• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Road to Reno?

As I reported last year it was alot of fun and pretty fan friendly. I realize the move to reno was considered a bad move by many, however I was just wondering if anyone was going to support this great team and catch some great hoops. I expect another rematch for the championship and some great games in the semis.

If this were in Spokane, I'd take time off work in a heartbeat for the tournament. Being Reno is a lot further and I know very few people in the area, the time and cost has me to chose between the conference tournament or the NCAA regionals. I thoroughly enjoyed the NCAA regionals I attended in SLC, ALB (NM), Denver, and Omaha.

If the GRIZ make the NCAA this season, they will likely be sent to play in SLC or Sacramento. Both places, I could stay at affordably and likely have a better time than the BSC Tournament in Reno. I am sure there are other GRIZ fans with a similar decision, as I have. I wish this tournament were in Spokane, Billings, or even Boise.

mtgrizrule said:
If this were in Spokane, I'd take time off work in a heartbeat for the tournament. Being Reno is a lot further and I know very few people in the area, the time and cost has me to chose between the conference tournament or the NCAA regionals. I thoroughly enjoyed the NCAA regionals I attended in SLC, ALB (NM), Denver, and Omaha.

If the GRIZ make the NCAA this season, they will likely be sent to play in SLC or Sacramento. Both places, I could stay at affordably and likely have a better time than the BSC Tournament in Reno. I am sure there are other GRIZ fans with a similar decision, as I have. I wish this tournament were in Spokane, Billings, or even Boise.
or better yet, back on the regular season champion's home court, where it belongs! :thumb:

grizzlyjournal said:
AZDoc said:
I may. Lived there for a year and now moved to near Boise. Easy drive.

THIS! The whole notion of an easy drive should have been an important criteria for selecting a tourney site.

If the tourney site were located in Spokane (which has an outstanding facility, I might add) I would have made my motel reservations by the first day of basketball practice. Even a 500-mile drive would be ok (which could have included from Missoula to Portland or SLC, for instance).

As is, only three schools are within 500 miles, only ONE school within 450 miles. SEVEN current Big Sky schools are within 450 miles of Spokane.

The argument presented to me by Reno advocates... "What about the five schools more than 500 miles from Spokane? So let's select a city that would be easiest to reach by fans from all 12 schools."

Last September I priced out a possible flight (etc. etc.) to Reno. A minimum of $1000 more than Spokane.

I'm a basketball freak. I'd love to make tourney plans. As is (Grrrrr....) I end up thinking that Everett has the best solution to the problems of the Big Sky.

I'm rooting for the Griz. But come tourney time, it won't be in Reno.

grizzlyjournal said:
AZDoc said:
I may. Lived there for a year and now moved to near Boise. Easy drive.

THIS! The whole notion of an easy drive should have been an important criteria for selecting a tourney site.

If the tourney site were located in Spokane (which has an outstanding facility, I might add) I would have made my motel reservations by the first day of basketball practice. Even a 500-mile drive would be ok (which could have included from Missoula to Portland or SLC, for instance).

As is, only three schools are within 500 miles, only ONE school within 450 miles. SEVEN current Big Sky schools are within 450 miles of Spokane.

The argument presented to me by Reno advocates... "What about the five schools more than 500 miles from Spokane? So let's select a city that would be easiest to reach by fans from all 12 schools."

Last September I priced out a possible flight (etc. etc.) to Reno. A minimum of $1000 more than Spokane.

I'm a basketball freak. I'd love to make tourney plans. As is, I end up thinking that Everett has the best solution to the problems of the Big Sky.

I'm rooting for the Griz. But come tourney time, it won't be in Reno.

Partly because of Tahoe, obviously the prices are ridiculous. Southwest flies to Spokane, so larger city areas can get there pretty easy. I agree Spokane was my choice as well. I wonder if Spokane wasn't really that interested...and BSC went with the #2 choice. Is it a 3 or 5 year deal with Reno?

There's actually a very lengthy thread on Reno from April, 2016. After last year's tourney, I had been openly critical of Reno as the tourney site. I received an impassioned defense from Jon Kasper (former Griz football beat writer for the Missoulian), who now serves as the Big Sky's Assistant Commissioner of Championships. In all fairness to Jon, he was very open and detailed in his defense of the Big Sky selecting Reno... a three year commitment by the Big Sky. I do know the conference considered Spokane, but could not resolve logistical issues with the Spokane Arena.

I posted Jon's very detailed explanations in favor of Reno in a post generated on March 30. I'll bump the thread for those interested. Jon's a great guy and passionate advocate of the Big Sky and Reno as the best site for the Big Sky Basketball tourneys.

After my exchange with Jon, I thought I'd make a concerted effort to get to the tourney in Reno this year... and I tried. But in the long run it became clear to me that Reno in March is not even remotely cost effective for me. I'm just glad I'll be able to watch the tourney on a live stream.

For those of you that do choose to make the tourney send me a pm I would like to meet some griz fans that show up. I'm looking forward to seeing what changes if any are made. I will be interested to see if attendance changes this year.

I believe one of the big issues with the Spokane package was that a large part of the Women's Tournament would have been played at EWU. The BSC was looking for both tournaments being at a neutral location.

HelenaHandBasket said:
I believe one of the big issues with the Spokane package was that a large part of the Women's Tournament would have been played at EWU. The BSC was looking for both tournaments being at a neutral location.

This is accurate.

I liked the reward for winning the regular season. I know it's not like other conference tournaments, but I don't care!i l liked the reward for winning the season. I also understand the neutral sight thing, but the reason other conferences do it is because they have to use big arenas and have people that travel! The Big Sky doesn't travel in large quantities! You look at the small crowds in Reno during last year's tournament, well that's not gonna change! It's that Anthony Johnson moment in Weber that sticks in my mind. Such an incredible scene winning at Weber!

I know Billings put together a bid, but were they really ever in the running? Slightly higher travel costs, but I the city would have shown up and added some attendance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back