• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Anthony Johnson Injury

Baller1

word is AJ is having some serious issues with his knee.... can't imagine how the season would go without him being at 100%..... obviously there is still plenty of time before the season gets into full swing.... but its definitely something to be wary of......

Great, Selvig and now AJ. We need both of these guys. If AJ is not himself, we better pray that Will Cherry is as good as advertised and Raason (sp?) Young is a big time scorer. It not, Stauds and McGillis need to be much better scorers than last year.

still not sure exactly whats wrong with the knee.... not trying to cause panic on here.... but its definitely something to be concerned about.... with both AJ and Selvig nursing injuries before we even start practice its scary to think about going into the season with out either of those guys, throw in the loss of Woods and we are looking awfully thin.... here is hoping the griz get healthy quickly!

If this injury is problematic and depth becomes an issue at guard, I would talk to Kemp about coming out this year. He may be rusty, but he is in shape, and a very good athlete. Would it hurt for Tinkle to talk to Kemp about the possibility?

mtgrizrule said:
If this injury is problematic and depth becomes an issue at guard, I would talk to Kemp about coming out this year. He may be rusty, but he is in shape, and a very good athlete. Would it hurt for Tinkle to talk to Kemp about the possibility?

thats a good question.... I don't think there is a chance in hell that BH would let his QB of the future risk blowin a knee playing hoops.... and I don't foresee Tinks getting that desperate.... although it would be intriguing to see what Kemp could do, and if he could contribute.

I don't think Kemp is the "QB of the future." I think he is the current and future "option QB." Zapata is the QB of the future.

'68griz said:
I don't think Kemp is the "QB of the future." I think he is the current and future "option QB." Zapata is the QB of the future.

Right, Zapata is a lock to start as a rs-sophomore after Selle and Roper leave. Wait, who the f is Zapata?

From the Griz site

D.J. Zapata

D.J. passed for 2,125 yards and 15 touchdowns last season for his 8-4-1 Mission Hills High School team ... first team All-C.I.F. pick as well as voted league MVP in 2008 ... team offensive MVP in football as a junior and senior ... a team captain in football and baseball ... led the Mission Hills Grizzlies to a 10-2 mark as a junior in 2007 ... his prep coach was Chris Hauser.
Personal: his parents are Dan and Margaret Zapata of San Diego ... he will major in education ... birth date: August 17, 1990.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/bio.aspx?b=0xlwka551b1lnv45riwikw452420091851493&m=18

One more thing to remember, there is a 50/50 chance that the successor to Selle (or Roper) is not even in the program currently, he could be a freshman sitting on some D-1 A (bowl subdivision what ever) roster.

Gerald Kemp, Zapata, transfer...... I could cared less who the QB of the future is....... I hope AJ and Selvig get healthy in time for the season.... we could start a thread to speculate about who the QB for the football team will be in 3 years.... and we could discuss that on the Football board..... I think these injuries are fairly more significant and more relevant to the Basketball forum. Coming into this season our squad is extremely thin.... and any injuries will be very significant... by looking at who is hurt right now... AJ and Selvig.... losing either of those guys would be devastating to our season.

Baller1 said:
Gerald Kemp, Zapata, transfer...... I could cared less who the QB of the future is....... I hope AJ and Selvig get healthy in time for the season.... we could start a thread to speculate about who the QB for the football team will be in 3 years.... and we could discuss that on the Football board..... I think these injuries are fairly more significant and more relevant to the Basketball forum. Coming into this season our squad is extremely thin.... and any injuries will be very significant... by looking at who is hurt right now... AJ and Selvig.... losing either of those guys would be devastating to our season.

This is a when it rains it pours situation for the griz. This is the first year in a very long time that I can remember the Griz have no walk-ons , or so it appears, and then they lose a player who could come in and contribute right away in Thurman Woods. Then it is rumored that Selvig is still having ankle injury problems, and then the news that all every thing Anthony Johnson. If any of the injuries are lingering that could give the griz only 10 healthy players. Worse both Johnson and Selvig are projected as starters.

Of cource the loss of Johnson would be the biggest loss just not for the Griz but the entire league. A healthy Johnson would have to be the leading contented for for Big Sky player of the year. The bigger impact though to the Griz is his leadership. Once Tinkle finally decided to insert him into the starting line up he literally would not let the Griz lose. If injured, the Griz will need to replace his points en mass, but someone (McGillis?) on the Griz roster will need to step up and provide leadership something they sorely did not have before Johnson got the starting nod.

Next to Johnson, there is no one on the Griz team more skilled than Derek Selvig. He can score, handle the ball, pass, rebound, and block shots all in a very moble 7-0 frame. The thing that woories me about Selvig is the nature of his injury. Nagging foot and ankle injuries are an inherent problem with seven footers. You see them a lot in guy's who grow late teens, like Selvig did between high school to college (6-9 to 7-0 in 6 months). Some times the the feet and ankles simply can not the beating they take play D-1 basketball. Now I saw in two places this fall Selvig listed at 250. I saw a month or so ago and he loked heavier than last year but no where near 250. If he is 250 that would also concern me for a guy with ankle foot problem. Going from 215 to 250 in 6-9 months can not help the ankle situation.

Here is what i think the griz starting line up will be if everyone is heathly.

PG Johnson
SG Young
SF McGillis (maybe technically you switch McGillis and Young)
PF Selvig
C Qvale

First off the bench

Ward (at the PF or C)
Stockton (at PG)
Staudacher and/or Taylor (at the SF or SG)

Deeper on the bench

Banny
Cherry (freshman need to earn it)
Hutchison (should redshirt but will not)

Now start take taking Selvig or Johnson out and look who starts to move up. Johnson is the bigger los but the Griz do have a lot more options at the guard spot in which sub in given the flexibility of their players. Selvig is not even close to the impact player of Johnson, but you subtract him from the equation and there is simply not the same depth here. Ward was expected to push Selvig this year but after that you may be looking at Hutchison or possibly Mcgillis and Banny playing substantial time at the power forward.

Here is the good new though Griz fans, as a Bobcat basketball fan I can almost guarantee you that come Conference time or at the very least by the first Cat/Griz game Johnson will be healthy and he will play, it is just the way things always go.

Thanks Mslacat!! yea its scary to think about losing one or both of those guys for any amount of time this season.... just glad there is still plenty of time to get them healthy. keeping our guys injury free is going to be huge for the Griz this year considering how inexperienced and really how low on numbers our squad is..... this season has potential for disaster and is making me very nervous already, lets hope we get healthy and stay that way!!

GrizBBIsKing said:
Without AJ, the Griz BB team will be like a ship without a rudder. AJ better get better.

I have heard from a couple people today, telling me that Selvig is on the court playing ball again, and that Johnson injury is not that serious, and is more of a banged up knee. I am assured barring any other injury, that both will be on the court come the Griz first game.

Now I have not had the chance to see either on the court.

Hey Tinkle what the heck is this open gym thing at 6:00 AM you make it tough for a Bobcat to make it down there!

Mslacat said:
GrizBBIsKing said:
Without AJ, the Griz BB team will be like a ship without a rudder. AJ better get better.

I have heard from a couple people today, telling me that Selvig is on the court playing ball again, and that Johnson injury is not that serious, and is more of a banged up knee. I am assured barring any other injury, that both will be on the court come the Griz first game.

Now I have not had the chance to see either on the court.

Hey Tinkle what the heck is this open gym thing at 6:00 AM you make it tough for a Bobcat to make it down there!

Good news on Selvig.... thanks Mslacat!

We can quit worrying about preseason injuries to Selvig and AJ. Earlier this week I heard from a reliable source that Selvig is fine. Today I heard the same of AJ being 100% as well. We can put these rumors to the side, unless something happens between now and basketball season starting.

In addition it sounds like Young will be a very good player for the GRIZ. He has a good perimeter game and some pretty good handles for his height. Apparently Will Cherry is kicking ass and taking names in p/up games. I have not witnessed this myself, but have faith in who is giving me the information.

Basketball season cannot get here soon enough for me.

luv ya, grizrule, ya bleed maroon and silver, but i an't goin' for the hype, not yet. remember a year ago?
hasquet had improved, was a "monster" in local pickup games. mcgillis was going to bolster our athleticism and permiter defense. i opined that i thought stockton could step right in as a freshman and contribute. expectations were off the chart.

result? a.j. came through, but hasquet, mcgillis and stockton were largely disappointments, while selvig contributed little and qvale failed to make the leap from freshman potential to sophomore production. the one game i saw last year, v. portland state, was probably the worst game i've ever seen played by the griz in many many years of following griz basketball.

this year?

my nephew attends the u. of oregon, so we're having a family reunion around the griz-oregon game the monday before thanksgiving. no more hype or chest-beating from this quarter--until they prove it on the court.

mslacat - any chance you can start working for the Kaimin-quirer?

Excellent info as always. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back