• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM at No.Colorado - Kicked off both halves?

Proud Griz Man

DONOR
I know the Griz offense has been inconsistent, but why did UM kick off at start of both halves ?
Did UM choose to give up the ball at start of 3rd to have the wind at our backs in 4th ?

Drive Chart
Team .... Qtr .... Spot .... ... Time .... ..Obtained
NC . . . . .1st . . . H25 . . . . . 15:00 . . . . K i c k o f f

Drive Chart
Team .... Qtr .... Spot .... ... Time .... ..Obtained
NC . . . . .3rd . . .V00 . . . . .14:46 . . . . K i c k o f f

Talked about it in other threads but the Griz deferred to choose the direction with the wind... or something.

The box score states Montana won the coin toss and deferred to the second half.

It doesn't state what election Montana made at the start of the third quarter, but I assume they elected to defend the goal line on the right side of the screen, and then Northern Colorado took the ball again.

ps they didn't defend that goal line worth a crap on the ensuing kickoff.

I have never seen any team do that. That's equivalent to a turnover and in this case it led to a touchdown.

UMAlum said:
I have never seen any team do that. That's equivalent to a turnover and in this case it led to a touchdown.

We essentially gave UNC an extra possession - and insult to injury, they scored right away on it.

BWahlberg said:
UMAlum said:

We essentially gave UNC an extra possession - and insult to injury, they scored right away on it.

After getting a nice break at the end of the 2nd with the INT and the field goal, I thought that UM could build on that with a nice Offensive drive to start the 3rd. :?: :?: :?: Instead we kick into the wind, have poor special teams discipline in giving up the KOR, and let UNC right back into the game.

We need to get this question to Delaney this week, "did we choose to kick off twice, or did we just make a mistake at the coin flip?"
If the coaching staff deliberately made the decision to give the ball up, it is just plain Stupid. :cry:
If it happened by error at the coin flip, then make it a learning moment for the team and move on.
Go Griz!

GottaluvGriz said:
We need to get this question to Delaney this week, "did we choose to kick off twice, or did we just make a mistake at the coin flip?"
If the coaching staff deliberately made the decision to give the ball up, it is just plain Stupid. :cry:
If it happened by error at the coin flip, then make it a learning moment for the team and move on.
Go Griz!

Sundberg talked about it on radio broadcast. It was intentional.

wbtfg said:
GottaluvGriz said:
Go Griz!

Sundberg talked about it on radio broadcast. It was intentional.
I guess I was just being hopeful that we really did not intend to give up a possession. :roll:
Wow.....not smart. And pretty glaring when it backfires like it did yesterday.

Ok, coaches sometimes make questionable decisions ... apparently that’s what happened here. I don’t think we’ll see that again!

On a positive note, we didn’t take timeouts when near the goal line ... as we did do last week. We kept the hurry up going and it paid off. I hope that continues. At least force the other team to take the timeout.

Voluntarily giving up the right to receive the kickoff at the start of both halves, if that's what happened, is not defensible...it's just stupid. I can't guarantee it's never happened before, but I've never seen it before in decades of watching football games at all levels, and yet...the Griz do it. Wow. I hope it was not intentional. :shock:

If intentional, it was incredibly stupid. I think it has to be a mistake or oversight or something.......

The Cincinnati Bengals kicked off to start both halves in the Freezer Bowl back in 82 or 83.

Al Groh did it at Virgina against Maryland.

Its not like this doesnt happen from time to time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
The Cincinnati Bengals kicked off to start both halves in the Freezer Bowl back in 82 or 83.

Al Groh did it at Virgina against Maryland.

Its not like this doesnt happen from time to time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

well that makes it ok then... :idea:

BWahlberg said:
Talked about it in other threads but the Griz deferred to choose the direction with the wind... or something.
If this is the reason Delaney is giving,it still makes little sense. The ball direction is reversed on the quarter breaks so there is no advantage to giving up the ball for wind direction two times....we gained nothing and lost one possession. :oops:

I'm glad we are not the only dumbasses in the entire football world. Good to know at least two other coaches were just as dumb. Apparently some brain cells were frozen down there.

It was a cagey move by our wiley ol' veteran ball coach. It caught everyone by surprise and really got the crowd fired up. A KR touchdown is one of the most exciting plays in football.

snap said:
It was a cagey move by our wiley ol' veteran ball coach. It caught everyone by surprise and really got the crowd fired up. A KR touchdown is one of the most exciting plays in football.

+1+2 and plus 3

And the Griz have not been dramatized in the Missoulian now going into week 7, good job coach D

Back