• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Commits Commits (as in two)

Mslacat

I have heard that Bozeman's Kellie Cole, a 5-8 shooting guard has committed to the Lady Griz.

While I was typing that up I got Confirmation that.

Anaconda's 5-8 Torry Hill also told Selvig that she would accept an scholarship offer from the Lady Griz.

With Carly Selvig committing that gives the lady Griz 3 scholarships filled and only one left to fill. I have a feeling Selvig will hold that scholarship open until his niece Jordan Sullivan decides.

Maybe count off a little on remaining scholarships available. Next year there will be three players leaving. this past year there were 5 scholarships available but Selvig only used three. So, that would tell me, that there are the three scholarships for next year and the two from last year giving a total of five total scholarships available to use for this coming november (or next april?) signing period.

Lady Griz will only have a 13 player roster for the 2009-10 season.

So You provided three commits which by my math there should be two more, not 1 more. So, maybe Sullivan and that Butte Girl (forgot name). Or maybe Selvig will settle for a roster less than 15 again the following year.

I would guess Robin will keep a scholarship open for possible transfers or the typical out of state recruits. I really would love to see him get a true pg and athletic big the next 2 years. Are any of the Montana recruits a true PG?

mtgrizrule said:
I would guess Robin will keep a scholarship open for possible transfers or the typical out of state recruits. I really would love to see him get a true pg and athletic big the next 2 years. Are any of the Montana recruits a true PG?

The walk-on from Kalispell will be the best ball handler the Lady griz have, although she is only 5'3". Great story and might be a huge pickup in the near future.

gotta see if jordan sullivan commits. it sounds like she's the prize recruit in montana this year. if she does, this shapes up as a great class.

you start to see why a couple of years ago, montana's a.a.u. team just wiped up on the competition. and except for tinkle, selvig seems possibly to have recruited all the key players off that team--hurley, sullivan, selvig, hill.

i was hoping the two remaining scholarships would go to yet another point guard (hill is rumored to be a shooting guard) or to one of those big gals off the washington a.a.u. team. maybe one will come through.

this will have given our ladies two outstanding recruiting classes in succession. no question we'll continue be be a "big sky power." question is, can these ladies compete in the n.c.a.a. tournament, where they'll doubtless run into joslyn in a first-round matchup in the near future? that'll be the story.

Can they compete, as in win a tourney game? Sure. Can they win two games? Once every 50 years. Can they compete for the title? 'Fraid not.

AllWeatherFan said:
Can they compete, as in win a tourney game? Sure. Can they win two games? Once every 50 years. Can they compete for the title? 'Fraid not.

They haven't been around for 50 years and haven't won two games in the tournament yet (assuming you meant same year and it's ncaa tournament). So, that once in 50 years is very subjective with no past to support your hypothesis. At this point, I would say not.
But, win a tournament game? that is getting more iffy, but since the Lady Griz have won 6 NCAA tournament games in the past, it can always be a possibility, but recent trend does not look good though. There are some major schools with very successful basketball programs currently that didn't have a women's basketball program when Lady Griz won some of their NCAA tournament games.

Maybe if UM bids and wins another chance to host the first and second round and Lady Griz get into the tournament and placed here again like in 2004, they may have a chance.

Hill is a great get, she is the best pure shooter I have ever seen at the HS level.

The Butte girl, Lexie Nelson, will also be in next years recruiting class, or so I'm told.

Hammer said:
Hill is a great get, she is the best pure shooter I have ever seen at the HS level.

The Butte girl, Lexie Nelson, will also be in next years recruiting class, or so I'm told.

I have also heard that nelson has committed, that makes 4, (including 3 shooting guard) with Selvig now in a holding patter waiting on Sullivan.

http://mslacat.wordpress.com/

Someone or Mslacat, maybe you can clear this up? I searched hoopgurlz and scout.com for Women HS players. I was hoping to find some rankings, reviews, etc. There was next to nothing and some of our recruits are not even listed on these sites. That concerns me some. Why is that? Did these girls not just kick ass regionally and nationally at the AAU level over the last 4 years or so? Even the highest rated recruit, the Sullivan girl from Sidney has no reviews or information. Why is it that Tinkle is the only with any kind of ink? (beyond her being an All American talent.)

Are these girls being over hyped by our state? Are they as good as many GRIZ fans think they are? Where do these recruits rank or rate nationally? Is this just a matter of the services not taking the time to check these girls out because they are from Montana? Even the 40 (lower) rated Montana boys get more ink than these girls. Are there any good sources with some solid reviews of these Lady GRIZ recruits?

Are the Lady GRIZ getting these players because the lack of recognition nationally? Are these girls talented enough to be competed for by colleges nationally? How should they be rated talent wise against other girls nationally?

Do you feel these girls are 40 to 50 rated players? 50 to 60? 60 to 70? 70 to 80? 80 to 90? or above 90?

I just do not see how these players can not be more recognized after doing so well nationally AAU. Do other schools and evaluators feel that was more due to Tinkle than rest of her team mates? It just does not make sense to me how they are under the radar that much, with the success they had at the AAU level.

Thanks for any information anyone can or will provide.

current siginings from last november:
Alyssa Smith is graded an 83 by hoopgurlz which is the highest of last years signings.
Kenzie De Boer is graded 69 by hoopgurlz.

for coming signing period:
If Lady Griz can sign Jordan Sullivan, she is graded 84 on hoopgurlz.

The players mentioned in this thread other than Sullivan are not graded or on hoopgurls, but may be later during this coming season. they may be good players but they don't know about them. Of course, if they were of Jos Tinkle caliber, they most likely would be found, unless they are very late bloomers. I really don't know how Hoopgurlz gets its' information.

Heard a rumor that Jordan Sullivan is down to 3 schools, University of New Mexico, University of Utah, and University of Montana.

Yes Lady Griz fans, soon-to-be Montana 4 TIME class AA 1st team all-stater and scoring machine Lexie Nelson will be a Lady Griz.

It's going to be a lot fun watching her and her fellow southwest montanans (Hill and Hurley) from nearby Anacanouch burning up the nets for UM. I agree Hammer, Hill can flat out stroke it!

Just my opinion, but I think the Lady Griz are missing out on a fantastic PG in Buttes Kalli McClosky. She is super quick and tenacious...a tough defender and a real leader/floor general.

Latest posts

Back