means the coaches, team, and the fans (we take pride making an obscene amount of noise). Sometimes we fans, me included, wish some of the harder hitting questions would be asked and answered (OC etc.) and this is not trying to be negative, just fans interested in the program.

Congrats on another great year, (and putting up with Gurnsey :laugh:)

Mick,

Thanks for another great (football) year. I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to you over the years.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I appreciate the tribute to the seniors last night. Could you put a print version on here or the radio web site, or even the audio?

Keep up the optimism. It beats the hell out of the alternative.

On to basketball.

Go Griz!

Ignore the crap, Mick. Some people's kids, eh?

Nothing sends chills up my spine quite like a patented Mick Holien "Touchdown Montana!". Now if you could just knock some sense into that yahoo that sits next to you on the broadcast... :laugh:

Thank you Mick. I have season tickets and I don't go to the games without my radio, and I don't watch TV for away games without the radio on. You are the voice of the Grizzlies for me - don't ever stop. :thumb:

Thanks for another year, Mick (and Gurns). I, for one, enjoy listening to you two when I can't be at the games. I mute the TV and tune in to 1290. You guys bring a great down-home feeling to GrizNation. You are the local voice and should always speak positively about the local team (and I can always subtract one yard and know right where the ball is placed).

Please keep up on the positive advocacy of our Montana Grizzlies in spite of whatever hateful ranting Alpha spews out. Eventually, he might even catch on to being positive about the Griz. But no one should hold their breath waiting for that to happen.

Alpha
Aren't you the person who said I know you can't get on the radio show? So where's your credibility?
If there seems to be some interest, I'll post the print version of teh end of the season wrapup when I get a chance, but there's so much positive stuff I'm not sure this is the forum for it.

grizvox said:
Alpha
Aren't you the person who said I know you can't get on the radio show? So where's your credibility?
If there seems to be some interest, I'll post the print version of teh end of the season wrapup when I get a chance, but there's so much positive stuff I'm not sure this is the forum for it.

Nice burn Mick. :thumb:

Are you sure you're a Newbie?

:clap:

I enjoy listening to 'ya Mick, please keep up the good work. I think with every public job there will always be criticism and I really do believe that you've a damn fine job.

grizvox said:
Alpha

I still stand by that comment, I have called in the past and magically never get on. No big deal really but hey anyone could hit those softballs out of the park.

I don't want to get into a pissing match with you "Mr Voice of the Grizzlies" I like you and Gurnsey on the radio.

But really has the coach ever answered a hard question on your show? It is always lollypops and gumdrops and if I listen I have to turn it off at some point, it's too fake.

Mick,

As far as this guy is concerned, you do a hell of a job for the Griz and are a true asset. It will be a sad day in Griz Nation when you are not calling the games anymore. ( Hope that doesn't happen.)

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I just don't see where the nays sayers are coming from when they talk negatively about you or your work. No Griz game day is complete without my head phones on and turned to 1290...AND I am at the games...its not like I need it to be filled in with whats going on...I'm there. It just makes the gameday experience that much more enjoyable to me. And I for one hope you are around for a long time to come.

I'm not trying to kiss your a$$, just giving you one honest opinion from a greatful Griz Fan!!

"Mute the TV...Turn up Mick!"

GO GRIZ!!!!!

TheBud said:
:laugh:
grizvox said:
...but there's so much positive stuff I'm not sure this is the forum for it.

I would say this, the upset people on here are usually the loudest, I do not think the majority of this board is "negative" stuff. I believe that there are some posters who are objective.

The vast majority of this board is a very positive group of people who enjoy chatting about all things UofM.

Re/MaxGriz said:
TheBud said:
:laugh:
grizvox said:
...but there's so much positive stuff I'm not sure this is the forum for it.

I would say this, the upset people on here are usually the loudest, I do not think the majority of this board is "negative" stuff. I believe that there are some posters who are objective.

The vast majority of this board is a very positive group of people who enjoy chatting about all things UofM.

Very true Re/Max this board is such a circle jerk of positiveness it can't be considered valid. Nothing is good and right 100% of the time. Except maybe GWB.

I didn't say that, there are objective posters and postive posters that make up the majority of the board. I think the majority of this board reflects the majority of Griz Nation with the positive and excited approach to Grizzly Athletics.

Back