• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nice Win by Lady Griz over SFA

PlayerRep

The LG led all or most of way. Played well. I was surprised to learn that SFA was previously 6-1. The LG seemed like the better team the whole way.

SFA had a trapping press, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as the one Long Beach had. The press caused some turnover, but the LG threw a lot of longer passes and cross court passes that got tipped or intercepted.

Stiles was a one-person press beaker, moving down court fast with eyes up, throwing great longer passes downcourt. Often one-handed. Often to teammates who scored. she had 5 assists. She is a nice player.

Hailey Nicholson had a great game off the bench, with 16. Jace Henderson continues to be tough on the inside and a good rebounder (9). Everyone played well. Goligoski had a nice game off the bench, as did Johnston, who had 7 assists but 8 turnovers.

The 5 players mentioned got the most minutes and were on the court for much of the 4th quarter. I like that group of 5, but the other players are good too.

I like watching this team. They are coming into their own, and are going to win some games.

One female ref was awful and must be blind. Both teams got screwed on some calls. Terrible calls.

P.S. For those who focus on typos, please just copy the post, correct the typos and post below. Thx.

I was at the game. It was a fun one to watch, and a great win for the LG. They were up by 16 or so on the 3rd quarter. SFA made a run, but the Griz held them off and finished strong. That’s a good sign in a young team.

Three wins in a row. Go check them out!

Took daughters to the game and had similar observations. Don't believe they ever trailed. Baseball passes were a nice counter to the press, several highlight reel passes and rebounds. Correct that several were picked off tho...

I believe SFA averaged around 80 ppg coming in. Scrappy defense was impressive and hope they can maintain that energy. Ditto on that ref, drew some boos for lame calls both ways that were perplexing.

Jace Henderson looked like the best/hardest working on the floor for much of her minutes.

Lol at the typo quip PR...

PlayerRep said:
The LG led all or most of way. Played well. I was surprised to learn that SFA was previously 6-1. The LG seemed like the better team the whole way.

SFA had a trapping press, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as the one Long Beach had. The press caused some turnover, but the LG threw a lot of longer passes and cross court passes that got tipped or intercepted.

Stiles was a one-person press beaker, moving down court fast with eyes up, throwing great longer passes downcourt. Often one-handed. Often to teammates who scored. she had 5 assists. She is a nice player.

Hailey Nicholson had a great game off the bench, with 16. Jace Henderson continues to be tough on the inside and a good rebounder (9). Everyone played well. Goligoski had a nice game off the bench, as did Johnston, who had 7 assists but 8 turnovers.

The 5 players mentioned got the most minutes and were on the court for much of the 4th quarter. I like that group of 5, but the other players are good too.

I like watching this team. They are coming into their own, and are going to win some games.

One female ref was awful and must be blind. Both teams got screwed on some calls. Terrible calls.

P.S. For those who focus on typos, please just copy the post, correct the typos and post below. Thx.

Much better with the spelling man...now how about your English skills in the thread title... :D

AZDoc said:
PlayerRep said:

Much better with the spelling man...now how about your English skills in the thread title... :D

Funny. That's a now corrected typo. Thx.

CFallsGriz said:
Took daughters to the game and had similar observations. Don't believe they ever trailed. Baseball passes were a nice counter to the press, several highlight reel passes and rebounds. Correct that several were picked off tho...

I believe SFA averaged around 80 ppg coming in. Scrappy defense was impressive and hope they can maintain that energy. Ditto on that ref, drew some boos for lame calls both ways that were perplexing.

Jace Henderson looked like the best/hardest working on the floor for much of her minutes.

I have been saying all season that it's too bad Henderson isn't 2 or 3 inches taller. Even at 6 even, she plays big. Good position. Improving moves. Strong. Not intimidated by taller timber. A fighter. She got a great rebound last night in the midst of 3 opponents, even though she was pushed a couple feet while in the air. Love how she plays.

CFallsGriz said:

SFA held a short lived 4 to 3 lead early on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to hear the team is coming together. Also good to hear that they have can break a full court press now. Not sure if it was players or coaching but that was the one thing that drove me nuts when Robin was coaching. We would get killed by teams that pressed us because we did the exact same thing every time which was stop, pickup our dribble and then try and pass. Even Mandy Morales did it. Absolutely killed us in the NCAA tourney.

Maybe the guys they have as practice players help with that. Kind of implied that in the article.

PlayerRep said:
CFallsGriz said:

I have been saying all season that it's too bad Henderson isn't 2 or 3 inches taller. Even at 6 even, she plays big. Good position. Improving moves. Strong. Not intimidated by taller timber. A fighter. She got a great rebound last night in the midst of 3 opponents, even though she was pushed a couple feet while in the air. Love how she plays.

Jace also looks like and performs like a girl with a very high basketball IQ as well. I also see Stiles as being VERY hoops savvy---especially for a Freshman.

PlayerRep said:
CFallsGriz said:

She (Jace) reminds me of a less demonstrative version of former Lady Griz Sarah Ena.

I really like what Sophia Stiles has brought to the table for the Lady Griz this season, especially with the way she played last night. Her defense has been a very valuable asset and she plays with a lot of fearless abandon. The defense I feel will be even stronger once Caitlin Lonergan becomes eligible to play after Christmas. I was a little surprised to see that Gabi Harrington would be redshirting and not Stiles, but if there's a hole in Gabi's game that needs a season of work then the redshirt will be beneficial to her.

MissoulaCanucksFan said:
I was a little surprised to see that Gabi Harrington would be redshirting and not Stiles, but if there's a hole in Gabi's game that needs a season of work then the redshirt will be beneficial to her.

She definitely has the potential. Harrington, along with Madison Schoening, was on the Idaho 4A All-State First Team in 2016. <http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/high-school/girls-prep-basketball/article68506517.html The LG has some potentially decent perimeter (backcourt) players over the next couple years. Be even better if we can develop some frontcourt players along the way as well.

WyomingGrizFan said:
MissoulaCanucksFan said:
I was a little surprised to see that Gabi Harrington would be redshirting and not Stiles, but if there's a hole in Gabi's game that needs a season of work then the redshirt will be beneficial to her.

She definitely has the potential. Harrington, along with Madison Schoening, was on the Idaho 4A All-State First Team in 2016. <http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/high-school/girls-prep-basketball/article68506517.html The LG has some potentially decent perimeter (backcourt) players over the next couple years. Be even better if we can develop some frontcourt players along the way as well.
Never knew that. Scrolled a little further down the article and noticed current Griz VB player Sarah Grinnell on the 2nd Team. Never knew she was a hooper along with being a spiker.

Back