• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

PSU 124 @ EWU 130

Dick Vitale selected Jacob Wiley as his national player of the week:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18630768/dickie-v-hands-weekly-awards

How did we let Wiley go? Was he just not getting minutes? I know he had a year at Lewis and Clark to hone in on his game, but he's not close to the player he was when he was a Griz!

rocklobster said:
How did we let Wiley go? Was he just not getting minutes? I know he had a year at Lewis and Clark to hone in on his game, but he's not close to the player he was when he was a Griz!

He was a true frosh who got quite a few minutes under Tinkle on a great team. Tinkle contended he'd go down as top rebounder in Griz history. He was real raw as a frosh but very athletic.....kind of like a young Derrick Pope. Despite playing quite a bit as a frosh, think he was a little upset with PT that year.....ended up at L & C State for not one but two years and believe Frontier Player of the Year both those years.

Would have been cool if we'd gone after him for this year, maybe we did. A transfer with immediate eligibility and a kid with this kind of athleticism and matured skills.

I bet Tinkle would kill for Wiley at OSU this year!

Mousegriz said:
rocklobster said:

He was a true frosh who got quite a few minutes under Tinkle on a great team. Tinkle contended he'd go down as top rebounder in Griz history. He was real raw as a frosh but very athletic.....kind of like a young Derrick Pope. Despite playing quite a bit as a frosh, think he was a little upset with PT that year.....ended up at L & C State for not one but two years and believe Frontier Player of the Year both those years.

Would have been cool if we'd gone after him for this year, maybe we did. A transfer with immediate eligibility and a kid with this kind of athleticism and matured skills.

There's a podcast over at Skyline Sports between host Colter Nuanez and Wiley that's quite interesting. Wiley was pretty up front about his leaving the Griz hoops program. Without going back & specifically citing the interview, here's a brief summary, which I believe is pretty accurate: Jake said in the interview that he wasn't as emotionally attached to basketball as a second year player; he hinted that he probably wasn't all that mature & didn't think through his decision. Anyway, he quit, joined the football team and promptly got roughed up quite a bit in football practices (several minor injuries). He was "advised" by a coach that his physical build was more suited to basketball than football and thus not invited back. He didn't indicate why he left school, but I concluded it was because he lost his scholarship.

grizzlyjournal said:
Mousegriz said:
rocklobster said:

There's a podcast over at Skyline Sports between host Colter Nuanez and Wiley that's quite interesting. Wiley was pretty up front about his leaving the Griz hoops program. Without going back & specifically citing the interview, here's a brief summary, which I believe is pretty accurate: Jake said in the interview that he wasn't as emotionally attached to basketball as a second year player; he hinted that he probably wasn't all that mature & didn't think through his decision. Anyway, he quit, joined the football team and promptly got roughed up quite a bit in football practices (several minor injuries). He was "advised" by a coach that his physical build was more suited to basketball than football and thus not invited back. He didn't indicate why he left school, but I concluded it was because he lost his scholarship.

Thanks to you both.

rocklobster said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Mousegriz said:
rocklobster said:

Thanks to you both.

Here's the feature I wrote about Wiley's journey

FULL CIRCLE: Wiley left basketball only to find love for the game once again
http://skylinesportsmt.com/full-circle-wiley-left-basketball-only-to-find-love-for-the-game-once-again/

Here is the referenced interview...

Big Sky Breakdown: Stars of Big Sky basketball, January 12
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-breakdown-stars-jan-12/
In this weekly installment of Stars of Big Sky basketball, Colter Nuanez is joined by Eastern Washington senior forward Jake Wiley, North Dakota head coach Brian Jones, Northern Colorado head coach Jeff Linder and Southern Utah head coach Todd Simon. Plus, hear Nuanez’s weekly spot on Nach on Sports on KGEZ in Kalispell with Anthony Nachreiner.

Jake Wiley, Eastern Washington senior — 4:15

North Dakota head coach Brian Jones — 13:30

Northern Colorado head coach Jeff Linder — 26:16

Southern Utah head coach Todd Simon — 42:19

KGEZ Spot — 55:01

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
rocklobster said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Mousegriz said:

Thanks to you both.

http://skylinesportsmt.com/full-circle-wiley-left-basketball-only-to-find-love-for-the-game-once-again/

In this weekly installment of Stars of Big Sky basketball, Colter Nuanez is joined by Eastern Washington senior forward Jake Wiley, North Dakota head coach Brian Jones, Northern Colorado head coach Jeff Linder and Southern Utah head coach Todd Simon. Plus, hear Nuanez’s weekly spot on Nach on Sports on KGEZ in Kalispell with Anthony Nachreiner.

Colter: Thanks. I was too lazy to do the work locating the links. I enjoyed the article and have also enjoyed the podcasts.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
rocklobster said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Mousegriz said:

Thanks to you both.

Thanks Colter. Appreciate your writing.

Back