• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is it Q-vail or Coo-vail?

GrizWhiz

Brian Qvale completed his first summer league game for the Charlotte Hornets. Despite the pronunciation butchery his name was subjected to...Q-vail or Coovail depending on which announcer you listened to, he looked good with multiple hustle plays. :clap: He started for Charlotte (in the post...not at guard as shown in the attached box score) and played along side Frank Kaminsky. http://www.nba.com/games/20150704/CHAOKC/gameinfo.html

LongTimeCatFan said:
I thought it was "Kwalee"

I'm pretty sure GrizWhiz was commenting on the announcers butchering Qvale's name all game, not actually wondering how to pronounce it.

Watched a bit of yesterday's game. Qvale is huge; the only part of him I recognized was his face. He made one spectacular block on an attempted dunk, so forceful that they showed it on a replay--one of the few I saw on the production-challenged NBA channel. Charlotte got hit hard by free agency, losing center Bismack Biyombo to Toronto, so maybe Qvale has an opportunity here.

citay said:
Watched a bit of yesterday's game. Qvale is huge; the only part of him I recognized was his face. He made one spectacular block on an attempted dunk, so forceful that they showed it on a replay--one of the few I saw on the production-challenged NBA channel. Charlotte got hit hard by free agency, losing center Bismack Biyombo to Toronto, so maybe Qvale has an opportunity here.
The guy Brian stuffed was Mitch McGary, who plays for the OK City Thunder.

Qvale with 2 offensive rebounds, and 2 assists, 1 steal, leading to 7 points only 6 minutes in. He's yet to really impact the defensive boards and interior paint defense. He's contributing in other areas though.

Qvale's 3rd assist led to a huge baseline dunk. They are not even looking to him on offense, despite him getting consistent position. Their guards (Troy Daniels and PJ Harrison) are shooting a lot of quick 3's. Has to be a little frustrating for Qvale.

Qvale just rejected Alex Kirk. Kirk thought he could do a cleaver 1 handed touch shot. Qvale barely jumped and just put both his arms straight up. The ball did not even get 9 feet up. Kirk looked a little surprised.

Qvale with a nice baseline block, looked to me he got just enough on the ball to keep it from being a bucket. Not sure if the books will recognize it though. This team absolutely does not look to get ball inside. It would be nice to see what he could do offensively, but that is impossible to grade when he does not see the ball.

Brian had ten points and twelve rebounds (seven offensive rebounds :clap: ) in today's win over Brooklyn.

GrizWhiz said:
Brian had ten points and twelve rebounds (seven offensive rebounds :clap: ) in today's win over Brooklyn.

Sweet, he finally got some touches. :thumb: I was really getting pissed watching the game against Memphis. None of the bigs were seeing the ball in the paint when they earned position.

You would think that with some of these teams hurting for a big man that Qvale would land some place useful. I could see the Clippers picking him up with the league minimum just as a stop gap. They are screwed right now and don't have much to offer in trades.

mtgrizrule said:
GrizWhiz said:

Sweet, he finally got some touches. :thumb: I was really getting pissed watching the game against Memphis. None of the bigs were seeing the ball in the paint when they earned position.
He made a lot of his "touches" by getting offensive rebounds.

GrizWhiz said:
mtgrizrule said:
GrizWhiz said:

He made a lot of his "touches" by getting offensive rebounds.

Good for him, then he must have been pissed about ball hogging guards too, and decided to do something about it. :thumb:

Back