• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

So frustrating...

Griz2k

DONOR
Everytime I start to think the men's basketball team has turned a corner and become one of if not thee elite team in the Big Sky, they go and do something like this. Swept by PSU and Sac? Come on man. One positive note.....this team obviously doesn't quit. Down huge in both games and fought back to at least make them interesting.

...take all the timeouts...
...before it gets away...
...not after its gone...

... :roll: ...

Griz2k said:
Everytime I start to think the men's basketball team has turned a corner and become one of if not thee elite team in the Big Sky, they go and do something like this. Swept by PSU and Sac? Come on man. One positive note.....this team obviously doesn't quit. Down huge in both games and fought back to at least make them interesting.

This.

EverettGriz said:
Griz2k said:

This.

Griz BB, imo, will be a much stronger team in '18 with Akoh and Dorsey added to the lineup.

I was at the game in Portland on Thursday and went to the Catz game yesterday. While the Griz lost both games on the road, catz went 2-3. Difference? Fish has the BSU team playing hard, they're deeper (than I expected), with more size across their frontline.

We've got great backcourt talent but we're not very deep, as a team, and will really benefit from having some more size around the basket...

In a nutshell, we're going to be fine but this year is going to be a frustrating experience for everyone!

YITB

This Griz team struggles on the defensive end. When they are shooting well people want to overlook it, but when they struggle on the offensive end, they are not able to pick it up on the defensive end.

Yes, it is frustrating. With that said, having to go with such small squad, these kind of inconsistencies can be expected. The GRIZ are deep at guard. Unfortunately, this squad is subject to opponents frequently getting hot on the perimeter. Good ball movement or quick penetrating players can often shoot over defenders, or get to the paint without a true shot blocker to get into opponents heads.

The GRIZ are terrific offensively, when the 3 point shot is falling. However, got to admit it, the 3 point shooting has been inconsistent. One game, the GRIZ are on fire and blow opponents out. The next game or 2, they cannot throw it in the ocean.

Hard to believe of late, Wright, Gfeller, and Moorehead are all struggling with their perimeter games. Dunn is beat up, and it is hard to know what to expect of him.

Pridgett is an extremely talented player. Problem is, he is a freshman that is struggling to consistently find his game. I am hoping his game against Sac St will be the confidence game to get him over the hump. I am sure Travis is hoping the same. A consistent Pridgett would be huge for the remainder of the season.

Krslovic really has picked up his offense of late. Can he be relied on to score 12 plus points per game? Offensively, he has yet to prove he can consistently do it. Like Pridgett, consistent scoring from him would be huge for the team.

Lopez- I feel for him. Due to lack of frontcourt depth, he is forced into too many minutes mixing it up in the paint and on the boards. It wears him down and takes away from his ability to consistently contribute offensively. I would love to see what kind of results Lopez would have if he could strictly be a wing player on both ends of the court (After thinking about it, that could be part of Gfeller's problem too.). Lopez exemplifies everything that is a GRIZ. Great attitude, hard worker, team player, leader, hustler, etc. I'd love to have a Jack Lopez every year on any team.

Oguine- Like Pridgett, he is an extremely talented, gifted, and athletic player. Skill and potential is as high as any GRIZ. What kind of talent and potential does he have? If his game ever gets to his potential, he has a legitimate shot at the NBA. Like most of the team, he is struggling with offensive consistency.

All this has to be frustrating for the coaching staff, and each player. Ahmad Rorie is the only player that has proven to be consistent offensively. Most games, he can be counted on for 18 plus points per game, solid defense, good ball distribution, and low turnovers. He can get his points from the perimeter, the line, and penetration. He is truly a 3 level offensive player. He very seldom struggles.

For the GRIZ to truly be the best in the conference, other players beyond Rorie have to prove to be consistent offensively. Unless that happens, Travis will need to continue to experiment with combinations and playing time game to game. If it were me as coach, and seeing how the season has played out so far, I'd force myself to let the most talented players get through the growing pains of maturation. I'd be committing to as many minutes and opportunities as possible with Rorie, Oguine, Pridgett, Dunn (when healthy), Wright, Krslovic, and Lopez. Those guys would be my core players for the remainder of the season. Unfortunately, Gfeller and Moorehead have yet to prove enough upside and consistency to be part of that equation. Each would have limited minutes to prove themselves. If either or both are on their game early, they get the minutes. If not, it is pine time.

As for the seven players I've chosen to be the main core, they all do multiple aspects of the game well. They all play great or better defense. Krslovic is the only true post presence the team has. The rest of the players can score and distribute. I really do hope Travis rides these 7 starting next week. I hate to sound like an ass, jerk, etc, but Gfeller and Moorehead just have not performed well enough to be having big minutes, and the rest of their game is not complete enough to justify more opportunity. When in doubt, go with upside, leadership, and potential.

I feel sorry for any team that gets a complete team effort by the GRIZ!!!

The Griz have really focused on getting the ball into the high post the last few games. It has dramatically opened up and improved the inside game. But it seemingly has really altered the flow when it comes to getting the guards good looks for 3s.

I feel the same way egriz. . . I do have faith in this Griz team, and the future is definitely bright if everyone can get on the same page. In my opinion this team is just as talented, if not more, than previous Griz teams. Although, we do lack a solid big like Qvale, Selvig, or Martin. I've been watching Griz games since 2011 and I honestly think that Rorie is one of the more talented players the program has had in recent years. Don't get me wrong, Will Cherry, Kareem and Jordan were all great, but I think Rorie has a knack for scoring and the game looks like it comes easy to him. I really hope Gfell and Bobby get back on track as well. And what's the deal with Jack Lopez? The guy can't miss some games and other nights you can't find him out there!
As long as the Griz make a little run here at the end of the season I could see them surprising a lot of people in the conference tourney.

[J said:
"]I feel the same way egriz. . . I do have faith in this Griz team, and the future is definitely bright if everyone can get on the same page. In my opinion this team is just as talented, if not more, than previous Griz teams. Although, we do lack a solid big like Qvale, Selvig, or Martin. I've been watching Griz games since 2011 and I honestly think that Rorie is one of the more talented players the program has had in recent years. Don't get me wrong, Will Cherry, Kareem and Jordan were all great, but I think Rorie has a knack for scoring and the game looks like it comes easy to him. I really hope Gfell and Bobby get back on track as well. And what's the deal with Jack Lopez? The guy can't miss some games and other nights you can't find him out there!
As long as the Griz make a little run here at the end of the season I could see them surprising a lot of people in the conference tourney.

I have to question any post that notes Martin as a "solid big".

Wish Rorie would have pulled a key rebound down late, stopped a guy at the basket a couple times, not gotten in an apparent argument with his coach that forced him to the bench for an entire key conference game, or made one of 2 or 3 key shots late in Saturday's game....would have reminded me more of Cherry, Jamar, or Gregory.

HelenaHandBasket said:
[J said:
"]I feel the same way egriz. . . I do have faith in this Griz team, and the future is definitely bright if everyone can get on the same page. In my opinion this team is just as talented, if not more, than previous Griz teams. Although, we do lack a solid big like Qvale, Selvig, or Martin. I've been watching Griz games since 2011 and I honestly think that Rorie is one of the more talented players the program has had in recent years. Don't get me wrong, Will Cherry, Kareem and Jordan were all great, but I think Rorie has a knack for scoring and the game looks like it comes easy to him. I really hope Gfell and Bobby get back on track as well. And what's the deal with Jack Lopez? The guy can't miss some games and other nights you can't find him out there!

I have to question any post that notes Martin as a "solid big".

Think again. He was referring to Martin Breunig, the best post scorer the GRIZ have seen since LK. :thumb:

Mousegriz said:
Wish Rorie would have pulled a key rebound down late, stopped a guy at the basket a couple times, not gotten in an apparent argument with his coach that forced him to the bench for an entire key conference game, or made one of 2 or 3 key shots late in Saturday's game....would have reminded me more of Cherry, Jamar, or Gregory.

He is only a Sophomore and very competitive. Physically, on the court, his game is well ahead of those guys at the same stage of their careers. I'd love to see him develop the mental toughness those 3 had though. Cherry could always be depended on to make a big defensive stop, usually with a key steal (Oguine shows flashes of being that kind of player). Jamar, could be called on to hit a big shot or take over the game offensively, when needed (Pridgett is a more athletic version of him). Gregory, outright had the mindset, cockiness, toughness and heart that just cannot be coached. He did the most with his talent than any GRIZ in my memory. What Gregory brought to the team is very hard to find these days. I really am not sure which current GRIZ players have Gregory in them. Gregory is one of my favorite GRIZ of all time.

mtgrizrule said:
Mousegriz said:

He is only a Sophomore and very competitive. Physically, on the court, his game is well ahead of those guys at the same stage of their careers. I'd love to see him develop the mental toughness those 3 had though. Cherry could always be depended on to make a big defensive stop, usually with a key steal (Oguine shows flashes of being that kind of player). Jamar, could be called on to hit a big shot or take over the game offensively, when needed (Pridgett is a more athletic version of him). Gregory, outright had the mindset, cockiness, toughness and heart that just cannot be coached. He did the most with his talent than any GRIZ in my memory. What Gregory brought to the team is very hard to find these days. I really am not sure which current GRIZ players have Gregory in them. Gregory is one of my favorite GRIZ of all time.

100% true, good choice.

Latest posts

Back