• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"It is really just....

Plus 1

a running play"

Why do people on this forum and TV for that matter claim that the bubble screen is essentially a running play?

I don't understand the logic or reasoning to equate the bubble screen to a running play.

Is it justification by those that don't believe in and/or can't run the ball?

Does it really matter - if it works? I personally don't care if you run the ball, use a fullback, a tight end, use a screen, or any other play, as long as it works and you move the chains. The Griz need to gain more yards on first and second down. The running game is weak to say the least, maybe they should try more screens. Worked well for UCD in many instances.

Plus 1 said:
a running play"

Why do people on this forum and TV for that matter claim that the bubble screen is essentially a running play?

I don't understand the logic or reasoning to equate the bubble screen to a running play.

Is it justification by those that don't believe in and/or can't run the ball?

A high frequency play that starts behind the line of scrimmage and usually has a moderate gain. Sometimes there's little to no gain, other times there can be a larger gain. Relies on blocking from other players in front of the ball carrier too.

In this offense it may be as close to a successful running game as we'll see.

IIRC, there was a 4th and 1 yesterday where we tried to throw a quick pass and it was incomplete (correct me if I'm wrong). I think that's what frustrates me most - I wish we were confident enough in the OL and run game to give it to them to pick up 1 yd on 4th.

Screen for the most part worked well yesterday, but we can't rely on it in lieu of a running game IMO - someone WILL shut it down and then what? Looking forward to hopefully seeing OL and run game get some good reps next game

My problem with the design of this play is it doesn't get blocked. We seem to have one blocker on two defenders.

...it's going to work...
...a little more coaching...
...how to sell it a little better...

... :cool: ...

If the o-line wasn't struggling so much, the running game would be more effective earlier in the game. If they could run, then you'd probably see fewer screens. Stitts just sticking to the plan, plays, move the sticks and take what is being given. How many 2nd and 8/9 plays did you see in the first half?

To me it's just a way to get the ball to the outside in a hurry. It makes the defense have to bust their butts back and forth. Over the course of the game it adds up.

Copper Griz said:
Does it really matter - if it works? I personally don't care if you run the ball, use a fullback, a tight end, use a screen, or any other play, as long as it works and you move the chains. The Griz need to gain more yards on first and second down. The running game is weak to say the least, maybe they should try more screens. Worked well for UCD in many instances.
ASU used it to perfection last night to kill UCLA.

bigkid said:
My problem with the design of this play is it doesn't get blocked. We seem to have one blocker on two defenders.

I agree. I am wondering if Chalich is able to check out of plays. There were many plays yesterday that UCD showed blitz up the middle and we ran right into it...

Also keep in mind that at least on two occasions we showed that play and it left a WR open downfield for a bigger gain. It ain't the prettiest and sometimes it doesn't do much, but overall it keeps the offense moving.

BWahlberg said:
Also keep in mind that at least on two occasions we showed that play and it left a WR open downfield for a bigger gain. It ain't the prettiest and sometimes it doesn't do much, but overall it keeps the offense moving.

Let's hit that receiver down field a few times.

With the way Nguyen was running the ball I'm fine with the screen plays, but it would be nice to see someone bust one of those screens for a bigger gain. It will be nice when we have Justin Calhoun and Dalton Daum playing that position. If Naccarato didn't have that bigger gain on the broken play his YPC average would have been under 5.

brewskis said:
With the way Nguyen was running the ball I'm fine with the screen plays, but it would be nice to see someone bust one of those screens for a bigger gain. It will be nice when we have Justin Calhoun and Dalton Daum playing that position. If Naccarato didn't have that bigger gain on the broken play his YPC average would have been under 5.

3.38 yards on screens and swing passes to be exact. :thumb:

It seems like the Griz sometimes have a running game, just not on first down for the first 3 quarters, or inside the 5 yard line, although Calhouns touchdown was the first good run inside the 5 we have seen, and more designed runs for CC will help the running game as well. The bubble screen is a good play and can be effective, but maybe a little too predictable at times? It would also be interesting to see Henderson lined up in the slot with Jones, Roberts and Carlson in the game. Those extra 5-7 targets a game for Henderson would be exciting.

A screen is a pass, it counts as a pass, so it is not a run, why must we keep discussing this, the offense ran for 175 yards yesterday, although 65 of it was by the QB, but this was a successful day running the ball with the total yardage, so we don't need to add the screens to the rushing stats.

JayLarson said:
A screen is a pass, it counts as a pass, so it is not a run, why must we keep discussing this, the offense ran for 175 yards yesterday, although 65 of it was by the QB, but this was a successful day running the ball with the total yardage, so we don't need to add the screens to the rushing stats.
That's over 50 yards behind what Cal-Davis has been allowing on average this year, and if our leading rusher was the QB with 65?? That is not a successful day running the ball. There's a reason we saw Calhoun out there.

JayLarson said:
brewskis said:

3.38 yards on screens and swing passes to be exact. :thumb:
Oh. My. God. Let's yank another redshirt or two and get Naccarato out of there.

brewskis said:
JayLarson said:
That's over 50 yards behind what Cal-Davis has been allowing on average this year, and if our leading rusher was the QB with 65?? That is not a successful day running the ball. There's a reason we saw Calhoun out there.

The total yardage makes it look successful though, can't argue with 175 yards. We run the ball much better when we run straight ahead, where the lineman block headup instead of zoning to one side.

Screen passes streach defenses side to side, which should open up the middle of the field. Seam routes and crossing routes should be there. I only remember three or four passes to the middle. One was the last play of the first half. I'm not sure if Chad does not see the middle well or if the coach doesn't want to go there. Maybe there is not enough protection to get the pass off. With a decimated back field in Davis, I'd have thought that Coach Stitt would have tested them often on seam routes. Important thing is that we got the win! Go Griz.

Latest posts

Back