• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ/LC game thread

mtgrizrule

Great picture, best internet pic ever for a GRIZ online broadcast. http://www.gogriz.com/allaccess/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Solid ball movement, some great passes, some not so great passes. Defense looks out of sync, which is to be expected this early. I like the athleticism of Henderson, and Deshields. Gregory on the court now too.

A lot of different mixes of players, which is what you should do in a game like this. But I'm not real pleased with the rebounding and the fact that the Griz are allowing these guys to hang around.

1st half, GRIZ playing everyone. Looks like Tinkle wants to see who can do what, more than going for the blow out. We do not look good on the boards, or inside defensively. Perimeter defense is quick, and it looks like the perimeter defenders have more of a green light to pick pockets off the dribble. I like the more aggressive defense.

Jordan Wood looked much more composed, and pretty relaxed out there, nice passing, good defense, and good penetration from him so far. I doubt he will be shooting it often from outside.

Reader looked great offensively in his minutes, what a smooth looking player he is. A lot of ball and head fakes, they are making their own space with the fakes. Later in the year, that will be a huge asset. The shots from the fakes just are not falling, but that will come around.

Second half, I hope we see more pressure defense, and more focus on scoring. I do want to see the younger guys get some solid minutes together with Deshields, Gregory, Henderson, Reader, Hutchison, and Weisner.

I honestly don't care if the GRIZ blow them out, I want them to work on their depth, and weaknesses.

Monte has a better shooting percentage on 3-balls (behind his back from half court) than Cherry does....

WOW.....I am disappointed in the GRIZ performance tonight. Tinkle looked pissed all game. I feel sorry for the players tomorrow. Can you say "TOUGH" practices? Terrible game, with the exception of creating a lot of turnovers. Hope Selvig gets healthy in the next week.

This was a real ho-hum performance, especially after Selvig went out. Tinks was pretty disappointed in the post game interview on the radio. Mathias came to life in the second half and Kareem had a pretty decent game. I can see where three point shooting may be a problem again this year, though. Will had a tough night and Woods' outside shot looked sadly similar to what he was throwing up last season. The Griz were also tied on the boards by a much smaller team.

I chalk up a lackluster game to first game jitters, different line-up combos etc, but the most disturbing thing that I don't see any answers to is who on this team can we count on to make a 3? A lot of athleticism on this team, but outside shooting looks suspect. I know it's one game but Wood's shooting still doesn't give me much confidence. He looked good, but he didn't make one outside shot I don't think. He'll have a good game or 2 shooting, but game in game out? Cherry will always be inconsistant shooting and with his great moves and ability to get to the hole, that is fine. Kamar and Stewart's best assets are also getting close to the basket. Henderson threw up an ugly 3-point attempt, but I've got an open-mind about him. I still haven't seen one reason to ever play Stockton, but I've thought this for 4 years now. He got torched time after time (and had to commit fouls) on defense yet again and everything slows down when he has the ball. His passes are terrible even. I just don't get it. It's like the Griz are killing a penalty when he's out there. You just want to "survive" his time on the court. I like DeShields. He's got a motor. He'll be a lot of fun to watch, but will probably get limited minutes this year playing behind Cherry and, god help us, Stockton. My bro-in-law went to Gonzaga. You have no idea how much grief I endure from him about this. "We give you (Montana) our legacy rejects (Stockton) and we take your legacy studs (Tinkle)". I can resent it, but I can't deny it as painful as it is.

That was ugly. I know it's way early and it's hard for guys to get up for a game like this, but this team looks like it is going to struggle rebounding and shooting (again). Without Selvig we may really struggle, and that didn't look like a simple ankle twist. From watching Murph checking it out, it looked like a high ankle sprain at best, maybe even the possibilty of a break. Either way I fear Selvig will be out a while, and maybe will nag him all season long. I hope I'm wrong and he's running lines this afternoon.

I was hoping for a season where we didn't have to think about Selvig's health. Glad we got that out of the way early.

I hope Selvig isnt seriously injured, early season injuries suck, but at least if it is some what bad, he should be able to make it back by conf.

I sat close enough to the Griz bench to notice that they strapped the ice pack on Selvig's ankle above and to the outer side of the ankle joint.

Back