• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bernie Mac dead at age 50

Drew

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-08-09-bernie-mac-obit_N.htm

Wow, way too early to die. Some of his movies were good fun, he'll be missed.

On one of my other boards, a guy made an interesting point. Relatively healthy young guy gets sick and all of a sudden is gone in a nation with great hospitals and doctors who generally know what they're doing. Guy laid the blame for this directly in the laps of HMOs. Given what I've seen in the past with football injuries, I'm inclined to agree.

While I've never been a Bernie Mac fan, I know that he had quite a following and he is gone WAY too soon. I wouldn't wish a death at 50 on ANYBODY. That's way too young.

I wasn't a fan, either, but mostly because I just don't watch TV so I never saw his Fox show.

I just listened to an interview Terri Gross once did with him on Fresh Air while driving down the highway.. Wow, that guy sounded really smart. He was a real student of comedy from what he said. When he was a kid, he said he studied a lot of comedians but gave special emphasis to Don Rickles, Redd Fox, Richard Pryor, and Steve Allen. Esp. Rickles from what he said. That surprised me because Rickles made so many racial jokes.

He also talked about the Rat Pack (he was in Oceans 11, 12 & 13), and he'd apparently studied them too. Gross asked him one question about the Rat Pack and Bernie Mac went into a long answer about how Frank Sinatra was overrated and how he thought so many other singers were probably a little better, specifically Dean Martin, Mel Torme and Perry Como.

Very interesting conversation and now I wish I'd paid more attention to his work. I guess he stars in a movie called Soul Man that is coming out soon. I'll have to go see it (esp. since Isaac Hayes also is in it and also just died).

SuperHornet said:
On one of my other boards, a guy made an interesting point. Relatively healthy young guy gets sick and all of a sudden is gone in a nation with great hospitals and doctors who generally know what they're doing. Guy laid the blame for this directly in the laps of HMOs. Given what I've seen in the past with football injuries, I'm inclined to agree.

While I've never been a Bernie Mac fan, I know that he had quite a following and he is gone WAY too soon. I wouldn't wish a death at 50 on ANYBODY. That's way too young.

Bernie Mac, a funny, funny man! I got his humor... :lol:

I really briefly saw on a tv news program (after his death) where he wasn't a relatively healthy man...don't remember exactly what his chronic problem(s) were, but there a couple problems (maybe one of them giving him trouble was his lungs?)...don't remember with good clairfication though, so I dunno.

Either way, he was way to young and I will miss his comedy.

Latest posts

Back