• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mike Houston (JMU)

GrizMusician

I didn’t see mention of this anywhere:

deb19096c1975eb5ef9dd322302fb125.jpg

Monumental contract extension - I don’t believe I have ever seen a similar contract at the FCS level?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
putter said:
grizaremoregooder said:
I give it six months.

Was thinking the same thing. Sign a large extension and then bolt to the FBS with a nice buyout to JMU

I think JMU are the ones planning on bolting to the FBS.
Good for them. It’s feasible out there. However, they should probably talk to umass first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get the whole move up deal. I don't think there is a single FCS team that has the infrastructure to be able to facilitate a move up.

Why would u want to go to some shit conference and potentially be able to play in the famous idaho potato bowl once every 5 years, vs remaining competitive in a division where you already fit?

Hawkeyebowhunter said:
I don't get the whole move up deal. I don't think there is a single FCS team that has the infrastructure to be able to facilitate a move up.

Why would u want to go to some shit conference and potentially be able to play in the famous idaho potato bowl once every 5 years, vs remaining competitive in a division where you already fit?
Are you high why would you ask that. Now I can’t read this thread because all those hillbillies will be on here talking about the perks of playing Louisiana tech in the maxi tampon bowl. Sheeeeeiiiiiiiiiittttt

Hawkeyebowhunter said:

For JMU it may actually make sense for them tho...they have the geography and funding to do it. Obviously theyre not going to dominate but they could compete at least. They would probably be more successful than App State in my opinion.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Hawkeyebowhunter said:

For JMU it may actually make sense for them tho...they have the geography and funding to do it. Obviously theyre not going to dominate but they could compete at least. They would probably be more successful than App State in my opinion.

They would go to what, the Sun Belt, or SOCON? I just don't see the value in playing teams they aren't familiar with, while they have been pretty consistently good these last few years.

For the record, I don't think App State should have moved up either.

BadlandsGrizFan said:

In all the years the Army and my career had me in the south and understanding the competitive nature of that region, I think you're correct here; however, JMU only has an 80 million endowment (Furman's by comparison is 650 million). I would suppose were they actively considering a move up it would be more of an affiliation with the American Athletic Conference that right now only has 12 members so their two division NCAA membership limit is somewhat tenuous. South Florida and UCONN have had some success since they moved up and I mention these schools because both of them played in Missoula while they were I-AA.

Their other option, in my opinion, would be Conference USA but they already are fairly safe as far as a stable membership at 14 (although UTEP is in the west and they could add NMSU and JMU to the east).

Jacksonville State is weighing their options and I haven't read their feasibility study yet and it's not going to be long before Kennesaw moves up.

I've always viewed JMU as a place old-, worn-out coaches go to end their careers.

I would bet that if a move up is on the table there, there’s likely no rush. @ the end of the day, it’s about the $. When/if that comes into place, they can make a call on what’s next.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
South Florida and UCONN have had some success since they moved up and I mention these schools because both of them played in Missoula while they were I-AA.

I remember Hofstra, Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts from the New England area, but not Connecticut. Not even South Florida, either. Not on the road, either.

Besides which, Connecticut moved up to FBS level, got in a bowl game as well; but, huh, due to the bowl game appearance they lost $ 10 million dollars over it. Had a whole bunch of tickets their fan base was supposed to buy up and it didn't happen. Haven't heard from them since.

WyomingGrizFan said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
South Florida and UCONN have had some success since they moved up and I mention these schools because both of them played in Missoula while they were I-AA.

I remember Hofstra, Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts from the New England area, but not Connecticut. Not even South Florida, either. Not on the road, either.

Besides which, Connecticut moved up to FBS level, got in a bowl game as well; but, huh, due to the bowl game appearance they lost $ 10 million dollars over it. Had a whole bunch of tickets their fan base was supposed to buy up and it didn't happen. Haven't heard from them since.

You're probably correct. Had a kid at Statesboro so I probably confused them being here versus there while Johnson was there in the late 90s when the two schools were I-AA.

WyomingGrizFan said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Quite a lot of faulty memory here. Hofstra is on Long Island, not the New England area. We played there in 2002 after they beat Joe Glenn in his first UM game in Missoula. They dropped football in 2009.

Hawkeyebowhunter said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Hawkeyebowhunter said:

They would go to what, the Sun Belt, or SOCON? I just don't see the value in playing teams they aren't familiar with, while they have been pretty consistently good these last few years.

It's only important what App St. thinks. They're quite happy.

kemajic said:
Hawkeyebowhunter said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Hawkeyebowhunter said:

It's only important what App St. thinks. They're quite happy.
Yep. App State is very happy with their move up, just peruse there board. And while they’re not gonna be in the playoff anytime soon they’re record the last few years has been good.

Back