• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Streaming question

grizbymarriage

DONOR
We finally have an Internet option in our rural area which gives us up to 5 Mb/s down. We were pretty excited, thinking we could finally see some Griz basketball games.

But, when we've tried to stream the Thursday night games (eversport.tv/big-sky), it has been nothing but buffering, buffering, and more buffering. We've finally given up halfway through the games. Everything else we stream is fine -- for instance, live events on WatchESPN are perfect.

Are others able to stream these eversport.tv/big-sky games successfully?

grizbymarriage said:
We finally have an Internet option in our rural area which gives us up to 5 Mb/s down. We were pretty excited, thinking we could finally see some Griz basketball games.

But, when we've tried to stream the Thursday night games (eversport.tv/big-sky), it has been nothing but buffering, buffering, and more buffering. We've finally given up halfway through the games. Everything else we stream is fine -- for instance, live events on WatchESPN are perfect.

Shouldn't be stuck in buffering-hell with 5meg down. That's about what I get (when the equipment out where I live isn't having issues) and it usually streams fine for me.

Try a speed test at http://speedtest.net to see if you're getting close to the speed you're paying for.

You mention that WatchESPN works fine. Is this at the same time of day as when you're trying to stream through Eversport?

Also, it wouldn't hurt to try a different web browser just to see if you get the same results. If you're using Firefox try Google Chrome and see if it works any better. If you're using Google Chrome try Firefox instead.

We have 60 mb stream; and "most of the time" it is pretty good, but interrupts with "buffering" messages more than it should for "eversport" feeds. Never get that, for instance, for hi-def movies or other "live" feeds.

How old is your router? How close and how many neighbors do you gave also accessing Internet? Make sure your network is locked. You could try connecting your router to your computer directly with CAT 6 cable as wifi can be difficult to deliver in some situations

grizbymarriage said:

I have the same problem grizbymarriage. I'm glad you asked the question. Thanks also Potomac Griz. I will try the speed test as I have been told by my provider that I have plenty of speed available but it simply buffers after every few seconds of watching.

So Griz1 and grizbymarriage. Your cable company will tell you what they are providing at your house from the outside. In my case 60 Mbps download. However it can be profoundly be affected after it comes to your house. So you can do a speed test and it may give you a poor speed despite having a good signal from the company. Plug your device into your router directly and do a speed test and do a speed test without direct connection ie wifi. These maybe very different results. The number of devices (cellphones, iPads, laptops, desktops, you neighbors devices) attached to your network affects your signal. Interference from your neighbors network (overlap) or cordless phones affect your signal. How far your device is from your router and what types of materials the signal is passing through to get to your device via wifi affect the signal. Your best bet is to update router prfeferably to a newer router with the model number ending in AC rather than N or G and plugging a cat 6 cable directly to that router will give you your bet chance to maximize your signal for streaming.

Thanks for all of the suggestions -- I'll go through them carefully.

This past Thursday, I disconnected our router and plugged directly into the computer. When the game began, the speed tested 5.03 mb/s. All was great for first seven minutes when the speed dropped to 1.4 mb/s. I shut my computer off and re-booted. When I restarted it (without starting the game), the speed was at 5 mb/s and it stayed there for 15 minutes. I then re-started the game, and in just a few minutes, the speed dropped again to .74 mb/s. So, I rebooted my computer again and re-started the game, but the speed started out at 1.4 mb/s and stayed there for so long that I finally just shut the game off.

Only one other Griz fan in our "neighborhood." Unfortunately, we live in what is mostly Bobcatland (bad choice, I know, but we gotta have a job so we can eat!)

Last night, I watched a game on WatchESPN from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. with no issues - picture was great. I've watched WatchESPN games on Saturday afternoons and Saturday night with no problem.

But, what I've heard from the suggestions here is that it is probably something with my system rather than something the ISPN is doing/providing, so at least that gives me something to work on. If you have any more ideas after what I posted above, I'd love to hear them -- thanks so much for taking the time to provide ideas; much appreciated!

Mine used to do similar things and worse. To make a long story short, the cable company had some suggestions but none really helped. I had a night and day difference when I bought a new router. The router I bought can give me both a 2.4 and 5 ghz signal. I also bought a network extender. You may not have both 2.4 and 5ghz available but a new router may give you a more stable signal. I am a Mac guy so I bought an AirPort Extreme and for extender I bought an Airport Express. I have heard good things about one I think called Nighthawk (I think Netgear) 900ac if you don't like Apple. I am no expert this is just what helped me.

cmtgrizzly said:
Mine used to do similar things and worse. To make a long story short, the cable company had some suggestions but none really helped. I had a night and day difference when I bought a new router. The router I bought can give me both a 2.4 and 5 ghz signal. I also bought a network extender. You may not have both 2.4 and 5ghz available but a new router may give you a more stable signal. I am a Mac guy so I bought an AirPort Extreme and for extender I bought an Airport Express. I have heard good things about one I think called Nighthawk (I think Netgear) 900ac if you don't like Apple. I am no expert this is just what helped me.

Thanks cmtgrizzly. I will try this when I am back at the home where the problem is. I have an Airport Express that I am not using as I replaced it with an Airport Time Capsule. I'll hook it into my modem up there and see if there is an improvement.

cmtgrizzly said:
How old is your router? How close and how many neighbors do you gave also accessing Internet? Make sure your network is locked. You could try connecting your router to your computer directly with CAT 6 cable as wifi can be difficult to deliver in some situations
How old is the router, was the key component when I increased speed. Bought a new one that was the latest docsis and I was at full capacity.

Time capsule and extreme are the same except that time capsule has the added feature of having a hard drive for storage. Most important is probably age of the router and then whether or not it can handle one or more bandwidths ie frequencies such as 2.4 and 5 ghz. Hope it works out for you all and can watch the game. Totally frustrating when the stream wont work.

cmtgrizzly said:
Mine used to do similar things and worse. To make a long story short, the cable company had some suggestions but none really helped. I had a night and day difference when I bought a new router.
Yeah, I remember three or four years ago we were having ongoing issues leading to much frustration and unreligious commentary; finally getting a new router solved everything and its worked great ever since.

UMGriz75 said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Mine used to do similar things and worse. To make a long story short, the cable company had some suggestions but none really helped. I had a night and day difference when I bought a new router.
Yeah, I remember three or four years ago we were having ongoing issues leading to much frustration and unreligious commentary; finally getting a new router solved everything and its worked great ever since.

A new router helped us a lot also. We went from having buffering problems constantly to it being a rarity now. We have much better range and performance.

Outside of a good connection speed and newer router performance, the health and capabilities of your computer can also affect video streaming. One of biggest problems is if the cache and registry get problems and haven't been cleared in awhile. Easiest (and free) solution, run Advanced SystemCare9. Can download here if you don't have it: http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-S...6_4-10407614.html?part=dl-&subj=dl&tag=button

Also, the video card, RAM, processor, and even having the latest version of plugins like Flash (or Octoshape, which was used for the old WatchBigSkyTV) can help/hurt video streaming but since you can view WatchESPN I wouldn't recommend you need to invest any money in upgrading in those areas.

Here's EverSport's sytem requirements: https://eversport.zendesk.com/hc/en...watch-live-and-archived-streams-on-eversport-

cmtgrizzly said:
So Griz1 and grizbymarriage. Your cable company will tell you what they are providing at your house from the outside. In my case 60 Mbps download. However it can be profoundly be affected after it comes to your house. So you can do a speed test and it may give you a poor speed despite having a good signal from the company. Plug your device into your router directly and do a speed test and do a speed test without direct connection ie wifi. These maybe very different results. The number of devices (cellphones, iPads, laptops, desktops, you neighbors devices) attached to your network affects your signal. Interference from your neighbors network (overlap) or cordless phones affect your signal. How far your device is from your router and what types of materials the signal is passing through to get to your device via wifi affect the signal. Your best bet is to update router prfeferably to a newer router with the model number ending in AC rather than N or G and plugging a cat 6 cable directly to that router will give you your bet chance to maximize your signal for streaming.
I gotta love this post! Hard to believe that just 10 years ago, none of that was even known. Very impressive! I hope you are able to help a lot of people tech wise. Terrific response and help...good for you. :thumb:

Tried to watch again tonight with same frustrating results. The first 30 minutes were perfect, but, after that, my speed dropped into the pitiful range and stayed there, and the game buffered every minute or two minutes for the next hour and a half.

Immediately after the game, I went to the CBS live news website and streamed live news with no problems; my speed went right back up to 5 Mb/s and has stayed there ever since. I streamed a live game from WatchESPN at halftime of the Griz game -- no problems and my speed went right back to 5 Mb/s but fell again as soon as I went back to the Griz game.

I am not using my router -- the stream is coming directly into my desktop computer which is less than two years old.

I am having NO problems streaming anything else except Griz games. This is wireless broadband - could it just be that a couple of people around me are all trying to stream the game at the same time?

I am also impressed with all of the great knowledge people are willing to share -- I have learned a lot --

Back