• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Selvig to step down

Status
Not open for further replies.
BDizzle said:
Wonder what came up to make him do it so suddenly.

He said that he was wore down and that the players deserved his best and he didn't think he could give it anymore.

Apparently, according to the news, Rob just lost his passion for coaching and feels that his players deserve better. Class to the end!

Thanks for 38 great years Rob! Enjoy your retirement. You've certainly earned it!!

BWahlberg said:
What a legendary career for him. He'll be missed for sure.

I agree BW. He will be missed. Respected and loved by his players. Admired by his assistant coaches and the rest of the Athletic department. One of Heathcote's favorites (which came with its special brand of four-letter compliments/comments).

Congratulations Bo !!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

There are very few coaches or athletes who, when they step down, there is absolutely no argument they were the best at what they did. Rob Selvig was unquestionably the best at what he did in Big Sky Conference history. Good luck, coach, we'll miss seeing you in Pocatello.

What an incredible coach and what an unprecedented run serving the University of Montana and the Lady Griz. I offer to Mr. Robin Selvig my profound respect and thanks for his career at UM.

My first beat job as a sportswriter for the Missoulian in the early 80s was covering the Lady Griz. Without a doubt, win or lose (and there were some tough losses for me to cover), Mr. Selvig handled himself with class and spoke of his players with the utmost respect. Always. He'll be impossible to actually replace. That may be ok, since he's a coach from another generation. But I'm hoping that Kent Haslam already has a list of predominantly loyal ex. Lady Griz (I'm pretty certain he can get five names!).

Thanks again Mr. Selvig.

God Bless you Robin. Your dedication to your profession, but more importantly your dedication to the young ladies you coached was an inspiration.

Legend by any standard!

Coaching is a joy and a grind. Robin represented our state, our school and it's teams with class.

Thank you

When I was going to the U of M in the mid 80's we traveled to Pocy and were being harassed by several Idaho State students. Robin told my friend and I the stay with him and walk out with the team. What a great man in my eyes.

I think I could of taken those guys, truth be known. lol

#allclass, #1ofakind, #livinglegend.

The LG already have the next head coach on staff. Time to reward Shannon for her loyalty to the program. I look forward to see what she can do as coach.

He could have retired wealthy with his record, but his loyalty to the University of Montana and to Missoula was extraordinary. So is his record. His athletes, who are now a considerable number, were inspired by him every step of the way not just to play basketball, but to go out in the world and do things. I do think he changed lives. A lot of them.

I could see he was getting tired; the girls sometimes here at the house mentioned health issues. Well, you reach a certain age.

Best wishes, and thanks for the memories, Robin Selvig.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...a-women-basketball-coach-robin-selvig-retires

"We were just talking about him today at the meal room, [DePaul coach and U.S. assistant] Doug Bruno and I," Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma said Wednesday night in Delaware after coaching the U.S. Olympic team to an exhibition victory over France. "Coaches that have been in the game a long time and aren't in the women's basketball Hall of Fame that are still coaching, he's definitely one of them. He did it in a place that not too many people out in the media are paying attention. He's had as great a career as you can without winning a national championship that you can want to have as a coach."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back