• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2015 Position Discussion: Quarterback

BWahlberg

DONOR
Summer is here and we’re 100 days from the kickoff vs NDSU. Usually over the summer months I post a position by position discussion. It seems to help time pass for us football fanatics that can’t wait for the season to get started! For the Griz I believe their summer conditioning program starts up in a week or so, I hope that many can return and make the most of it!

As always these are just my observations, add your thoughts and comments! Let’s start off with one of the biggest key positions for the 2015 team, Quarterback.

Starter – Brady Gustafson
Backup – Eric Prater
Depth – Makena Simis / Chad Chalich / Willy Pflug / Will Weyer

It seems to me that this is Brady’s job to lose at this point. He opened day 1 as the starter in spring ball and adapted to the offense much quicker than any of the other QBs. The final scrimmage was a huge boost for the offense as Brady showed ingenuity in the offense with improvising and making adjustments that Stitt wants his QBs to do. Brady is a very tall QB, he’s got a good strong arm, and is fairly accurate. I recall a post on here that he’s a very good student too – which could suggest how he was able to absorb and learn this offense much quicker too. Brady’s challenges that I saw this spring was that of the QB’s he’s maybe the least mobile of the group. Also his passing accuracy when running from the passing pocket wasn’t very good. As we saw this spring the offense doesn’t need a QB as mobile as we’ve had before – but they do have some zone-read and QB option plays. Brady isn’t going to be the best to exploit that. However his accuracy, his height and fairly good arm strength, and what he’s shown for knowledge of the system and ability to adapt has him in front.

Prater I believe is the backup at this point, I’m going to be really interested to see how he adapts with summer conditioning. It was my opinion (and I’d heard it from others as well) that he has the strongest arm of all the QBs. He opened spring ball looking ok and had a bit of a drop-off with a fairly rough 2nd scrimmage. But the coaches saw him improving in practice and he moved up from being in “group b” to being the backup. He’s also not as mobile as others and I think one of our shorter QBs. What I noticed with him was that through the early parts of spring ball his timing with a lot of the WRs was off. While I’m not sure I would assume this was a bit of work on getting to know the offense and work with WR’s that he’s not worked with before. If he makes leaps and bounds through summer conditioning in this offense he could still possibly challenge to start. My guess is that’s a long shot, but he’s just an RS Frosh so he could be looking at opportunities within a year or two.

Moving beyond those two it seems that Simis and Chalich are looking at the #3 job between the two of them. Simis is much better runner but was very streaky with some great practices throwing and some others that weren’t as great. He came here for Pflugrad’s offense and is now adapting to his 3rd offense. He’s a fast runner but he showed some issues with timing on the pass plays. Chalich was up and down and finished spring ball with a bit of a rough patch. He’s not really stood out in one area in particular. I think a lot of people expected him to come in and have more command of the offense – being that he’s the only QB that’s actually started a college game. If he can gain that confidence in this system over the spring we’ll see how he shapes up. Pflug is probably staring at a red shirt, which is just fine. It’s got to be hard for a kid like him to come in and realize his solid chance for a shot to start is probably 2 years away. He’s not looked like many true freshman QBs that I’ve seen before, I’m excited to see him progress over the years. I think the 2017 QB battle could be Prater v Pflug. Weyer has been rumored to be gone, to be on the team, or to be taking some time with an intent to return. We'll have to see with him.

As we’ve heard 1,000,000 times from Coach Stitt, QB is vitally important to this offense. He’s not looking for the strongest arm or the fastest runner. He wants the QB that makes the right reads in this offense to attack what the defense gives them. As we saw in the three scrimmages the offense is FAST and the QB needs to line up, read the defense quick, and have the ball out of his hands and to the WRs in an incredibly quick and efficient manner. The guy that does this best will be our starter, right now all signs are pointing to Brady to be that guy.

I like Brady's height and intelligence. Intelligence at the QB position is often overlooked as a predictor of success. I know that pro scouts count the intelligence factor as being one of the most important ones to predict future success as a pro QB. Look at J. Winston versus Mariota. Jameis (sp) has serious questions about his ability to read pro defenses. Not a problem with Marcus. If one could combine Mariota's intelligence with Winston's physical ability, we might have another Andrew Luck.

I worry however about Brady's inability to run, and to throw accurately on the move. I think these two factors may hinder him in running this offense to maximum efficiency.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
I like Brady's height and intelligence. Intelligence at the QB position is often overlooked as a predictor of success. I know that pro scouts count the intelligence factor as being one of the most important ones to predict future success as a pro QB. Look at J. Winston versus Mariota. Jameis (sp) has serious questions about his ability to read pro defenses. Not a problem with Marcus. If one could combine Mariota's intelligence with Winston's physical ability, we might have another Andrew Luck.

I worry however about Brady's inability to run, and to throw accurately on the move. I think these two factors may hinder him in running this offense to maximum efficiency.

There's nothing wrong with Mariota's physical abilities....he's going to end up being a much better QB than Winston, IMHO. If he can get into the right system (and I don't believe Wisenhunt's system is the right system).

AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

There's nothing wrong with Mariota's physical abilities....he's going to end up being a much better QB than Winston, IMHO. If he can get into the right system (and I don't believe Wisenhunt's system is the right system).

Come home to Chip Kelly. :thumb:

What will REALLY help Brady come along is the O-line and it's pass protection. If that can dramatically improve over last year he won't have to be throwing on the run as much. However having a QB that has issues throwing while on the move is not a good thing. Just a hunch but I bet it's the biggest thing they're working to improve with him.

BWahlberg said:
What will REALLY help Brady come along is the O-line and it's pass protection. If that can dramatically improve over last year he won't have to be throwing on the run as much. However having a QB that has issues throwing while on the move is not a good thing. Just a hunch but I bet it's the biggest thing they're working to improve with him.

With Schmaing back, everybody with another year of maturity, experience and weight room time how could it NOT improve dramatically?

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

With Schmaing back, everybody with another year of maturity, experience and weight room time how could it NOT improve dramatically?

And with Germer working with the guys. All signs point to improvement. However the O-line had its ups and downs this spring.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

And with Germer working with the guys. All signs point to improvement. However the O-line had its ups and downs this spring.

That's the x-factor, the change to a different scheme....

I had a long and fairly in-depth discussion about the team with Coach Stitt in late April. I was fortunate to be able to have him ride along in my golf cart for a 4-hour round of golf and among the many things he talked about the one area that stood out to me the most is Gustafson is the starter. Coach made it quite clear to me that he is far and away the leader of the pack. Barring injury in the fall, Brady will be under center versus NDSU and throughout the season. He really didn't have much to say about any of the other QB's with the exception that Pflug is young and will be red-shirted. Another interesting area of conversation was his very unique thoughts on 4th down. I'm very curious to see how that all plays out during the season. He said sometime he will be a hero and sometimes a goat but he's not afraid to roll the dice.

Atlanta Griz1 said:

After I watched Aaron Rodgers absolutely dominate on celebrity Jeopardy, I realized it was no wonder he is such an effective QB. You are right about needing brains and smarts to run such a position effectively. Peyton Manning is the other who stands out to me. Rodgers is crazy smart and it helps him on the field.

Griz90 said:
I had a long and fairly in-depth discussion about the team with Coach Stitt in late April. I was fortunate to be able to have him ride along in my golf cart for a 4-hour round of golf and among the many things he talked about the one area that stood out to me the most is Gustafson is the starter. Coach made it quite clear to me that he is far and away the leader of the pack. Barring injury in the fall, Brady will be under center versus NDSU and throughout the season. He really didn't have much to say about any of the other QB's with the exception that Pflug is young and will be red-shirted. Another interesting area of conversation was his very unique thoughts on 4th down. I'm very curious to see how that all plays out during the season. He said sometime he will be a hero and sometimes a goat but he's not afraid to roll the dice.

:thumb:

I believe that was Stitt's intention to get a QB as near to being locked in as possible in spring ball.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

I noticed during the spring game, Holmes was at the QB constantly! The O-Line looked better at times than last year, but not great! Yes, I do believe our defense is faster this year too and they will cause a lot of havoc in most teams backfield this year, but our O-line did not effectively block them from the QB at all.
Gus arm surprised me in this game in just how strong he is. He thru a ball into a stiff 35-45 mph wind and the ball only came up 1 foot short.

HookedonGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

After I watched Aaron Rodgers absolutely dominate on celebrity Jeopardy, I realized it was no wonder he is such an effective QB. You are right about needing brains and smarts to run such a position effectively. Peyton Manning is the other who stands out to me. Rodgers is crazy smart and it helps him on the field.

:thumb:

Coach Stitt seems to believe the Griz defense is as good as they are going to see all year. If that is true, we will be fine based on their ability to move the ball up and down the field. The key is no three and outs. A power team like NDSU will keep the ball off afternoon if we cannot keep the offense on the field.

Gus looked strong at the Helena scrimmage. I think he will be just fine.

grizfan47 said:
Coach Stitt seems to believe the Griz defense is as good as they are going to see all year. If that is true, we will be fine based on their ability to move the ball up and down the field. The key is no three and outs. A power team like NDSU will keep the ball off afternoon if we cannot keep the offense on the field.

Gus looked strong at the Helena scrimmage. I think he will be just fine.

I agree. :thumb:

With 2 coaches working very closely with the QBs (Stitt and Selle) we are really going to be grooming players at that position. Maybe not this year, but expect a lot of depth in years to come.

HookedonGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

You are spot-on. If you look at the elite QBs in the NFL, the one thing they all have in common is their ability to dissect whatever the defense shows them pre-snap, and either audible to a play which will work against that defense, or know which receiver will be open on that play. I think that only 5 NFL QBs are in that elite category (Manning, Luck, Rogers, Brady, & Brees). A case could be made for Rivers to be included in that group. But I do not think that the Seattle QB Russell, nor Matt Ryan nor Flacco is an elite QB.

All NFL starting QBs are accurate, but the intangibles are the primary difference. Perhaps Gus can be the man for us. I hope so.

Back