• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Pick the record- if the Griz were in the WAC

NavyBlue

Since the board is a little slow this time of year, I thought this might be interesting. If the Griz were in the WAC and playing a WAC schedule plus the Bobcats, pick the record. Since we already know that they will steamroll the Big Sky again, with one league loss max.

Here is the schedule: and my predictions

Hawaii - win
@San Jose State- probable win
Fresno State- win
@Idaho - Easy win
Boise State- Loss
@Louisiana Tech - probable win
Utah State- probable win
@New Mexico State- win
@Nevada- possible win
Montana State- win

I think with this ten game schedule the Griz could likely finish right about 8-2. Not too bad.

possible wins? idaho,nmsu,utah state,msu......so 4-6 would be my guess. i watched alot of wac games last season, 4 wins is not unreasonable,imo

Keep in mind, I'm somewhat of a fan of the idea of moving up. However, I don't see the Griz going 8-2 :(

I'm guessing they'd pick up wins against Idaho, New Mexico State and Utah State. San Jose State would be a possible win..but playing them on the road would make it kind of iffy. Fresno would be a loss most likely, as would Nevada, Hawaii, and Louisiana Tech. Boise would be a loss. MSU would be a win :) I'd guess for the first year in the WAC 5-5, with a record of 4-5 in the WAC. Anything better than 5-5 in the first year after a move up would be very impressive.

After a few years of recruiting, exposure as a FBS school with great fan support, etc etc... that record would improve quite a bit I'm sure.

NavyBlue said:
Since the board is a little slow this time of year, I thought this might be interesting. If the Griz were in the WAC and playing a WAC schedule plus the Bobcats, pick the record. Since we already know that they will steamroll the Big Sky again, with one league loss max.

Hawaii - win
Fresno State- win
@Idaho - Easy win
Boise State- Loss
Utah State- probable win
@New Mexico State- win
@Nevada- possible win
Montana State- win

I think with this ten game schedule the Griz could likely finish right about 8-2. Not too bad.

I could see about a .500 record there, but not 8-2, can't see wins @ Fresno, NMSU, or Nevada

Re/max wouldn't the Griz beat NMSU? Utah State almost always beats them like a drum. USU has beaten and played Fresno very close in recent years, if we can why couldn't the Griz?

NavyBlue said:

Hawaii - win
Fresno State- win
@Idaho - Easy win
Boise State- Loss
Utah State- probable win
@New Mexico State- win
@Nevada- possible win
Montana State- win

Hawaii - Loss
SJSU - Loss (maybe a win)
Fresno - Loss
Idaho - Win
BSU - Loss
LA Tech - Loss
USU - Toss Up
NMSU - Win
Nevada -- Loss
MSU -- win

4-6 conference with a OOC win or two tossed in a possible 6-6 overall.

NavyBlue said:

Hawaii - win
Fresno State- win
@Idaho - Easy win
Boise State- Loss
Utah State- probable win
@New Mexico State- win
@Nevada- possible win
Montana State- win

Based on records, strength of schedule, etc, I see:

Wins: SJSU, Idaho, Utah St, NMSU, MSU
Win - Loss: Hawaii or LA Tech (one or the other, not both wins)
Losses: BSU, Nevada, Fresno State (FSU has been down a bit, but I wouldn't count on that to last).
Results for these ten games: 6-4 Which, at the FBS levels, makes the Griz bowl-eligible.

Still, a season these days is 12 games, so lets add two probable cupcake wins: Wyoming, Washington St.
Overall 8-4, which looks pretty good.
(Isn’t this fun!) :woo:

NavyBlue said:

Hawaii - L
@San Jose State- W
Fresno State- L
@Idaho - W
Boise State- L
@Louisiana Tech - W?
Utah State- W
@New Mexico State- W
@Nevada- L
Montana State- W

If you guys would play up every once in a while it would be easier to make a prediction.

:p Kidding.

I honestly think some of these predictions (and by some, I mean anything over .500) are way out there. Yes, there are a couple of teams that UM could beat, but this conference has five teams that were in bowl games last year. Yes, there are too many bowl games, and a lot of not so good teams get into them, but a conference that has five programs that were in bowl games is a far cry from that of the Big Sky.

Oh, and @ Louisiana Tech being picked as a win or probable win? Crazy.

7-5 or 6-6 with our "present" team and 10 times more exciting games top to bottom than we play now. The only time we come close to a WAC game is against JMU or Cal Poly and a game occasionally with EWU or Weber. Now give Montana a couple years with 85 schollies and the ability to get recruits we LOSE now and we could get to 8-2 in the WAC no doubt. And with the consistency we have now too. This program is a winner and moving up a step wouldn't change that, only enhance it.

mporter said:
If you guys would play up every once in a while it would be easier to make a prediction.

:p Kidding.

I honestly think some of these predictions (and by some, I mean anything over .500) are way out there. Yes, there are a couple of teams that UM could beat, but this conference has five teams that were in bowl games last year. Yes, there are too many bowl games, and a lot of not so good teams get into them, but a conference that has five programs that were in bowl games is a far cry from that of the Big Sky.

Oh, and @ Louisiana Tech being picked as a win or probable win? Crazy.

Ouch ... on the "play up" bit.

Also, I have to (sorta) agree on the LA-Tech (im)probability -- that's why I projected that they might beat LA-Tech or Hawaii, but not both. (Although, you have to say, playing either of them in Missoula, late in the season, would be a different story.)

ronbo said:
7-5 or 6-6 with our "present" team and 10 times more exciting games top to bottom than we play now. The only time we come close to a WAC game is against JMU or Cal Poly and a game occasionally with EWU or Weber. Now give Montana a couple years with 85 schollies and the ability to get recruits we LOSE now and we could get to 8-2 in the WAC no doubt. And with the consistency we have now too. This program is a winner and moving up a step wouldn't change that, only enhance it.

Just trolling the board while I have a minute.

I know I keep making (harping on?) this point, but let's not overlook the fact that a 7-5 or 6-6 record -- at the FBS level -- makes a team bowl eligible. With the record that Griz fans have established for traveling to 1AA NC games, UM could become an attractive matchup for one of the [brand-name] bowls. Travel to any of the western bowls (Humanitarian, Sun, New Mexico, Las Vegas, etc) would actually be cheaper than getting to Chattie.

Being "bowl-eligible" for a game that means absolutely zilch is, to me, of little or no interest. I, for one, would far rather go to Chattanooga (and have done so on several occasions).

'68griz said:
Being "bowl-eligible" for a game that means absolutely zilch is, to me, of little or no interest. I, for one, would far rather go to Chattanooga (and have done so on several occasions).

Have you been to a bowl game featuring UM before? How do you know which would be more fun or significant? I can definitely think of about 5 dozen destinations more attractive for a weekend trip than Chattanooga, but that's only one of the factors.

'68griz said:

Been there, done that -- even saw the Griz win the NC (although at Marshall, not Chattie). What a rush!

BUT. Even a [brand-name] bowl has its own charms ... and pays better money and provides more national recognition. And no one with any objective view of football capability thinks that even the 1AA champion could consistently hang with a top-10 FBS team later in the season.
And don't tell me about App State. I LOVED that they pulled a giant upset, but that hinged on a freak athlete (who almost certainly will not play QB in the NFL) and an early-season ambush of an over-rated team.

Sadly, the ultimate choice comes between a VERY NICE (but relatively meaningless ... to the vast majority of football fans) FCS championship versus a possible win in a nationally-televised bonzo-bowl game. Sorry .. I wish it weren't so ... but that's reality. And if you don't think quality recruits notice these things, you're delusional.

Sorry, but it's the no-name bowl itself that I find meaningless. It has absolutely nothing to do with where it is located or where I should choose to spend a weekend in December/January.

'68griz said:
Sorry, but it's the no-name bowl itself that I find meaningless. It has absolutely nothing to do with where it is located or where I should choose to spend a weekend in December/January.
And its small college football that, but for alumni and its captured fans, the rest of the world finds meaningless. Small college football is for programs that get 8000 a game, not 25,000. At some point its time for Appy, Delaware and UM to take off the training wheels.

I think the FCS championship game is usually by far the most exciting game of the year when UM makes it. Not because there's an arbitrary acronym and the word "championship" associated with it, but because it's usually the toughest game of the year for the Griz. I know that it's not going to be easy. I know that a tough, evenly matched, dogfight is in store and the Griz better bring their A-game. Combine that with the fact that it's on ESPN2 so fans and recruits across the country get to watch, and it's a good deal for everyone.

A tough game and a slight exposure boost. That's what it's about to me. I don't see any more clout or prestige or significance to the FCS Championship than any bowl.

NavyBlue said:

Hawaii - win
Fresno State- win
@Idaho - Easy win
Boise State- Loss
Utah State- probable win
@New Mexico State- win
@Nevada- possible win
Montana State- win

As one who attends WAC games on a weekly basis, so long as they don't conflict with Weber games...

I would have to agree with the above assessment, the only impressive team is Boise, everyone else UM could have beat last year. Boise's the only consistent team in the entire conference.

I also think WSU woulda kicked Hawaii's trash if the game would have been in Ogden, especially since Hawaii lost to USU.

This past season I think 3 Big Sky teams could have at least 5-6 wins in the WAC:

Hawaii
San Jose State
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
Utah State
New Mexico State

I think ISU coulda beat NMSU. When I saw them play at USU it was really, really pathetic...

I personally don't think the WAC is much better than the 'Sky, I think if they actually played, a lot of people would be surprised.

I also thought it was hilarious that WSU's Higgins had 300+ passing yds, 20 1st downs at Utah, and USU had Utah at home and had just 8 1st downs and 100 total yds.

Back