• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Former UM/Big Sky Coach Ekegren Passes Away

xtremegriz

Very sad news for the Missoula community. What a great guy.

http://missoulian.com/sports/high-school/article_fee6f2dc-1639-11e0-84ef-001cc4c03286.html

Pat Murphy remembers the day when he and fellow Missoula Big Sky assistant football coach Aarron Arledge were running a drill for wide receivers under the tutelage of head coach Gary Ekegren.
Murphy and Arledge were showing off their arms by throwing deep passes to the Eagles' receivers.
"We were kind of young and not the smartest coaches in world," said Murphy, now the head coach at Helena Capital. "We threw one a little too far and the kid jumped up for it and landed into Coach Ek and knocked his glasses off and broke them.
"He started marching over here. I said, ‘Aarron, if he comes over here I'm going to jump the fence and run home.' He goes, ‘Not me, I'm going to try to fight him.' Ek gets about halfway there and turns around, luckily. We were dumb young coaches and he had to put up with us, I guess. Couldn't find anyone better."
Murphy and others spoke fondly of Coach Ek on Saturday, a day after Ekegren died from pancreatic cancer at the age of 70.
Ekegren stepped aside from the Big Sky job after the 2009 season. He coached the Eagles for 20 seasons, compiling a record of 93-105 and winning the State AA title in 1994 with a 39-13 win over Missoula Hellgate.
He had a record of 186-170 in nearly 45 years of coaching that took him from Havre, to his hometown of Harlem, to Missoula Sentinel, to the University of Montana, to Longview, Wash., and finally to Big Sky.
"It's interesting how many people who are home for the holidays were inquiring about Ek and wanted to go see him," said Matt Johnson, who succeeded Ekegren as head coach of the Eagles. "That alone speaks volumes. Last night we sat around and told old stories. It won't be hard to remember him and what he stood for and all the values he brought and taught. He stood by what he said and lived the same way he taught and coached.
"The biggest thing I ever learned from him was that in the end it's the life lessons you learn from all of it that outweigh the sport. The one thing he always told me was that being a football coach is just an extension of the classroom. Other big parts were believing in kids and understanding kids and trying to make a difference and standing up for what you believe in and what's right. Those are some values I really bought into and feel like I follow that as well."
Ty Palmer played for Ekegren at Big Sky before moving on to a successful career as a Montana Grizzly. He visited Coach Ek just last Wednesday.
"He was the most motivational coach I had, but he did it in a quiet manner, he didn't yell or scream," Palmer said. "He didn't have to scare people to get them motivated. He was a guy you wanted to play for and do well for just because you respected him. That's what I remember most, the quiet confidence and a guy who really knew his stuff."
Palmer was also the subject of another Coach Ek story.
The Eagles were playing either Billings Senior or Bozeman, depending on who's telling the story. Palmer twisted his ankle, was slow to get up, then headed for the sidelines.
"Ty was one of our best offensive guys, he could catch it and run," Johnson said. "A couple of times in the game Ty had to come to the sidelines for whatever reason and I knew Ek was ticked because we needed him in there. He turned to (assistant coach Dan) Nile and said, ‘I don't ever want to see him in the game again. He's done.' I'm thinking, never? Maybe two plays and we can get him back in.
"He would just get fired up because he expected a lot out of everybody and wanted the best."
That story came up when Palmer visited with Coach Ek last week in the hospital.
"He was laughing and said, ‘I don't know why I did that,' " Palmer said.
Polson head coach Scott Wilson got his start right out of college as an assistant on Ekegren's staff. Both he and Murphy consider Coach Ek their mentor.
"I had a lot of respect for Gary and he taught me a lot about the game of football and a lot about being a good teacher in the classroom," Wilson said. "A lot of those things that he taught me have helped me grow both in the classroom and as a head football coach. I used to call him all the time to ask for advice, how he'd handle certain situations. The biggest thing is he was always my mentor."
And he did things the right way, Murphy said.
"He's such a classy person, a classy coach," Murphy said. "He does everything right. He really cares about the kids and the coaching staff, that's probably the thing that stands out about him the most.
"He took a Big Sky program that was one of smallest in the state and brought it up to one of top schools in the state. That says what a great coach he is and you look at his assistant coaches - Scott Wilson's at Polson and he's had success, I'm at Capital and we've had success - that comes directly from him."
Ekegren is survived by his wife Karen, daughter Ashley and sons Shane and Travis.
Services are pending.

Something else: Gary Ekegren was a patient, conscientious and careful teacher of his academic classes. If every teacher at BSHS had those same qualities, BSHS would benefit greatly. He was concerned, as far as I could tell, with every student, even if that student wasn't a shining star.

Naming MCPS Stadium after Coach Ek would be appropriate. I had the honor of 'playing' under him (read I was a terrible football player and spent most of my time on the sidelines). The most remarkable thing about the man was that in the years after I graduated and I would run into him he was so genuinely interested in what I was doing. He was a class act.

A few things about the guy that I remember from him as a coach...

We lost to billings west in the first game of the 94 season. He grabbed all of the seniors and found a abandoned part of Billings Senior High School, tore us apart left and right for about 20 minutes and then at the end he told us how good we could be. This was our team, we had a chance to be great.

He was old school. Old school in his offense, old school in his defense. He didn't want to move away from the power offense. Yet the single best coaching decision I have ever seen was when we came out in 4 wide against Helena Capital in 94, and lit up HC in the state semis. HC had no answer.

He could be a grizzly bear on the football field, but all of the people who ever played for him would probably attest that there was only one thing that concerned him the most. Getting the most out of every single one of the kids. I just hope that I become half of the man he was as a football coach.

He was a class, class act. We'll miss him for sure.

Coach Ek took an interest in all the guys that played football at the local high schools; he recognized talent and heart and just liked the game and the guys who played it. One of them was Dylan Steigers, who some of you may remember died in May in a scrimmage at Eastern Oregon U. Dyl played for Sentinel in those really down years. In spite of Sentinel's record . . . Dylan was the top reciever in State AA his junior year. But when he was a senior, there wasn't anyone to play QB, so Dylan did, even though he'd never played it. It was Pete Joseph's first year and he told us he didn't have anyone else. Needless to say, Dylan's stats were not so sparkley in 2005. But at the Coaches statewide meeting to determine who would be invited to play in the East West Shrine Game, Gary Ekegren stood up and said "If Dylan Steigers doesn't deserve to play in the Shrine, neither do any of my guys from Big Sky." Dylan played and caught a touchdown pass from Jeff Larson.

I hope Dylan and Coach Ek are throwing the ball around up there.

Latest posts

Back