• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MWC looks at expanding beyond 12

billings_poke

MWC commish "we could look beyond 12 schools" from media days
The MWC commish made some interesting comments at the MWC media days.

“We could look beyond 12 (schools),” Thompson said. “This membership/expansion door swings both ways. This week I’ve had more than one and less than five institutions reach out to me and say, ‘Can we be in the Mountain West Conference?’ ”

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/7/26/12291566/mountain-west-big-12-expansion

Guessing UTEP, NMSU, Idaho, Rice, and ????? maybe NDSU at this point

Will Idaho leave the big sky? doubtful but ya never know

Until NDSU can build a new stadium that houses more than 18,500, they will be stuck kicking butt in FCS for some time.

HookedonGriz said:
Until NDSU can build a new stadium that houses more than 18,500, they will be stuck kicking butt in FCS for some time.

Yep, no way NDSU moves up to the MWC without a bigger stadium.

mtgrizrule said:
signedbewildered said:
Inspector Griz said:
UM and MSU would be foolish not to express interest.

Maybe we have.

We have, but it will be awhile before any school official will admit it, publicly. :thumb:

This.

And if Stitt works out, pretty certain he would be along for the ride if "the light at the end of the tunnel" is within sight.

Intriguing

But at this juncture our flagship university struggles to staunch enrollment drop, faces significant loss of program options and staff/faculty position.

Doubt that regents et al have the stomach or pocket book to make any bold moves.

At some point having a healthy UM may trump any athletic aspirations.

First11. Valid points. However one could see a possible increase in enrollment simply in part to exposure. Is it highly likely, maybe not. However, we will never know unless we try.

first11 said:
Intriguing

But at this juncture our flagship university struggles to staunch enrollment drop, faces significant loss of program options and staff/faculty position.

Doubt that regents et al have the stomach or pocket book to make any bold moves.

At some point having a healthy UM may trump any athletic aspirations.

Being a MWC member would likely better enrollment progressively. With that said, the MWC would have to be really understanding and generous in working out a financial plan with the either of the Montana schools. Finances are too tight to make that move, as is.

get'em_griz said:
HookedonGriz said:

And I don't think a dome is really expandable, so unless they get an invite to the MAC, I doubt there will be a MWC invite.

BigSkyBears said:
get'em_griz said:
HookedonGriz said:

And I don't think a dome is really expandable, so unless they get an invite to the MAC, I doubt there will be a MWC invite.

I believe they looked at it pretty thoroughly a couple years ago and the most they could add by expansion was 1200 seats, at a pretty hefty cost. Still would only get them in the 20,000 area which probably isn't the number they wanted. Haven't heard anything since but maybe one of the guys who lurk here knows more?

BigSkyBears said:
get'em_griz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Land is relatively cheap there. They don't need to expand the shed, they can just plow up a few potato fields.

I know there has always been guessing and myth about Montana not being able to move up without MSU and vice versa. But, I don't think anybody really knew for certain. Well, I actually asked a BOR member not long ago about that, and this person told me it was absolutely NOT a myth. And he jokingly said, short of a Supreme Court ruling, Montana and Montana State will never be allowed to play in different conferences, and especially at different levels.

I am just passing along hearsay, but from what I've seen on the subject, the city of Fargo has an investment in the Fargo Dome, and in spite of all the miraculous things that program has done, there isn't much favorable sentiment for expansion or replacement.

Back