Just when

Grizzly Basketball and Big Sky Conference Hoops
User avatar
EverettGriz
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 19163
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Mill Creek, WA

Just when

Post by EverettGriz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:52 pm

you thought the bsc couldnt get more embarrassing....

The Weber at ISU game was postponed mid way through the first half because the roof at Hoyt Barn was leaking.
Booze is the duct tape of life.

User avatar
Buttegrizzle
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:30 pm
I am a fan of: U of M

Re: Just when

Post by Buttegrizzle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:35 pm

EverettGriz wrote:you thought the bsc couldnt get more embarrassing....

The Weber at ISU game was postponed mid way through the first half because the roof at Hoyt Barn was leaking.
What a disaster. It could take 1-2 minutes to evacuate those 378 fans if the ceiling starts to sag.
Last edited by Buttegrizzle on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fat people are harder to kidnap.

User avatar
EverettGriz
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 19163
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Mill Creek, WA

Re: Just when

Post by EverettGriz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:41 pm

On the bright side Gizzle, they can get a lot of people through those huge fucking barn doors at either end of the court.

A true emergency would be if somerhing similar happened in the UNDSU barn. Those fans would need to evacuate one at a time, and even then the lokelyhood of one getting stuck is extremely high.
Booze is the duct tape of life.

AZDoc
Starter
Posts: 3235
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:00 pm
I am a fan of: Griz
Location: Idaho

Re: Just when

Post by AZDoc » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:43 pm

EverettGriz wrote:On the bright side Gizzle, they can get a lot of people through those huge f***[*] barn doors at either end of the court.

A true emergency would be if somerhing similar happened in the UNDSU barn. Those fans would need to evacuate one at a time, and even then the lokelyhood of one getting stuck is extremely high.
Holy freakin crap! :lol: :lol: :lol:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool-Bill Shakespeare
What a Fool Believes-The Doobie Brothers

griz71
Starter
Posts: 2187
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:28 pm
Location: Renton, WA

Re: Just when

Post by griz71 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Ah....the stupendous minidome.
Steve Munson
1555 Union Avenue NE, #35
Renton, WA 98059

User avatar
Proud Griz Man
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 4694
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:50 am

Re: Just when

Post by Proud Griz Man » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:17 am

EverettGriz wrote:you thought the bsc couldnt get more embarrassing....

The Weber at ISU game was postponed mid way through the first half because the roof at Hoyt Barn was leaking.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/ ... spartanntp

just when you thought the MWC couldn't get any more embarrassing . . .


http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... ng-debris/

just when you thought the ACC couldn't get any more embarrassing . . .

User avatar
Buttegrizzle
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:30 pm
I am a fan of: U of M

Re: Just when

Post by Buttegrizzle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:03 am

It is embarrassing. There are at least 4-5 teams playing a very respectable level of basketball right now and even the putrid teams (like say, MSU) have some individual stars worth watching. But look at the shitty attendance numbers!

Maybe it's weather related and the holidays, or ?
Fat people are harder to kidnap.

User avatar
EverettGriz
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 19163
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Mill Creek, WA

Re: Just when

Post by EverettGriz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:02 am

Total attendance at the Sac PSU game: 211


TWO HUNDRED ELEVEN!!!!!!!

Shit, at lesst 190 of those were drunken homeless looking for a place to get warm.



211.....
Booze is the duct tape of life.

rainbear14
3rd String
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:58 am
Location: Oregon coast

Re: Just when

Post by rainbear14 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 pm

certainly not defending the despised BSC but in reality PDX was in total shutdown last evening due to ice storm..Zags/Pilot game cancelled; Blazers game cancelled; I know Montanas don't understand PDX traffic & winter travel but ice is a nightmare. City recommended No Travel other than emergencies --why game was played is the question? 211 in that cracker box gym would appear ok..1 more year in that place.

User avatar
Proud Griz Man
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 4694
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:50 am

Re: Just when

Post by Proud Griz Man » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:22 pm

EverettGriz wrote:Total attendance at the Sac PSU game: 211
TWO HUNDRED ELEVEN!!!!!!!
Shit, at lesst 190 of those were drunken homeless looking for a place to get warm.
211.....
It is not just the BSC - fact.

http://www.portlandpilots.com/boxscore. ... ll&id=8281
Cal State Fullerton 77 over U of Portland 72 in overtime.
Date 12/22/16 Time 7:30 p.m. Attendance: 673
Site: Titan Gym (Fullerton, Calif.)
Referees Frank Harvey, Donn Berdahl, Levon Zakarian


http://www.portlandpilots.com/boxscore. ... ll&id=8283
U of Portland 73 over Pepperdine 60.
Date 12/31/16 Time 5:00 PM Attendance: 1624
Site: Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center)
Referees Michael Greenstein, Deldre Carr, Dennis Flannery

User avatar
EverettGriz
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 19163
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Mill Creek, WA

Re: Just when

Post by EverettGriz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:26 pm

rainbear14 wrote:certainly not defending the despised BSC but in reality PDX was in total shutdown last evening due to ice storm..Zags/Pilot game cancelled; Blazers game cancelled; I know Montanas don't understand PDX traffic & winter travel but ice is a nightmare. City recommended No Travel other than emergencies --why game was played is the question? 211 in that cracker box gym would appear ok..1 more year in that place.

No doubt, 14. And that's a valid argument.

But take a quick gander at the other bsc attendance counts over the weekend. They are NOT DI numbers.
Booze is the duct tape of life.

User avatar
wsucatfan
4th String
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: Just when

Post by wsucatfan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:45 pm

EverettGriz wrote:you thought the bsc couldnt get more embarrassing....

The Weber at ISU game was postponed mid way through the first half because the roof at Hoyt Barn was leaking.
new info on the cause:
votb wrote:We attributed the leaking onto the playing floor tonight to leaks in the old roof at Holt Arena, but we were incorrect. After the game we got the full explanation from Holt Arena Director George Casper. There are no leaks in the roof. Having said that, Holt Arena is constructed with a square piece of roofing at the very center top. That piece has louvered air venting in it installed so any moisture runs off and down the side of the roof, But there was a period tonight when the wind was blowing snow so hard horizontally that it went directly into the vents on the south side of that square. Once the snow blew into those vents the battle was over and all they can do is wait for it to melt. Workers went to the top and tried to stop the dripping, but it was a losing battle. Casper said this has happened only once before during the history of the Dome.
VOTB
http://www.bigskyfans.com/wildcats/view ... 3&start=20

User avatar
WILDCATFAN
Starter
Posts: 1158
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:12 pm
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE WILDCATS

Re: Just when

Post by WILDCATFAN » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:28 am

Proud Griz Man wrote:
EverettGriz wrote:Total attendance at the Sac PSU game: 211
TWO HUNDRED ELEVEN!!!!!!!
Shit, at lesst 190 of those were drunken homeless looking for a place to get warm.
211.....
It is not just the BSC - fact.

http://www.portlandpilots.com/boxscore. ... ll&id=8281
Cal State Fullerton 77 over U of Portland 72 in overtime.
Date 12/22/16 Time 7:30 p.m. Attendance: 673
Site: Titan Gym (Fullerton, Calif.)
Referees Frank Harvey, Donn Berdahl, Levon Zakarian


http://www.portlandpilots.com/boxscore. ... ll&id=8283
U of Portland 73 over Pepperdine 60.
Date 12/31/16 Time 5:00 PM Attendance: 1624
Site: Portland, Ore. (Chiles Center)
Referees Michael Greenstein, Deldre Carr, Dennis Flannery


It's not just the Big Sky, Basketball attendance is low pretty much everywhere in the West.

This is a list I made at the end of the season last year with stats from NCAA.com. Every team from a western conference's attendance
62 Western Conferences Attendance Standings from highest to lowest for all Pac 12, WCC, Big Sky, Big West, Mountain West and WAC teams. (Not Sure where the article got the 14th highest out west for Weber, according to NCAA.com, Weber has the 13th highest average)

Ranking- school- average- conference

Schools in top 100

1. BYU - 14,699- West Coast
2. Arizona- 14,526- Pac 12
3. New Mexico- 13,030- Mountain West
4. Utah- 12,997- Pac 12
5. San Diego State- 12,209- Mountain West
6. UNLV- 11,542- Mountain West
7. California- 10,182- Pac 12
8. Utah State- 8,874- Mountain West
9. Colorado- 8,540- Pac 12
10. UCLA- 8,073- Pac 12
11. Oregon- 7,466- Pac 12
12. Hawaii- 7,081- Big West
13. Weber State- 6,785- Big Sky
14. Washington- 6,784- Pac 12
15. Nevada- 6,554- Mountain West
16. Fresno State- 6,296- Mountain West
17. Boise State- 6,270- Mountain West
18. Oregon State- 6,256- Pac 12
19. Gonzaga- 6,000- West Coast
20. Arizona State- 5,806- Pac 12
21. Grand Canyon- 5,805- WAC
22. Wyoming- 5,481- Mountain West

Schools not in top 100

23. New Mexico State- 4,767- WAC
24. USC- 4,606- Pac 12
25. Stanford- 4,393- Pac 12
26. Montana- 3,955- Big Sky
27. Colorado State- 3,853- Mountain West
28. Long Beach State- 3,215- Big West
29. UC Irvine- 2,978- Big West
30. Washington State- 2,856- Pac 12
31. St. Mary's- 2,611- West Coast
32. Montana State- 2,502- Big Sky
33. Pacific- 2,406- West Coast
34. Portland- 2,385- West Coast
35. Utah Valley- 2,383- WAC
36. UC Santa Barbara- 2,362- Big West
37. Cal Poly- 2,309- Big West
38. Loyola Marymount- 2,221- West Coast
39. UC Davis- 2,111- West Coast

40. San Diego- 1,986- West Coast
41. North Dakota- 1,850- Big Sky
42. Idaho State- 1,836- Big Sky
43. Santa Clara- 1,763- West Coast
44. Eastern Washington- 1,747- Big Sky
45. Southern Utah- 1,695- Big Sky
46. Seattle- 1,675- WAC
47. Cal State Bakersfield- 1,657- WAC
48. San Jose State- 1,647- Mountain West
49. Pepperdine- 1,572- West Coast
50. Missouri Kansas City- 1,528- WAC
51. San Francisco- 1,524- West Coast
52. Air Force- 1,476- Mountain West
53. Idaho- 1,400- Big Sky
54. Northern Colorado- 1,247- Big Sky
55. Northern Arizona- 1,235- Big Sky
56. Texas Rio Grande Valley- 1,134- WAC
57. Cal St. Northridge- 1,132- Big West
58. Chicago State- 1,091- WAC
59. Cal St. Fullerton- 1,077- Big West
60. Sacramento State- 859- Big Sky
61. UC Riverside- 841- Big West
62. Portland State- 662- Big Sky (Portland State had the 11th worst average in D1 hoops)
http://bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5341


23 teams had attendance averages last year under 2,000

9 BSC
4 WCC
5 WAC
2 MWC
3 BWC
GOD BLESS AMERICA and GO WILDCATS

Bengal visitor
4th String
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Just when

Post by Bengal visitor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 am

The Big Sky was 20th in the nation among 32 D-1 conferences last year. Not great, but not horrible. Bottom line is that college basketball, outside the P-5 and a few hot spots like Gonzaga (whose arena only seats 6,000, but is filled every night) is a declining commodity. Far too much hoops on television, and declining interest among students and younger fans. The Montana schools are not immune to this trend -- their attendance has been steadily declining over the past two decades, as has attendance at most Big Sky schools.

I know Everett's response will be, "Well if we could just get out of this lousy conference, we'd draw much better." Of course you would. But until that happens, this is your reality.

User avatar
WILDCATFAN
Starter
Posts: 1158
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:12 pm
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE WILDCATS

Re: Just when

Post by WILDCATFAN » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 am

Bengal visitor wrote:The Big Sky was 20th in the nation among 32 D-1 conferences last year. Not great, but not horrible. Bottom line is that college basketball, outside the P-5 and a few hot spots like Gonzaga (whose arena only seats 6,000, but is filled every night) is a declining commodity. Far too much hoops on television, and declining interest among students and younger fans. The Montana schools are not immune to this trend -- their attendance has been steadily declining over the past two decades, as has attendance at most Big Sky schools.

I know Everett's response will be, "Well if we could just get out of this lousy conference, we'd draw much better." Of course you would. But until that happens, this is your reality.

I'm not so sure they would, Montana had 3,710 fans for the Big Sky Championship rematch on a Saturday night, heck more fans showed up Thursday night for Idaho State (3,848). If Montana fans cant get up for that game, a game against their biggest basketball rival, then I don't think any game would get them excited enough to show up in larger numbers
GOD BLESS AMERICA and GO WILDCATS

i do love the griz
2nd String
Posts: 852
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:20 am
I am a fan of: MONTANA
Location: Griz Nation

Re: Just when

Post by i do love the griz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 am

WILDCATFAN wrote:
Bengal visitor wrote:The Big Sky was 20th in the nation among 32 D-1 conferences last year. Not great, but not horrible. Bottom line is that college basketball, outside the P-5 and a few hot spots like Gonzaga (whose arena only seats 6,000, but is filled every night) is a declining commodity. Far too much hoops on television, and declining interest among students and younger fans. The Montana schools are not immune to this trend -- their attendance has been steadily declining over the past two decades, as has attendance at most Big Sky schools.

I know Everett's response will be, "Well if we could just get out of this lousy conference, we'd draw much better." Of course you would. But until that happens, this is your reality.

I'm not so sure they would, Montana had 3,710 fans for the Big Sky Championship rematch on a Saturday night, heck more fans showed up Thursday night for Idaho State (3,848). If Montana fans cant get up for that game, a game against their biggest basketball rival, then I don't think any game would get them excited enough to show up in larger numbers
A couple of things there. The game was actually at 2 and it was NYE. It's horrible scheduling for such a big home game, especially after missing out last year. I will agree that attendance was awful (especially the students, their section was filled mostly with HS basketball teams), but the time and date made that game a prettt tough draw in my opinion.

User avatar
WILDCATFAN
Starter
Posts: 1158
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:12 pm
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE WILDCATS

Re: Just when

Post by WILDCATFAN » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:19 am

i do love the griz wrote:
WILDCATFAN wrote:
Bengal visitor wrote:The Big Sky was 20th in the nation among 32 D-1 conferences last year. Not great, but not horrible. Bottom line is that college basketball, outside the P-5 and a few hot spots like Gonzaga (whose arena only seats 6,000, but is filled every night) is a declining commodity. Far too much hoops on television, and declining interest among students and younger fans. The Montana schools are not immune to this trend -- their attendance has been steadily declining over the past two decades, as has attendance at most Big Sky schools.

I know Everett's response will be, "Well if we could just get out of this lousy conference, we'd draw much better." Of course you would. But until that happens, this is your reality.

I'm not so sure they would, Montana had 3,710 fans for the Big Sky Championship rematch on a Saturday night, heck more fans showed up Thursday night for Idaho State (3,848). If Montana fans cant get up for that game, a game against their biggest basketball rival, then I don't think any game would get them excited enough to show up in larger numbers
A couple of things there. The game was actually at 2 and it was NYE. It's horrible scheduling for such a big home game, especially after missing out last year. I will agree that attendance was awful (especially the students, their section was filled mostly with HS basketball teams), but the time and date made that game a prettt tough draw in my opinion.

My bad on the Saturday night, I forgot it was a 2pm tip-off. And your other point is very valid. I agree that it was a horrible date to put that game, I remember a few years ago when Weber had the Montana's at home during New Years and it did slightly affect the attendance. But the numbers for the last game were still surprisingly low to me.
GOD BLESS AMERICA and GO WILDCATS

sacstateman
4th String
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:20 pm
I am a fan of: sacstate

Re: Just when

Post by sacstateman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:43 pm

We may have only had 859 on average but that is 85% of capacity...not bad...probably the best percentage of capacity in the BSC...

User avatar
EverettGriz
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 19163
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Mill Creek, WA

Re: Just when

Post by EverettGriz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:05 pm

sacstateman wrote:We may have only had 859 on average but that is 85% of capacity...not bad...probably the best percentage of capacity in the BSC...
So, what you're saying is that my shitter, with a capacity of one, outdraws sac?
Booze is the duct tape of life.

User avatar
griznative24
4th String
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:22 pm
I am a fan of: The Grizzlies
Location: Missoula

Re: Just when

Post by griznative24 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:22 pm

Bengal visitor wrote:The Big Sky was 20th in the nation among 32 D-1 conferences last year. Not great, but not horrible. Bottom line is that college basketball, outside the P-5 and a few hot spots like Gonzaga (whose arena only seats 6,000, but is filled every night) is a declining commodity. Far too much hoops on television, and declining interest among students and younger fans. The Montana schools are not immune to this trend -- their attendance has been steadily declining over the past two decades, as has attendance at most Big Sky schools.

I know Everett's response will be, "Well if we could just get out of this lousy conference, we'd draw much better." Of course you would. But until that happens, this is your reality.
Good post and this is true, but I would like to add the the UofM does absolutely nothing to promote its hoops squad. I go to school here, and there is an absence of knowledge across campus that the school even has basketball teams. There is no promotion for home games. Their social media accounts are lacking in posts and highlights. No tailgating/festivities. And a soundtrack that's made up mostly of Jock Jams from 1993. Because of all this the student section looks like a lifeless mob (xanax could be a problem here, too). Put a little effort here and there and I bet that attendance would go up.

Post Reply