• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Richmond at EWU - Coaches Distracted?

IdaGriz01

Thought about putting this on the Baldwin thread, but that's not quite the thrust.
Pretty good game (and coaching carousel) article at http://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=18227257
Some interesting quotes:
AP/ESPN said:
... The Skinny -- These two perennial powers won two of the three FCS titles prior to North Dakota State's current five-year run, Richmond in 2008 and Eastern Washington in 2010. Rocco is considered a candidate for the coaching position at Delaware and Baldwin interviewed with Nevada this week. ... the Spiders will arrive with the No. 2-ranked passing defense (156.3 ypg), which is pivotal considering what EWU's offense will throw at them.
... The Eagles have three 1,000-yard receivers with Kupp, Hill and Kendrick Bourne (1,051).
... Snow showers are possible. Eastern Washington 31-27.
Very interesting take on the game. One question: Why would Rocco leave Richmond, a good program for a long time, for the dumpster fire that Delaware has been for quite some time now? Makes me wonder just how much whoever wrote this actually knows about FCS football. Second point: Guarantee that Richmond has not seen anyone like Kupp ... as long as he's fully healthy.

Edit: Interesting. Found the same article -- by-lined to Craig Haley -- at STATS.com. Yet the ESPN item lists the AP as the copyright holder. Hope Haley got some coin for that. But at least we know the author does know a little something abut FCS football. So that suggests an even bigger puzzle: How much money would Delaware be willing (and able) to pay to get Rocco to leave Richmond? This may be based on a possible personality or "vision" clash between Rocco and the Richmond AD.

the Delaware job would have to pay pretty well for Rocco to want to go there. they're in a similar boat as us you might say, without the facilities. that being said Rocco went 8-4 his first season at Richmond and 6-6 his second season. food for thought for those wanting a coaching change after just 2 seasons. since his second season Rocco has put together pretty consistent 10-win seasons and had good playoff showings. i think Richmond got him from Liberty, so i doubt he would lateral over to another FCS school, particularly one that is having the same football troubles as Delaware. my guess is he waits for a better job at FBS or just stays put.

Both were asked about it this week.

Rocco: “You can’t prevent speculation so all I can really focus on is going through the routine and focusing on the process of winning,” Rocco said. “I try really hard to be the same guy every day. I try really hard to offer the same thing to my student-athletes every week. It was really important in all those moments to stay true to who I am. That might help keep us focused and avoid any speculation that might be out there.”

Baldwin: “Our guys are so mature,” Baldwin said a little more than 24 hours before Nevada’s decision hit the news. “We had a meeting (Tuesday) and our philosophy was to be up front and tell them exactly. Most of the time most years down this road, you read certain things and most of what you read out there, especially these days, just isn’t true. But I tell them up front this is what’s true, this is exactly what happened the last couple of days. By doing that, it allows you the freedom to say you don’t need to talk about it and boom, they are all in that mode that it’s Richmond until 4:30 on Saturday afternoon when the game ends.”

Back