• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Mariani and fellow seniors refuse to lose

BWahlberg

DONOR
What an amazing comeback. When it was 41-14 I felt like leaving, I was stunned as I think most all Griz fans were (players too). They'd played unlike anyother Hauck-coached team I'd seen before, at halftime out at my tailgate there was not a lot of confidence that we'd all see each other the next week.

Gotta give huge props to all of the players on both offense and defense that fought hard and were a part of the comeback. It would've been easier with just 21:00 left in the game to pack it in, let SDSU cruise and call it a season, but that's not what this team wanted, and it started with Marc's huge 98 yard kick return. BTW - I now have to eat crow, just yesterday I was saying don't having him return kicks b/c Jabin and Peter were putting up better numbers than Mac did last year. Whoops.

Marc Mariani is the greatest Griz WR ever. The way he fought and battled out there, obviously a little hobbled and probably still in pain from the hits he took last week he was a warrior. Doing the APY math he had 171 receiving, 40 on punts, and 178 on kicks so thats a total of 389 APY for Marc alone, that's more yards than SDSU had on offense today.

In addition to Marc our other senior WR, Ty Palmer was a beast out there, especially late, he would not be denied a 1st down, carrying guys with him, dragging the pile, and laying out some serious hits. Stephen Pfahler had a key and very tough catch on our game leading drive on 3rd down, great play from him as well. The 2nd half Oline was amazing in pass protection, loved it, they corrected from the 1st half and were dominant with the SDSU pass rush, also they got some good pushes along the goal-line.

And wow, what a great 2nd half for our defense. With guys like Schann, Beef, Fisher, & Palmer leading the way. Suddenly our LBs and Safeties went from tackling the SDSU backs 5-6 yards downfield to meeting them in the backfield. Palmer and Campbell has great pressure and wow what a great day for Severin, picking off two tipped passes. The defense was given a raw deal in the 1st half given short field a lot, and getting flagged for penalties that the refs weren’t calling on SDSU, but they really locked down in the 2nd, what a performance.

That 1st half was downright bad, at one point I noticed in the student section someone was waiving a sign that read, “Fire Hauck”. Oddly that guy vanished as the game went on. I cannot believe that this team was able to overcome such a gross first half, and a bad start to the 2nd, to rattle off 40 unanswered points and win the game going away. It seemed like it was a perfect comedy of errors in the 1st, inconsistent QB pressure, lack of pressure on the running game, missed tackles on defense. On offense, bad passes, ugly turnovers, poor execution. But then suddenly that was all gone, and the Griz we know came out and with support from those that didn’t choose to leave in the 3rd that this IS a good football team.

Props SDSU, you guys are incredible, your Oline is incredibly impressive and your running back Minnett is a baller. The QB O’Brien made some good throws early but faded late, I was impressed with him as an RS frosh for the first half of the game. Your LBs are great against the run, and your D line is incredibly quick. You’ve got a lot of upside with your program and while I know it’s gut-wrenching right now hold your heads up, you’ll be back next year I’ll bet.

An amazing 2nd half, way to fight Griz, lets keep this going!

Wow
Someone said they thought it was quiet. I thought it was a great crowd, a little shocked mid way, but kept up the noise and it grew and grew. Props to the North End Zone as usual.

A little disappointed to come home and seeing an overrated thread from a Griz Fan.

How about the play of Severin Campbell today...not a senior but his name needs to be mentioned. If he makes a habit of playing like he did today he will be an all-american.

Just got back to Great Falls and all I can say is wow....one of the most exciting games I've been to.

slick_willy said:
How about the play of Severin Campbell today...not a senior but his name needs to be mentioned. If he makes a habit of playing like he did today he will be an all-american.

I think we're really starting to see him play to potential like the coaches were hoping he would.

For 2 2/3 quarters, I thought it was the worst Griz game I have ever seen; then for the remaining 1 1/3 quarters it was the best I have ever seen. I am exhausted.

I was surprised at how much of the crowd was still there in the 4th quarter, and if we were quiet before; we more than made up for it in the 4th. I won't be able to speak very well until Monday.

Greatest comeback I have ever seen at any level! Simply amazing!

I truly believe Mariani ranks as one of the top 5 football players in Griz history...period.

Damn, where's the aspirin??? :eek: :lol: ;)

Like Clark Griswold said, "Holy shit... where's the Tylenol."

Mariani carried this team the whole 2nd half. Simply an amazing player. I'm sad we're watching his finals games as a Griz.

I thought the 4th quarter was probably the loudest I've ever heard WGS. Even the SEZ was getting into it.

MrTitleist said:
Like Clark Griswold said, "Holy shit... where's the Tylenol."

Mariani carried this team the whole 2nd half. Simply an amazing player. I'm sad we're watching his finals games as a Griz.

I thought the 4th quarter was probably the loudest I've ever heard WGS. Even the SEZ was getting into it.
There weren't many...but they did their part. It was loud as hell on my end near the NEZ. Absolutely ridiculous. My ears are ringing now that I can hear again.

Bronco said:
Props to the North End Zone as usual.

Mariani was giving the I'm-not-worthy bow to the NEZ after another false start late in the game.

The Jagrabbits didn't think that we could ever come back from that deficit either. Their coach was smiling and very happy in the 3rd Quarter.

Griz spotting the Jagrabbits 28 points on 3 very bad turn-overs and a blocked punt, then turn the game around to win by 2 scores was simply amazing.

I couldn't take my eyes off of the horror of the first 3 quarters. Then I couldn't believe my eyes throughout the 4th Quarter.

Thanks Griz coaches and players for allowing us fans another week to watch you play toward the NC.

Go Griz! You are the greatest.

TheBud said:
Bronco said:
Props to the North End Zone as usual.

Mariani was giving the I'm-not-worthy bow to the NEZ after another false start late in the game.

The Jagrabbits didn't think that we could ever come back from that deficit either. Their coach was smiling and very happy in the 3rd Quarter.

Griz spotting the Jagrabbits 28 points on 3 very bad turn-overs and a blocked punt, then turn the game around to win by 2 scores was simply amazing.

I couldn't take my eyes off of the horror of the first 3 quarters. Then I couldn't believe my eyes throughout the 4th Quarter.

Thanks Griz coaches and players for allowing us fans another week to watch you play toward the NC.

Go Griz! You are the greatest.

Amen brother. I'm still not convinced what I witnessed today was real. Infckingcredible!

Me and the crew were working the SEZ today-we yelled the entire game as loud as we could and tried to get others involved-one of the hardest and funnest games I have ever watched. As for the guy with the "fire Hauck" sign- I saw a 70 year old woman go down and take the sign from him and tear it up right in front of him-after the game I saw her and talked with her for awile. I first thanked her because my brothers and myself were thinking about going to have a chat with that fellow after we drug him from the stadium by his nut sack. We talked some more and my dad told her that she must be from Butte-she then told us that she was from Butte-GOTTA LOVE BUTTE!

That guy with the fire hauck sign sat right by me in the student section and many of the students flipped him off which was well deserved. Then at half time a older woman took the sign from him and ripped it up :lol: great to watch

grizaremoregooder said:
Me and the crew were working the SEZ today-we yelled the entire game as loud as we could and tried to get others involved-one of the hardest and funnest games I have ever watched. As for the guy with the "fire Hauck" sign- I saw a 70 year old woman go down and take the sign from him and tear it up right in front of him-after the game I saw her and talked with her for awile. I first thanked her because my brothers and myself were thinking about going to have a chat with that fellow after we drug him from the stadium by his nut sack. We talked some more and my dad told her that she must be from Butte-she then told us that she was from Butte-GOTTA LOVE BUTTE!

Leave it to Butte for a little perspective!

Unbelievable.

The first half was sickening to watch, but there was something about the way the Griz kept hanging in there that kept me believing.

Both teams had great skills and physical stamina. Today, I believe we won because our players and coaches were mentally tougher -- they didn't panic, they stayed focused, and they kept their heads in the game to the very end.

It's hard to find words to say much more than . . . unbelievable.

Thanks, Griz; I may never, ever watch a more exciting half of football in my life . . . hats off to a tremendous effort by a great team.

Great post, except the thinking about leaving part... I said that last year, and got my arse kicked here by several people, which I deserved... I mean, I'm a Seahawks fan... You wanna talk about "Thinking about leaving"??? But I don't... I wear the Griz colors on Saturday of course, and the Tatupu jersey on Sunday, and hope the Seahawks can pull off a miracle like the Griz did...

Shoot... I'm a friggin insomniac looking at the vids and reading about the comeback right now... I would knock myself out with some Nyquil right now, but the Falcons / Dolphins / Seahawks are on at 10...

Be worried SFA... Be very worried

Back