• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU and Courts

UMGriz75

A good-natured exchange from a transcript I was reviewing today, examination of a well-known local CPA on some valuations:

Mr. ______ could you state your background?

·A.··Graduated as a product of Montana high schools.··Went to Northern Montana College for one
year then transferred to Montana State.··Graduated there in 1973 with a degree in accounting.

THE COURT:··Did you say Montana State? :shock:

THE WITNESS:··Montana State.

THE COURT:··I wanted to be sure.

THE WITNESS:··Yeah, I know.··I was hoping you wouldn't catch that, judge.··Does that disqualify me as a witness?

UMGriz75:··We're going to have to spend a little more time with you.

A.··I sent my diploma back once I became a Grizzly.

UMGriz75 said:
A good-natured exchange from a transcript I was reviewing today, examination of a well-known local CPA on some valuations:

Mr. ______ could you state your background?

·A.··Graduated as a product of Montana high schools.··Went to Northern Montana College for one
year then transferred to Montana State.··Graduated there in 1973 with a degree in accounting.

THE COURT:··Did you say Montana State? :shock:

THE WITNESS:··Montana State.

THE COURT:··I wanted to be sure.

THE WITNESS:··Yeah, I know.··I was hoping you wouldn't catch that, judge.··Does that disqualify me as a witness?

UMGriz75:··We're going to have to spend a little more time with you.

A.··I sent my diploma back once I became a Grizzly.

What?

Like Trump I'm in a IRS audit. Perhaps I should have hired 75's CPA he mentions instead of the big firm I use. Big means expensive. msu CPA? No wonder he does not have any idea where he is from!

All I know is that in the 70's the freshman text for introductory accounting at UM was the same one that MSU was using for their 300 level classes and above. That alone should tell you everything you need to know about an accounting degree from State.

At any other school, everyone would know this.
May 05, 2016

MISSOULA – The numbers have been crunched and the results are in for the annual report of Certified Public Accountant exam pass rates. Accounting students in the University of Montana School of Business Administration who took the national licensure exam for the first time in 2015 rose to the top, ranking No. 1 in the state out of six institutions and No.18 nationally among medium-sized programs.

“We had the highest first-time pass rate amongst all schools with at least 10 candidates in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana,” said Terri Herron, SoBA associate dean. “These results speak to the quality of our faculty and the education delivered to our students. Many may not realize that the CPA exam not only assesses accounting knowledge, but also finance, economics, business law, operations and communications. It is a tough exam.”

The National Association of State Boards of Accountancy produced the report. NASBA provides licensing and academic credential evaluation services for state boards of accountancy.

UM ranked in the top 100 out of all 821 schools nationwide for first-time pass rate. UM’s pass rate of 70 percent is the highest overall first-time pass rate in the state and far above the national average of 55 percent.
http://news.umt.edu/2016/05/050516cpat.php

UMGriz75 said:
May 05, 2016

MISSOULA – The numbers have been crunched and the results are in for the annual report of Certified Public Accountant exam pass rates. Accounting students in the University of Montana School of Business Administration who took the national licensure exam for the first time in 2015 rose to the top, ranking No. 1 in the state out of six institutions and No.18 nationally among medium-sized programs.

“We had the highest first-time pass rate amongst all schools with at least 10 candidates in Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana,” said Terri Herron, SoBA associate dean. “These results speak to the quality of our faculty and the education delivered to our students. Many may not realize that the CPA exam not only assesses accounting knowledge, but also finance, economics, business law, operations and communications. It is a tough exam.”

The National Association of State Boards of Accountancy produced the report. NASBA provides licensing and academic credential evaluation services for state boards of accountancy.

UM ranked in the top 100 out of all 821 schools nationwide for first-time pass rate. UM’s pass rate of 70 percent is the highest overall first-time pass rate in the state and far above the national average of 55 percent.

Yep. Great job by the Marketing Dept. :lol: :lol:

Not sure where they got the 70% or the 55% number from. Historical pass rate for passing all four sections of the exam is around 15 to 20 percent. Although they have changed the exam quite a bit. Now you can take just one section vs. having to take all 4 sections at the same time, which is where the 15% to 20% pass rate comes from.

UMGriz75 said:
May 05, 2016

I think many people did know this. Of course, you have to care about UM and read their materials.

Quick. Without looking, what's Purdue's success rate on the CPA exam?

EverettGriz said:
I think many people did know this. Of course, you have to care about UM and read their materials.
The average 17 year old has a lot of information to process about prospective schools. A University doesn't recruit kids that are already planning to attend. They've probably already read the materials because it was their choice. Universities increase enrollment by catching the attention of students that might not otherwise realize the quality of the education available to them. Burying that information on a school website, buried deep within a University website isn't it. There's an attitude there: "come to us, and we'll tell you why you should." Yeah. Good job. Too late.

Otherwise, why not just use TV ads presented to thousands to display the remarkable fact that some students on campus speak with accents, others "really like their professors," and even others can breakdance on the side of Mount Sentinel.

I know it's not a popular point of view for some on this board with an agenda, but UM's marketing materials to prospective students is actually pretty damn cool.

http://admissions.umt.edu/experience-um/publications.php

And if you think, 75, that kids only read recruiting materials after they've decided where to attend, you've obviously never recruited students. Of course, with your constant negativity, you'd never get the job anyhow.

EverettGriz said:
And if you think, 75, that kids only read recruiting materials after they've decided where to attend, you've obviously never recruited students. Of course, with your constant negativity, you'd never get the job anyhow.
I can't tell if you are an idiot or an idiot troll. You never pass up a chance to derail a thread for a typical ad hominem attack. I am sure Payton will be right on it.

I "suspect" based on your age and immaturity, that even as I've actively recruited a fairly large number of students over the past 30 years, that if it were just one, it would be one more than you.

However, congratulations on the good job that you think UM is doing. Your theory seems to be working just about as well as can be expected. They ought to hire you. You know, to tell them all how to do it and that, so far, it's a good job, because you can tell that a 25% drop is a actually a roaring success. You're just that good. Perhaps you ought to become a 'Cat fan. That's what they do.

What attack? I simply stated that my position wouldn't be popular by those with an obvious agenda. If you took that personally, then I guess we can clearly deduce you fall into that category. But that's your doing, not mine.

EverettGriz said:
I know it's not a popular point of view for some on this board with an agenda, but UM's marketing materials to prospective students is actually pretty damn cool.

http://admissions.umt.edu/experience-um/publications.php
I was not going to bother with this pissing match ... but I will anyway. I will start by saying I have no opinion about the recruitment material, because I have not looked at it. (We have neither children nor grandchildren who might be interested.)

It is true that "75's" responses may be phrased in an overly negative tone. However, the "pretty damn cool" material being presented to prospective students is not doing the job. According to U.S. Dept of Education statistics, during the last 4-5 years, overall college enrollment has dropped. That was on the order of 2-4%, dragged down by some very substantial declines in enrollment at two-year ("junior" and "community") colleges. As has been noted on here many times, the UM main campus enrollment has been hammered much worse than that. Of course, we could look at the bright side, and say that without the "damn cool" recruitment material, the decline could be even worse.

As I read the numbers, nation-wide college enrollment (4-year schools) has started to recover slightly ... I am not hearing that about UM. So even outstanding recruitment material -- it that's what it is -- needs some other help.

I can only relate on a personal level re: this recruitment topic. I remember my first visit to UM. University Ave. might as well have been Palm Drive in Palo Alto for me. I wasn't going anywhere else. Game over. I never read a pamphlet or flyer about UM; I just knew that UM was where I needed to be.

That said, I never thought I would go to a University because nobody in my family ever had. So, I didn't really have an idea about the difference between UM and Cal or UW or Stanford or any other place. I like to think that, even if I had an idea about the difference, I still would've chosen the same route. My decision definitely hasn't been a hindrance in the long game.

Back