• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kramer Offered Idaho Job...

GRIZNATION

I've been told by my (reliable bobcat connections) that coach Kramer was offered the job tonight. He will be leaving Montana State. Announcement tomorrow. I think he will be a good fit at Idaho, and he did a good job at Montana State. Best of luck to the Bobcats on their search.

Possible successor for HC of the MSU putty-tats? Jerry Glanville no less. @ one time a former Bobkate, I mean bobcake, huh. 'cat....there, now I got it right, I think; @ least that's what they say over @ bobcatnation. Otherwise known as where the 'Bozo' in Bozo-ville cometh from. They could bring back Earle Solomonson as well I guess; wouldn't bother me any.

Big One 25 said:
Maybe they could get Suge Knight to coach them.

He'd fit right in with the Kitties. They'd have to change their mascot though. They'd become the Bozeman Bloods. :laugh:

Looking more and more like Kramer.

Smith out of picture; Kramer may be Idaho's top candidate

By TIM DUMAS Chronicle Sports Writer

Montana State head football coach Mike Kramer had a phone interview with University of Idaho athletic director Rob Spear on Tuesday morning regarding the coaching vacancy at the Moscow school.

Then it was back to usual mid-December business: watching game tape and making recruiting visits.

"I had a one-hour conversation with the University of Idaho," Kramer said in the afternoon before making a recruiting stop in Belgrade. "Just a get-to-know-you. And when that ended, they said they'd get back to me."

For the second time this year, Kramer is one of the leading candidates at Idaho, which is without a coach again after Dennis Erickson left for Arizona State on Saturday.

It appears Kramer now is the top candidate after former Idaho and Michigan State head coach John L. Smith has pulled his name out of consideration, according to the Spokesman-Review in Spokane, Wash.

The paper also reported that in addition to Kramer, Idaho interviewed Washington State defensive coordinator Robb Akey.

In February, Kramer was second to Erickson. Although Kramer visited Moscow then to speak with Spear, he called that interview "preliminary."

This time, Idaho's interest is more serious, especially after Erickson bolted so quickly.

"This is now formal," Kramer said. "Idaho wants to do a thorough evaluation, so I can't begrudge them. Maybe they moved too fast last time."

Spear said in an e-mail Tuesday that hiring a coach for the long term is important. He was quoted earlier this week as saying that a significant buyout clause will be built into the contract.

"There are no guarantees on how long anyone will stay," Spear said Tuesday, "but we will require that certain provisions be placed in the contract to make it difficult to leave."

When the Idaho position was open in February, the school was prepared to offer a five-year contract worth $250,000 per year. Spear said Tuesday that his contract package this time would be "negotiable."

The most Montana State can offer is a three-year deal with significantly less money. Kramer's current one-year contract expires June 30, 2007, and the school has until Dec. 31 to notify coaches if their contracts aren't going to renewed.

If Idaho makes an offer to Kramer, "we'll have to discuss it and follow through from there," MSU athletic director Peter Fields said Tuesday from his office. "The money is nowhere near ... we can't come close to that. We can sweeten the pot some, but I can't say that we can get to where Idaho is."

Other factors that may pull Kramer to Moscow are that both he and his wife, Sandi, are from the area and that Kramer played his college ball at Idaho. The Kramers also have a home in Coeur d'Alene.

Kramer, who took an MSU team that was 0-11 his first year in 2000 to three Big Sky Conference championships over the past five years, also is enticed by the fact that Idaho (4-8 this past season) hasn't had a winning season since 1999. Plus, the Vandals' primary rival in the Western Athletic Conference is Boise State, which has turned into a national power and has the edge in attendance and resources, an advantage much like Montana enjoys over Montana State.

Kramer also took an Eastern Washington program that was 13-20 in his first three seasons and turned it into a Big Sky champ and a national semifinalist in 1997. It's that underdog role that he relishes.

"I love what we've achieved here and we're not done," he said, "but there's an opportunity there (Idaho), in a conference that's made some strides."

Kramer was not shy in explaining his desire to coach at Idaho.

"It's something that I'm very much interested in," he said. "I'm not really torn; I haven't been offered the job at Idaho. I don't have to make the decision yet. I think I'm a worthy candidate.

"If Idaho has the ability to pay me that kind of money and give me a five-year contract, well then that's beyond the resources that is going to be allowed by Montana State and the university system."

Fields added that his hands are tied at this point.

"You hope that it's a good thing when somebody wants to come and hire your coach," he said. "I'm not in the process, I'm a bystander. I'm sitting back watching from afar."

Good thing since it was reported he cleaned his office out two days ago. Would have been embarrassing to move back in.
Now clean out or up the program.

According to the Vandals blog (http://spokesmanreview.com/blogs/vandals/) the news report out of Boise was not true.

KTVB is wrong. I just got an email from Becky Paul stating that there is NO news conference scheduled today (Wed) and that they will give enough time for people to make travel arrangements to attend a press conference WHEN THERE IS NEWS TO REPORT.

Another name they are kicking around as a wild card for the Idaho job is Van Troxel, the current coach of Lake City HS in C d'A (formerly at Hellgate in Missoula). His dad, Ed Troxel, was the Vandal coach at one time. His son Chad also played for the Vandals, and of course his other son, Matt, is a Grizzly.

F.T.C. said:
According to the Vandals blog (http://spokesmanreview.com/blogs/vandals/) the news report out of Boise was not true.

KTVB is wrong. I just got an email from Becky Paul stating that there is NO news conference scheduled today (Wed) and that they will give enough time for people to make travel arrangements to attend a press conference WHEN THERE IS NEWS TO REPORT.

Another name they are kicking around as a wild card for the Idaho job is Van Troxel, the current coach of Lake City HS in C d'A (formerly at Hellgate in Missoula). His dad, Ed Troxel, was the Vandal coach at one time. His son Chad also played for the Vandals, and of course his other son, Matt, is a Grizzly.

North Texas dipped into the HS ranks for their new Head Coach. Of course he was 77-1 in the highest division in Texas, along with being a former QB at Texas.

http://www.theolympian.com/103/story/55723.html

Kramer will be at UofI campus tomorrow for an interview...
don't be suprised if that turns into a press conference.

More info on the Idaho search...
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/vandals/

UI morning sweep
Here are some of the Wednesday morning articles on Idaho's search for a new football coach: From the S-R, Lewiston Tribune, Statesman, Bozeman Chronicle, and Great Falls Tribune. Here's more on the arrests of a current MSU football and two ex-players in the Chronicle and Great Falls.

Kramer appears to be the leading candidate, but Idaho is believed to be conducting further interviews. Kramer will interview Thursday on the UI campus.

For what it's worth, a Boise TV station is reporting that Kramer will be hired at Idaho, citing sources close to NewsChannel7.

The station previously reported that a news conference was expected today, but that was changed on the Web site when Idaho sent an e-mail to media that no news conference is scheduled - in capital letters.

Brother Bear said:
Kramer will be at UofI campus tomorrow for an interview...
don't be suprised if that turns into a press conference.

It's all rumors to date, but that scenario wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I would really hate to see Kramer go, but I certainly will wish him the best if he does!

Bennett may be interviewing at Idaho
By Jim Meehan
Staff writer
December 14, 2006

It appears there is at least one more candidate for the Idaho football job.

Blaine Bennett, John L. Smith's assistant head coach and receivers coach at Michigan State this season, appears to be on Idaho's list, joining Montana State's head coach Mike Kramer and Washington State defensive coordinator Rob Akey.

Reached Thursday morning, Bennett said he was at an airport flying to Spokane to see his parents "who live on the North side."

Asked if he would be speaking with Idaho officials, Bennett said "you will have to talk to Rob Spear (UI athletics director) about that."

It was Smith's understanding that Bennett would get a look at Idaho. Spear has stated he will not return phone calls during the search.

A native of Walla Walla, Bennett began his collegiate career as a quarterback for Dennis Erickson at Idaho (1983-85), where he lettered on the Vandals' 1985 Big Sky Conference championship team that finished 9-3. He then became a two-year starter at quarterback for his father "Shorty" at Whitworth 1986-87).

In other news, Smith, who pulled out of the Idaho search earlier this week, said he expected to visit with Dennis Erickson today (Thursday) about possibly joining his staff at ASU.

Grizbacker1 said:
Bennett may be interviewing at Idaho
By Jim Meehan
Staff writer
December 14, 2006

It appears there is at least one more candidate for the Idaho football job.

Blaine Bennett, John L. Smith's assistant head coach and receivers coach at Michigan State this season, appears to be on Idaho's list, joining Montana State's head coach Mike Kramer and Washington State defensive coordinator Rob Akey.

Reached Thursday morning, Bennett said he was at an airport flying to Spokane to see his parents "who live on the North side."

Asked if he would be speaking with Idaho officials, Bennett said "you will have to talk to Rob Spear (UI athletics director) about that."

It was Smith's understanding that Bennett would get a look at Idaho. Spear has stated he will not return phone calls during the search.

A native of Walla Walla, Bennett began his collegiate career as a quarterback for Dennis Erickson at Idaho (1983-85), where he lettered on the Vandals' 1985 Big Sky Conference championship team that finished 9-3. He then became a two-year starter at quarterback for his father "Shorty" at Whitworth 1986-87).

In other news, Smith, who pulled out of the Idaho search earlier this week, said he expected to visit with Dennis Erickson today (Thursday) about possibly joining his staff at ASU.

I never even considered Blaine...top notch guy, and a good guy.

Blaine Bennett Bio

5 years as QB Coach and recruiting Coordinator for Purdue, prior to the MSU job. He would be a steal as a head coach for the Bobcats as well.

Grizbacker1 said:
F.T.C. said:

North Texas dipped into the HS ranks for their new Head Coach. Of course he was 77-1 in the highest division in Texas, along with being a former QB at Texas.

http://www.theolympian.com/103/story/55723.html

77-1 at the Highest level in Texas 5A!!!! I believe he coached at North Texas before this hiring.

Back