• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Please Tell Me About Eric Prater

geaux_sioux

Eric Prater is going to be a school start walk on at UND this year. I know he was on your team last year so I figure someone on here has seen him at least practice. I'm just curious what your guys thought of him as a QB. The Army Ranger thing has me sold on his character and maturity obviously.

havgrizfan said:
Absolutely great dude. Not a kid, he's a man. But he was absolutely buried on the UM depth chart
I figure, at the very least, he will be a tremendous leader and hold people accountable. I love having over age military guys on a team. It's like having a extra coach.

Absolute cannon for an arm. Pretty mobile if I remember correctly. Don't think he was good at finding 2nd and 3rd reads but part of that may have been from rust of not playing while in the military. Also I remember hearing that he couldn't throw a touch pass. Weather it was 5 yards or 50 yards, it was coming as hard as he could throw.

grizfan95 said:
Wouldn't he have to sit out a year?
Yea, he has to sit out a year. I'm comfortable with our starting QB but not so much with what's behind him. I'm just curious if he's the caliber that he could be a one year starter when he's a senior. We need a guy to fill the gap between Studsrud who's a junior this year and our QB that we are going to bring in this recruiting class.

geaux_sioux said:
grizfan95 said:
Yea, he has to sit out a year. I'm comfortable with our starting QB but not so much with what's behind him. I'm just curious if he's the caliber that he could be a one year starter when he's a senior. We need a guy to fill the gap between Studsrud who's a junior this year and our QB that we are going to bring in this recruiting class.

Are you sure he has to sit out year? Would be surprised if he was on scholarship at UM, but don't know. Thought the restrictions only applied to scholarship guys.

alabamagrizzly said:
Absolute cannon for an arm. Pretty mobile if I remember correctly. Don't think he was good at finding 2nd and 3rd reads but part of that may have been from rust of not playing while in the military. Also I remember hearing that he couldn't throw a touch pass. Weather it was 5 yards or 50 yards, it was coming as hard as he could throw.

Pretty good summary. From what I saw and was told he does have a very strong arm in terms of "He throws the ball really hard". He certainly showed last year that he had a hard time going through progressions. Would lock on to #1 target and not really scan the field. Short/mid range stuff was easier for him, deeper passes were tougher and accuracy was an issue. At one point last season I was told that he's actually not a great/fast runner due to injuries/issues from his tour of duty.

Last season while Gus, Chalich, and Simis showed progression in Stitt's offense, Prater was stuck. I don't recall him getting much for reps at all last fall. This spring he had just a few chances but it seemed the coaches already knew the way QB was going to go (at least that's my guess).

Based off when I saw him the most, spring of 2015, I didn't really think he had the skills or tools to be a susscessful starting FCS (or higher) QB. However to his credit, it was a new system, new coaches, new everything. That spring was a bit of a mess and his sloppy play could have been attributed more to that than his actual talent.

The posts speaking to his character are similar as well to what I heard and observed, seemed like a real great guy when working with the team in practice.

PlayerRep said:
geaux_sioux said:
grizfan95 said:

Are you sure he has to sit out year? Would be surprised if he was on scholarship at UM, but don't know. Thought the restrictions only applied to scholarship guys.
Did he ever get into a game? I thought you actually had to "play the game" to be counted as an eligibility year.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
geaux_sioux said:
grizfan95 said:

Did he ever get into a game? I thought you actually had to "play the game" to be counted as an eligibility year.

Definitely not correct. Just like Daum has to sit out a year transferring to the Cats.

PlayerRep said:
geaux_sioux said:
grizfan95 said:

Has to sit year no matter what , only way not to is transfer down a level!!

Sorry it didn't work out for you in Missoula Eric. Here's hoping the next opportunity will be the one you were looking for. Best of luck always.

havgrizfan said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
geaux_sioux said:

Definitely not correct. Just like Daum has to sit out a year transferring to the Cats.
Isn't it also possible to play right away, if the school he's transferring from grants a waiver?

geaux_sioux said:
All you have to do is enroll in a D1 school and your clock is ticking whether you play sports or not.

You are absolutely correct, except for one minor thing. Your clock starts when you enroll FULL-TIME(athlete or not),

It does not start if you enroll part-time (athlete or not). In fact that's why Grey-Shirts clocks don't start until they enroll full-time.

SeattleBobcat said:
havgrizfan said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

Isn't it also possible to play right away, if the school he's transferring from grants a waiver?

No.

Remember Ken Wood, UM punter?

""There were several guys we looked at, and he was kind of a late arrival," said Hauck, who saw last fall's punter, Ken Wood, head off to Texas A&M." This is from a Missoulian article at the end of August 2009.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/tall-order-transfer-punter-sean-wren-fills-niche-for-griz/article_c52d9d7e-9206-11de-ad39-001cc4c03286.html

Ken Wood had 30 punts for Texas A&M in 2009. Scroll down to the bottom of this link. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-am/2009.html

This link show Wood's 2008 stats at Montana (61 punts), and his 2009 and 2010 stats at UM. http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/ken-wood-player

Some of you have some explaining to do, or else you need to show when the rules changed after Woods transferred. Catsack, are you listening?

PlayerRep said:
Remember Ken Wood, UM punter?

""There were several guys we looked at, and he was kind of a late arrival," said Hauck, who saw last fall's punter, Ken Wood, head off to Texas A&M." This is from a Missoulian article at the end of August 2009.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/tall-order-transfer-punter-sean-wren-fills-niche-for-griz/article_c52d9d7e-9206-11de-ad39-001cc4c03286.html

Ken Wood had 30 punts for Texas A&M in 2009. Scroll down to the bottom of this link. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-am/2009.html

This link show Wood's 2008 stats at Montana (61 punts), and his 2009 and 2010 stats at UM. http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/ken-wood-player

Some of you have some explaining to do, or else you need to show when the rules changed after Woods transferred. Catsack, are you listening?
I'm not sure it applies if you change levels D1-AA TO D1-A, that would be UM TO A&M. Just like a D2 guy coming here or any of the D1-A Coming here like Strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

havgrizfan said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
geaux_sioux said:

Can you imagine having to sit a year and then having to play for the Cats?! I know anti-depressants tend to be over prescribed but still....

Back