• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Uniform Info and some really cool stuff from Saturday

George Ferguson

Been playing golf all day and hadn't a chance to post this. Met some interesting people at the Holiday Inn Express this weekend, including a rep who was here for the game from Nike, Jordan Harper's parents and the officiating crew.

First, the uniforms. I know everybody had their opinions and I see Cat fans hating on us and all, but the minute I saw the tops with the pants, I loved them. The Nike rep told me this year's consensus was simple, solid colors with less going on on the unis. He wouldn't tell me all the combos, but he told me the main home uniform will be the old-school maroon top/solid silver pants. The maroon pants will go into the road rotation as well, and there are other uniform combos. He said the players involved in the process all referenced the unis they saw growing up, mostly 2000-2009. An interesting fact about the new unis is, though they are very simple with two colors, maroon and silver, only Montana, Oregon and Oregon State has this exact Pro Combat style this season. The material, composition and exact design of the Griz' unis this season aren't available to most of Nike's schools until 2014 from what I was told. Thought that was pretty cool. Ran into Nate Harris at a gas station after the game and he said it doesn't even feel like they are wearing a true football uni because they are so light and fit so perfectly. He said they are pretty much the coolest thing he's ever worn in athletics.

Also of note from the game. An observation but thought it was interesting. The red-shirts were really trying to keep the student section in check. Not the fun craziness aspect but the taunting of Appy's players, chants and what not. I witnessed a large group of kids filing down behind the redshirts well before the game started and they were chanting FTC (like dumbasses) and a couple of the red-shirts really admonished them. I'm not sure which ones they were cause they were turned around so I couldn't see the names,but one of them yelled at the kids chanting it "We don't do that here." I thought that was really interesting conisdering none of the RS have even been in the rivalry yet. Another group of girls tried to start the chant and again some of the Redshirts turned around and pretty much put a stop to it quickly. I thought that was really cool.

Met Jordan Harper's parents. They were so excited and proud. Very nice people. Also spoke with a ref who said it was a great game to officiate. He said the noise was unlike anything he's ever experienced. He said it was one of best season-openers he's ever worked based on the atmosphere, the teams, and the execution. He said it was one of the cleanest season-openers he's ever seen and he thought both teams were really talented.

Anyway, a lot to digest still from an amazing night, but those were some things I thought I'd share.

I like to see that mindset from the red-shirts - hope it's an attitude and culture that will permeate throughout the team from here on out. Class.

Material-wise, I think that's awesome. Erik Sprunk really coming through for us in that regard, and even though I'm not a huge fan of the plain/flat color scheme, I thought they did a pretty good job overall with the Unis.

I know the paw helmet won't be our main helmet, but I hope we can bust it out again once or twice this year. I really think it's badass.

As for the student section stuff, I was there a little ways from the redshirts, and didn't hear any chanting, but it might have been before I got there. There was a group of girls I think I know you're referring to, who were a little annoying. They were painted up, and kept trying to start chants while we were on offense, and trying to get the wave going (it's stupid enough once, but the students kept trying to do it all throughout the second quarter). I saw Brandon Dotson in the student section as well, which was cool to see.

I have to say it may have been the best officiating I have seen in memory from BSC officials. It wasn't until they were mentioned here that I even thought about them. That is exactly what the officials should be, virtually invisible, making the right calls and not disrupting the flow of the game. As a consistent critic of BSC officiating, I need to say WELL DONE!

Another cool incident. Sitting in the NEZ I saw two of the crowd control people (kind of dressed like forest rangers without the hat) take a flask from one of the fans although they did not remove the fan. A few minutes later they returned and gave the now emptied flask back to the fan, who appeared quite grateful.
No arguments, no disruptions, no ejections, just two ladies doing their job and a fan accepting he was in the wrong. Gratifying to witness. Class on both sides. :thumb: :thumb:

THE BETCH said:
Another cool incident. Sitting in the NEZ I saw two of the crowd control people (kind of dressed like forest rangers without the hat) take a flask from one of the fans although they did not remove the fan. A few minutes later they returned and gave the now emptied flask back to the fan, who appeared quite grateful.
No arguments, no disruptions, no ejections, just two ladies doing their job and a fan accepting he was in the wrong. Gratifying to witness. Class on both sides. :thumb: :thumb:
Having a flask at the game can't be wrong; tell me it isn't so....

havgrizfan said:
Been playing golf all day and hadn't a chance to post this. Met some interesting people at the Holiday Inn Express this weekend, including a rep who was here for the game from Nike, Jordan Harper's parents and the officiating crew.

First, the uniforms. I know everybody had their opinions and I see Cat fans hating on us and all, but the minute I saw the tops with the pants, I loved them. The Nike rep told me this year's consensus was simple, solid colors with less going on on the unis. He wouldn't tell me all the combos, but he told me the main home uniform will be the old-school maroon top/solid silver pants. The maroon pants will go into the road rotation as well, and there are other uniform combos. He said the players involved in the process all referenced the unis they saw growing up, mostly 2000-2009. An interesting fact about the new unis is, though they are very simple with two colors, maroon and silver, only Montana, Oregon and Oregon State has this exact Pro Combat style this season. The material, composition and exact design of the Griz' unis this season aren't available to most of Nike's schools until 2014 from what I was told. Thought that was pretty cool. Ran into Nate Harris at a gas station after the game and he said it doesn't even feel like they are wearing a true football uni because they are so light and fit so perfectly. He said they are pretty much the coolest thing he's ever worn in athletics.

Also of note from the game. An observation but thought it was interesting. The red-shirts were really trying to keep the student section in check. Not the fun craziness aspect but the taunting of Appy's players, chants and what not. I witnessed a large group of kids filing down behind the redshirts well before the game started and they were chanting FTC (like dumbasses) and a couple of the red-shirts really admonished them. I'm not sure which ones they were cause they were turned around so I couldn't see the names,but one of them yelled at the kids chanting it "We don't do that here." I thought that was really interesting conisdering none of the RS have even been in the rivalry yet. Another group of girls tried to start the chant and again some of the Redshirts turned around and pretty much put a stop to it quickly. I thought that was really cool.

Met Jordan Harper's parents. They were so excited and proud. Very nice people. Also spoke with a ref who said it was a great game to officiate. He said the noise was unlike anything he's ever experienced. He said it was one of best season-openers he's ever worked based on the atmosphere, the teams, and the execution. He said it was one of the cleanest season-openers he's ever seen and he thought both teams were really talented.

Anyway, a lot to digest still from an amazing night, but those were some things I thought I'd share.
I would like to take your Nike guy up to the east side upper deck and challenge him to make out numbers on the contrastless shirts. The previous uni set was bad; these are even worse. But why would you be concerned whether paying fans can make out the numbers from their seats.....

kemajic said:
havgrizfan said:

I would like to take your Nike guy up to the east side upper deck and challenge him to make out numbers on the contrastless shirts. The previous uni set was bad; these are even worse. But why would you be concerned whether paying fans can make out the numbers from their seats.....

Too bad they cannot have contrast control. That way come 2nd half kickoff, they could change it. If the place is packed with fans for kick off, then increase the contrast to appease the fans. If the place is dead and most the fans are still tailgating, then turn the contrast down, until fans asses are in the seats.

It really is bad, and disappointing our fans are not in the seats for 2nd half kickoff. Funny part is, some of those fans are the 1st to bitch about the team not performing, and having high expectations of the team. I doubt it is asking too much of the fans to be back in for 2nd half kickoff. I am sure the players would appreciate it, and it is not asking too much.

About the officials I heard a rumor that the officials we have are going to be like this all the time reason being is this is suppose to be like a platform for them to move up,so if they do well they stay, if they suck they go and someone else takes their place.
I thought you guys only do the FTC chant only when you play us.

bobcatozzy said:
I thought you guys always have a full stadium in the second half.
WaGriz is NEVER full when second half starts. I'm always there, but half the crowd isn't, and it always pisses me off!

...some of thoze people late at halftime...
...deserve game balls..they make long hikes...
...pound a couple beerz/whatever and make it back...
...if they take it away they better put beer gardens inside...

... :cool: ...

bobcatozzy said:
Where have you been? We haven't had a full crowd at the start of the third quarter in....Jesus, maybe 20 years?

Some people see it as a huge problem, but as long as everyone comes back before the 10:00 mark of the third, it doesn't really bother me that much.

mtgrizrule said:
It really is bad, and disappointing our fans are not in the seats for 2nd half kickoff. Funny part is, some of those fans are the 1st to bitch about the team not performing, and having high expectations of the team.
Is this fact or your assumption? I suspect the latter. Nevertheless, I also think it's lame to see all the empty seats at the start of the third quarter. Incidentally, in spite of record attendance, there were numerous empty seats on the west side throughout the game, presumably season ticket holder no-shows. Figure.

The solution is to sell beer in the concessions and forbid reentry. Pretty simple. Personally, I solved the problem with a flask.

uofmman1122 said:
bobcatozzy said:
Where have you been? We haven't had a full crowd at the start of the third quarter in....Jesus, maybe 20 years?

Some people see it as a huge problem, but as long as everyone comes back before the 10:00 mark of the third, it doesn't really bother me that much.
Its a big problem at both Montana schools, no reentry would solve it I guess

kemajic said:
havgrizfan said:

Get better eyes... :D

Sorry. Don't dig the unis. Impossible to read the numbers. Need some serious help with the numerals for contrast, otherwise everything seems washed out. By the middle of the game, with sweat darkening them even more, everything seems, well...dull and drab. And move a bright silver paw back to the side of the helmets. Wow. Is this the best we can do? Thanks for nothing NIKE and others in the uni department.

66volvo said:
Sorry. Don't dig the unis. Impossible to read the numbers. Need some serious help with the numerals for contrast, otherwise everything seems washed out. By the middle of the game, with sweat darkening them even more, everything seems, well...dull and drab. And move a bright silver paw back to the side of the helmets. Wow. Is this the best we can do? Thanks for nothing NIKE and others in the uni department.

FYI, the designs and uniforms are chosen with player feedback. NIKE gave them what they wanted. :thumb:

Back