• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Playing against good/great defenses

dupuyer griz

DONOR
No, this isn't a down in the dumps thread... Our offense has really struggled against good defenses. Our defense has done enough to keep us in those games. As I look at the rest of the season, I wonder if any of them will be this tough.

The schedule as it stands for the rest of the season:
Northern Colorado
North Dakota
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Sac State
Eastern Washington
Southern Utah
Montana State

When I look at this list I have a lot of hope. I don't see any of these being "great" defenses. Although, Southern Utah was tough last year on D I think they are down a lot. The cats will be tough again, but I don't know if they'll have the same defenses as in past years. Their offense is from what I have seen is much improved and capable of putting up a lot of points. Looking at the schedule, I see us as going 7-1 the rest of the season. This should easily put us in the playoffs. That being said, we'll go as far as the playoff schedule allows. If we run into a really good defense, I don't know if we can hang. We're heading into 4 what some would call easy games. This should give us a good opportunity to get the OL better and the running game going. Cal Poly's triple option is never easy I know, but we should be head and shoulders better. As we come into the last 4 games, the running game will be desperately needed to shorten the game. As we saw this weekend, no lead is safe against EWU and the only thing anyone is going to do to them is limit possessions by taking time off of the clock. Saffron will put up good yardage and is a hell of a gamer as well. The cats should be out of the game if we can force three and outs with their hurry up style of offense and run time off of the clock. Here's to the run to the playoffs.
S

Barring (God forbid) key injuries to the OL, which is obviously very thin, the offense should get better with more PT. Sure they looked bad against the NDSU defense -- arguably the best the FCS has seen in years. But they are making progress, IMO, and that should continue.

Back