• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS scores this week

IdaGriz01

Finals
#1 Sam Houston State (7-0) Beat Nicholls St. (3-4) 38-21
#2 Jacksonville St (6-1) Leads E Kentucky (2-5) 24-7
#3 Eastern Washington (6-1) Beat MSU (2-6) 41-17
#4 NDSU (6-1) Beat #12 W Illinois (5-2) 21-13
#5 Citadel (7-0) Beat Wofford (4-3) 24-21 (OT)
#6 Richmond (7-1) Beat Elon (2-5) 35-7
#7 South Dakota St (4-2) Leads #13 YSU (5-1) 24-10
#8 James Madison (6-1) idle
#9 Charleston So (4-2) Beat Presbyterian (2-5) 38-3
#10 Montana (5-2) Lost to NAU (4-4) 45-34
#11 Chattanooga (7-1) Beat VMI (3-4) 35-13
#12 West. Illinois (5-2) Lost to #4 NDSU (6-1) 21-13
#13 Youngstown St (5-1) Losing at #7 SDSU (4-2) 24-10
#14 N Carolina A&T (6-1) Beat Howard (1-7) 34-7
#15 Eastern Illinois (5-3) Lost to Murray St (2-5) 40-38
#16 Villanova (5-2) Beat #23 Albany (4-3) 24-13
#17 Cal Poly (5-2) Beat UC Davis (2-6) 21-16
#17 Coastal Carolina (5-2) Beat Cent Conn (1-6) 33-25
#19 North Dakota (6-2) Beat Idaho State (2-5) 28-21
#20 Central Arkansas (6-1) Beat Lamar (3-4) 22-12
#21 Samford (6-1) Beat W Carolina (1-6) 30-17
#22 Grambling State (5-1) Leads MVSU (0-8) 59-10
#23 Albany (4-3) lost at #16 Villanova (5-2) 24-13
#24 Stony Brook (5-2) Beat Delaware (2-5) 28-3
#25 Tennessee St (5-2) Lost to FBS Vanderbilt (4-4) 35-17

Other BIg Sky games
Sac St. (1-7) lost to N Colorado (3-4) 27-19
Weber St (5-2) Beat Southern Utah (3-4) 37-36
PSU idle

Joke that Sam Houston is getting rewarded for playing absolutely no one. Their whole schedule doesn't have a single test on it. I hope the committee takes into consideration when seeding what the Big Sky and Missouri Valley did with their out of conference schedules and what Sam Houston has failed to do.

Sam Houston State at #1 is hilarious. I would have put either EWU or Jacksonville State at the #1 spot, most likely EWU due to a better resume at this point.

Boy, NDSU losing sure allowed the pollsters to stir the pot. They dropped NDSU about like I thought they would, and Chattanooga exactly what I thought. And, as many of us sorta expected, they "jumped" SDSU ahead of the Griz -- but more than expected. The other (somewhat) surprise was the amount they moved The Citadel up. We knew they would move up, but three spots is a bit unexpected -- guess that Zero in the loss column finally got the pollsters attention.

One unusual feature: Cal Poly and Coastal C are tied for #17 with exactly the same number of votes.

I certainly have no problem with the Griz still sitting at #10.

Edit: And ... finally we got rid of Northern Iowa. ;)

no surprise for Griz when you slaughter two teams with a combined record of 1-10 when UM played 'em. we'll learn more on the road the next two weeks. Butler scares me this week...

Citadel getting lots of love for knocking off No. 5 Chattanooga. looks like they will be the SoCon champs this season barring any type of disaster. interestingly enough they close the season @ UNC

get'em_griz said:
Sam Houston State at #1 is hilarious. I would have put either EWU or Jacksonville State at the #1 spot, most likely EWU due to a better resume at this point.
Yep, EWU has way the better record, with that win over Wazzou and their only loss to NDSU on the road in OT. Jville State's only loss was to LSU, but one of their wins was against a D-II opponent.

Of course, one of SHSU's wins was against OK Panhandle. And the combined records of their other opponents is 9-23. But here's the deal: You can only play the games on the schedule you're given -- and all their other wins were against conference opponents. So, as the only other undefeated team in FCS, they get the votes.

And they're most likely to stay undefeated right until the last game. From here, they play three conference teams with combined records of 7-12 and a not-very-good SWAC opponent. They won't really be tested until their final game, which is against Central Arkansas -- currently ranked #20.

Edited the poll posting to include the upcoming games for the ranked teams.

Not looking like a great weekend for upsets. Still, there are three games that match ranked teams against each other, so at least three ranked teams have to lose. That should make for some interest. And only one ranked team is idle. On the other end, poor Tennessee State just crept into the top-25 this week and they have to face Vanderbilt. Vandy is not a great FBS team, but that might get ugly.

Aside from the ranked-vs-ranked games, The Citadel has by far the toughest test -- they have to go into Wofford, which is unranked but has a good record. That should be a quick game. Citadel calls running plays over 90% of the time and leads FCS with 381 rushing yards per game. Wofford calls running plays over 85% of the time and is 4th in FCS with 312 rushing yards per game. Citadel is dead last in passing yards per game, and Wofford is next to last.

Three teams have opponents with even (3-3) records, but all the rest face opponents with losing records. Among the four opponents who have just one win, Central Connecticut State takes the booby prize, since that came against a D-II team. Of course, Grambling gets the real prize … they get to play at Mississippi Valley State. But hey, MVSU is at home, so maybe they have a chance. ;) (But probably not. :lol: )

Fahque said:
How is Charleston Southern at #9 with a record of 3-2?

Look at their schedule. Their 2 losses were to NSDU (in OT) and Florida State, both on the road. They beat Coastal this weekend and Monmouth on the road (handily), and slaughtered Kentucky State. Seems reasonable.

RockChalkGriz said:
Fahque said:

Look at their schedule. Their 2 losses were to NSDU (in OT) and Florida State, both on the road. They beat Coastal this weekend and Monmouth on the road (handily), and slaughtered Kentucky State. Seems reasonable.

Didn't they play Florida State with only half their team due to some NCAA infractions?

reinell30 said:
RockChalkGriz said:
Fahque said:

Didn't they play Florida State with only half their team due to some NCAA infractions?

Yeh they used thier book grant money to buy pencils. filthy criminals :roll:

reinell30 said:
RockChalkGriz said:
Fahque said:

Yeah I remember hearing that. Something along the lines that their players spent excess book money on other items at the bookstore (AFTER they had purchased all their books). Sounded pretty silly/minor. That's the NCAA for you, though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, doesn't UM have the players' academic advisor's purchase and deliver books to the athletes in order to prevent this?

RayWill said:
reinell30 said:
RockChalkGriz said:
Fahque said:

Yeh they used thier book grant money to buy pencils. filthy criminals :roll:

The problem was they were scheduled to play Florida, Florida had to put a call to NCAA when they saw how good they played at NDSU. Florida likes avoiding competition.

reinell30 said:
RockChalkGriz said:
Fahque said:

Oh yeah I forgot about that

NDSU is a few bad bounces from being 2-4 at this point in their schedule. Two overtime games and a last second field goal for their first three wins. They could be the second UNI of the MVFC.

W vs Charleston So (3-2) 24-17 OT
W vs E Washington (4-1) 50-44 OT Good win
W at #13 Iowa (5-2) 23-21 Good win [Iowa now No. 38 in the FBS poll]
W vs Illinois State (3-4) 31-10 [ISU: 1 win vs. 4th worst Div 1 team; 2 other wins by a total of 5 points]
W at Missouri State (3-3) 27-3 [MSU: no wins vs. DI teams with winning records]
L vs South Dakota St (4-2) 19-17

Wofford vs. El Cit is an option lovers menage a trois..All I know is one of us is getting spanked..

Back