• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Food for thought: If this game does not sell out...

MiningCityGrizFan

...does that take away from the let's-move-up-to-the-next-level argument? Or the case for any future stadium expansions?

Think about it:

-A nationally televised game that will finish under the lights
-The two most successful teams in the FCS of the decade playing for a spot in the national championship
-An opportunity to watch one of the greatest FCS player of all-time (and likely the only two-time Payton award winner)
-The last game ever for Mark Mariani and these seniors to play in WaGriz (I'm still in denial)
-Oh yeah...all ticket prices are capped by the NCAA at $29 for the public, $5 for students, and $10 for students' guests.

If we can't sell out the stadium for a playoff game against a team like App State with a trip to the national championship on the line, who could possibly argue that we'd sell out regular season games against teams like New Mexico State for a trip to some bowl game that nobody has ever heard of and/or cares about?

The difference being that people living 900 miles away know for certain when the game against NMSU will be held months in advance, not 6 days in advance. It's not hard to plan a trip across town in a week. It's a little more difficult to plan a trip across 4 states in that period of time.

Actually it makes the exact opposite argument - if it means anything other than travel and expenses for 3 games between TG and Christmas is tough, it means the general fan base is not as excited about the playoffs in December as the people on E-Griz are. The NMSU analogy doesn't even make sense, since the Griz had a good crowd for Western State - surely the lowest WAC team would be a better draw than WSC, right?

This has been discussed and cussed over and over. While I'm going I know of some folks who aren't because.
1) They pay their $500.00 to the GSA and then purchase their tickets for the regular season.
2) Spend $70-$90 on gas to get to and from the game.
3) Spend $140 or so for hotel rooms
4) Spend $150 plus on meals etc

It all adds up and makes an expensive weekend at a time when some people are doing what they can to buy gifts for family and friends. I also have two friends who have company parties this weekend that they don't feel they can miss.

I think everybody should stop bitching about how full the stadium will or won't be and just worry about getting themsleves there to watch the game. In my opinion the reason playoff games tend to be louder then regular season games is because the people that show up REALLY want to be there as during the regular season you get a lot of folks that are there because it is the thing to do.

I hope people show up, but the only thing I know is my big mouth will be in standing up and screaming tomarrow around 1:30. That is what I can control, the rest I can't so I don't worry about it.

BOWL GAME S-CK ! We don't want anything handed to us like they do in the FBS , We will earn it ! GO GRIZ !!!

As another poster mentioned, this game and the lack of a sell out is the single best argument for a move up.

This game proves that UM fans (paying UM fans) don't care much for the playoffs. At least they don't care as much for the playoffs as they do for the regular season. It is truly a vocal minority who supports the idea of playing for a "national championship" and this non-sell out proves it. 100,000 people live in the greater missoula area and they can't sell out "the biggest game (Bob) in Griz history"? The people have spoken. The people want better regular season competition not some silly little extended season whose outcome matters to less than 23,000 people.

If people won't pay to go to the playoff games then we may as well move up and get some quality competition for the regular season.

I think lots of us agree that playoffs are preferable to bowl games, but the above posters have pointed out some of the biggest advantages to bowl games: it's easier to make travel arrangements for them and it's less expensive travelling to one bowl game (with way more advance notice) than travelling for 1-4 playoff/championships games (usually with less than a week's notice). I would also add to that list the personal sacrifice that players have to make with a 14-16 game season (injuries, finals, wear & tear, etc.). Still, we have App State in town, and this is pretty damn fun.

Hypothetical scenario.....

December 12, 2009: Boise State (always fighting for national respect) is playing Tim Tebow and the Florida Gators, at home. How many empty seats do they have?

I doubt too many would sit home because it's a little chilly, or the holiday crunch, etc.

Think about it....

MiningCityGrizFan said:
...does that take away from the let's-move-up-to-the-next-level argument? Or the case for any future stadium expansions?

Think about it:

-A nationally televised game that will finish under the lights
-The two most successful teams in the FCS of the decade playing for a spot in the national championship
-An opportunity to watch one of the greatest FCS player of all-time (and likely the only two-time Payton award winner)
-The last game ever for Mark Mariani and these seniors to play in WaGriz (I'm still in denial)
-Oh yeah...all ticket prices are capped by the NCAA at $29 for the public, $5 for students, and $10 for students' guests.

If we can't sell out the stadium for a playoff game against a team like App State with a trip to the national championship on the line, who could possibly argue that we'd sell out regular season games against teams like New Mexico State for a trip to some bowl game that nobody has ever heard of and/or cares about?

THANK YOU, PERFECTLY SAID

As people say, UM has a huge number of fans that travel from over 100 miles away on a weekly basis . . .

Asking fans to come fill up a stadium for 6-7 games a year (FBS) is different than asking fans to fill up a stadium 10 games a year.

3 factors: bad weather, holiday time/money crunch, and the inability to plan prior to 7 days in advance all are factors that put a dent in playoff attendance.

UM wouldn't be hosting games after thanksgiving if it weren't for these playoffs, so those 3 factors wouldn't come into play.

djollieballs said:
As another poster mentioned, this game and the lack of a sell out is the single best argument for a move up.

This game proves that UM fans (paying UM fans) don't care much for the playoffs. At least they don't care as much for the playoffs as they do for the regular season. It is truly a vocal minority who supports the idea of playing for a "national championship" and this non-sell out proves it. 100,000 people live in the greater missoula area and they can't sell out "the biggest game (Bob) in Griz history"? The people have spoken. The people want better regular season competition not some silly little extended season whose outcome matters to less than 23,000 people.

If people won't pay to go to the playoff games then we may as well move up and get some quality competition for the regular season.

If you asked 10 serious fans over the last few years who they'd most like to see the Griz play in WaGriz, I'd bet a steak dinner no fewer than 8 would say App State (gotta love hypothetical bets). Regardless, I don't think the "quality opponent" argument can be used for this one.

For all of the points I mentioned in my original post, do you really think their would be a better game or quality opponent than a semi-final playoff game against App State? The implications, the athletes, the lights, etc.?

I personally don't think even a regular season game against Boise St. would be on the same level as this...

Bring on the Mountaineers.

Go Griz!!!

Why is this such a big issue? The stadium will still be 95% full and everyone knows the different reasons why this game is more difficult than others to attend. This is not a black/white issue.

People need to settle down and stop boiling the ocean and thinking we have bigger implications over a small decrease in attendance.

Be positive and think about the Griz winning!

GO GRIZ!!

I believe you said it perfectly...there is no excuse besides money and obligations to keep someone from this game. COLD IS NOT A FACTOR...you can escape the cold through hot chocolate, a beer jacket, a coat, carharts, etc...

Regardless, this will be one of the loudest games EVER in Wa/Griz

General Disarray said:
As people say, UM has a huge number of fans that travel from over 100 miles away on a weekly basis . . .

Asking fans to come fill up a stadium for 6-7 games a year (FBS) is different than asking fans to fill up a stadium 10 games a year.

3 factors: bad weather, holiday time/money crunch, and the inability to plan prior to 7 days in advance all are factors that put a dent in playoff attendance.

UM wouldn't be hosting games after thanksgiving if it weren't for these playoffs, so those 3 factors wouldn't come into play.

Doesn't everyone budget and plan around three home playoff games by now?

Just kidding!!! I know some day the streak will end, but I'm enjoying the hell out it while I can...

I'll bet that there are more than a few older fans that would be at more temperate games that can't come to this game because of health concerns???

I bet it's because it's too cold. And some people probably do not like the noise. Too loud. Why don't you practice not making any noise. And get a dome, so that you can ruin football. I thought people were tough in Montana.

Just kidding, kind of. Still don't know why you guys flooded the field with ice - "broken pipes", just after winterizing 2 weeks ago.....what's the deal. Were you afraid the Mountaineers could get too good of footing on the field. Did they get what was said to be two inches of ice off the field?

Back