• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Could Idaho return to the Griz Schedule?

Grizbeer

From an article in today's TNT:

“We want to play a very competitive game against a top Division I program – like next year we play at Michigan State,” Spear said. “In the foreseeable future we’re always going to play Washington State. But we need to be very careful with the other two non-conference games that we’re scheduling. We need to have a mid-tier Division I program like ourselves and maybe a I-AA that can come in so that we’re not playing all these top Pac-10 schools.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/5181110p-4710005c.html
You have to register, so here is the entire article:

Idaho stops scheduling humiliation

DON RUIZ; The News Tribune
Published: September 16th, 2005 12:01 AM
Idaho’s step up into the Western Athletic Conference means the Vandals will appear less often on the Washington Huskies’ schedule.

The game Saturday at Husky Stadium will be the schools’ 38th meeting since 1900. The Huskies hold a 33-2-2 advantage, and Idaho hasn’t won since 1905.

The Vandals’ steady diet of Pacific-10 Conference poundings was the price paid by a program struggling for identity. Now, Idaho thinks those days are over as they begin their first WAC season.

“We are obviously thrilled,” Idaho athletic director Rob Spear said. “We have been searching for some time for a league that will provide us with what I would call geographic integrity. That geographic integrity does several things for us.”

Spear ticked off three:

• Increased fan and booster support. This already has shown up in Idaho fundraising and season-ticket sales. The latter erases a longtime worry about the Vandals’ Division I-A status. This season, the NCAA adjusted attendance minimums for I-A membership to an average of 15,000 paid attendance per game. That number will allow the Vandals to return to their on-campus Kibbie Dome, with no need to play “home” games at Martin Stadium, eight miles west in Pullman.

• Added stability. For the first time since 1996, Idaho has kept its football staff intact. Without WAC membership, coach Nick Holt says he wouldn’t have considered the Idaho job.

“I would not have been interested,” Holt said. “I think it’s an excellent conference. I think it provides us stability, and I think we can grow with the conference … It helps us with recruiting. It has a great reputation, and I think it fits our school perfectly.”

• Attracting better student-athletes.

Spear expects the Vandals to be instantly competitive in non-revenue sports such as women’s basketball, volleyball, track & field, cross country and golf

Football and men’s basketball will take longer, but he thinks early signs are encouraging.

“You watch what Nick has been able to accomplish in one year, how much we’ve improved, and we’re going to continue to get better,” Spear said. “And I really like the direction that our basketball program is going. Eventually we’re going to be a very competitive program in all our sports in the Western Athletic Conference.”

That would mean competing with schools such as Fresno State, Boise State, Hawaii – teams that regularly play in bowls and occasionally leap into the national rankings.

With those kinds of teams dotting the conference schedule, Idaho plans to ease back on its ambitious non-conference scheduling, which has seen the Vandals play in places such as Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Arizona and Auburn for big paydays at the expense of big whippings.

“We want to play a very competitive game against a top Division I program – like next year we play at Michigan State,” Spear said. “In the foreseeable future we’re always going to play Washington State. But we need to be very careful with the other two non-conference games that we’re scheduling. We need to have a mid-tier Division I program like ourselves and maybe a I-AA that can come in so that we’re not playing all these top Pac-10 schools.”

No more games with Washington are scheduled.

That means the winner of the Vandals-Huskies game Saturday at Husky Stadium will likely hold bragging rights through at least the end of the decade.

Injury update

Chad Macklin (knee) is expected to miss the Idaho game, meaning the Huskies will use their third right tackle in three weeks. In week one, Robin Meadow started. In week two, Meadow moved to the left side to cover for the injured Joe Toledo, and Macklin moved in on the right. Now senior Tui Alailefaleula will replace Macklin, who is expected to miss a week or two.

Cornerback Roy Lewis (knee) also is likely to be out Saturday. Junior Josh Okoebor will fill in, with Durrel Moss in reserve.

Willingham on Robinson

Grambling’s arrival to play Washington State on Saturday at Qwest Field reminded UW coach Tyrone Willingham of his first meeting with Eddie Robinson, the winningest coach in major college history (405-165-15).

“I was very fortunate as a ninth grader – it might have been 10th grader – I had an opportunity to attend a camp that he spoke at,” Willingham said. “It was a very nice opportunity to see a living legend.”

As Willingham’s career progressed, he went on to win the Eddie Robinson Coach of Distinction Award in 2000, and the two met occasionally in adulthood.

“The contacts have been limited, but we’ve had a few opportunities to sit and visit,” he said. “But it didn’t take a conversation with Eddie Robinson to say he was impressive. It was what he did, what he’s done, that is impressive. The victories. The institution that he did it at. His longevity. His impact on young people’s lives. All of those are very impressive things that few people will ever match.”

Some 100-year perspective

Here are a few facts about the world in 1905, when Idaho last won a football game against Washington:

• Theodore Roosevelt concluded his first term as president.

• Albert Einstein published his theory of relativity.

• The jukebox was invented.

• Bloody Sunday sparked the Russian Revolution.

• Rotary International was founded.

• The U.S. Forest Service was created.

• Las Vegas, Nev., was founded.

• The Canadian provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan were established.

• Robert Koch won the Nobel Prize in medicine for discovering the cause of tuberculosis.

• Christy Mathewson threw three shutouts as the New York Giants won the World Series over the Philadelphia Athletics.

• Musician Bob Wills, billionaire Howard Hughes, actress Greta Garbo and actor Henry Fonda were born.

• The Wright Brothers were two years beyond their initial flight at Kitty Hawk, N.C.

• The Titanic had not yet sunk – or been built.

Unless Idaho is vastly improved, I don't think Idaho would want the Griz to come and play them. They are still smarting from all the losses over the last 5-6 years... :wink:

I saw on a different board that EWU is supposed to go to Idaho next year, and ISU the year after. Idaho will be a much better team over the next few years than we have seen the last few, and they could always use the sellout that the rivalry and Montana fans would provide.

Idaho IS vastly improved. I know they want to get the body bag games off their schedule, but the Vandals I know are pretty resolute about getting out of the I-AA business, too. The problem is, they can't really afford to bring non-conference I-A's to Moscow, but they will if they keep improving. Rob Akey is a good coach and a great recruiter.
Expect a tuneup with nearby Eastern in the next couple years and not much more than that.

I agree that Idaho is improved, and will continue to improve. Joining the WAC is huge for them, as it would be for the Griz. Idaho won't be a power, but they should be competative this year, and build on that.

Nothing would make me happier than if Idaho beat UW this weekend. And it is a possibility, they played WSU close and the Cougs are better than the Huskies this year.

That would be good to see Idaho beat UW. The only down side to Idaho having a successfull program is they will be even tougher to recruit against. Enough kids go their just because they are I-A as it is, but now that they are in the WAC, and if they start winning some fairly big games here and there, it can only help them in recruiting, and everything else for that matter. But I'd rather see recruits come here than go there.
Beat those pup's anyway vandalettes.

Idaho is already tougher to recruit against. We watched the Vandals/WSU game and were amazed at the number of players who two years ago listed Montana as a school of interest, but now play for Idaho.
I wouldn't think Montana would win many recruits against a hard-nosed guy like Akey, given his ties with USC.
That game with the Cougs would have been much closer if the Vandals hadn't messed around with Harrington at QB. Wychman, the juco transfer QB throwing for them now, is a winner.

True g4l, but I think the I-A is what wins recruits over the most for them. And now add to that the potential they are starting to show.

griz4life said:
Idaho IS vastly improved. I know they want to get the body bag games off their schedule, but the Vandals I know are pretty resolute about getting out of the I-AA business, too. The problem is, they can't really afford to bring non-conference I-A's to Moscow, but they will if they keep improving. Rob Akey is a good coach and a great recruiter.
Expect a tuneup with nearby Eastern in the next couple years and not much more than that.
you could be right gfl, but don't forget that as a I-A with the new rules they also get an extra game per year to bring in a I-AA that will count towards bowl eligibility every year. The rules also make it more difficult for teams like Idaho to schedule big money "body bag" games, because they now I-AA's games count the same as Idaho does, and they will probably go cheaper.

I would guess scheduling a regional I-AA will be a regular fixture on Idaho's schedule unless they get back to a national ranking like Boise State did, and can't afford the SofS hit of a I-AA.

Back