• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

My thoughts on the 2009 team coming out of fall camp

BWahlberg

DONOR
Last year I posted my overall thoughts, and thought I'd share the same. However my views this time around aren't going to be as stong, considering I missed the last week and the two real game situations, I don't feel as "in the know" with these statements as I did last year.

I'll do the offense this eveing, defense tomorrow:

QB: Our QB situation is good, real good. I do believe that Selle will be the starter until he proves he does not deserve it, his familiarity with the system, and the WRs shows that he's the best fit as a passer and as a game manager. Selle will not be a rushing QB, he can run, but he isn't shifty. His passing skill set is very good, I've seen him make all of the throws, and recover from bone-headed passes too. Roper has seemed to have vastly narrow the gap since I left town though. When I left he was good some days, and bad the others, not totally in-tune with his WRs at times. Getting back and hearing reports of last week Roper has settled down nicely, and his arm strength could be the best on the team. In addition to a cannon arm, he's mobile, and can make guys miss. Kemp is going to be an amazing QB once he gets onto the field as a starter, he's shown he has the feet for a great QB in our system, and as he gets more dialed in on the passing game he'll be a dual threat. At this point, I'd really like to see him get reps in a spread-option set, I wonder if he'll get a chance, I think he deserves it - getting him live game experiences now will really benefit once this is his team in 2010 or 2011.

RB: Well we've got Chase, everyone knows that. TBF has really improved with his pass catching and ball carrying, he's a powerful runner and will be a good 3rd down/change of pace back. TBF is the now guy, and Dan Moore is the future. Moore will get looks this year, possibly as a goal-line guy, next year he'll be the feature power back in our system. In addition to these three guys we've got good potential that probably won't be major contributors but in the future they could be the next big stars. Tel is much like his brother, and Nguyen has really shown his speed and shiftyness this fall. Nguyen I think could come out for some sets this season he could be one of the big surprise guys Bobby referenced earlier. Donaldson is another guy that's mix between an HB and FB, he could turn into our next Kevin Klaboe, a talented blocker and a good pass catcher/runner.

WR: Mariani will get the best defenders, and probably the most coverage from defenses this season. That will open up the opportunities for Ty Palmer, Jabin Sambrano, and Sam Gratton. I believe these four guys will be our main dudes catching the ball. Palmer is faster than most think and will surprise defenses who match him up with slower and taller DBs. Sambrano is lighting quick, probably our next LV in the making, shifty, good hands, very smart on the field. Jabin is Roper's favorite target and the other day when Selle got reps with the 2s he was also Selle's favorite as well. Jabin is currently listed as the starting slot WR, and I think he's going to make big noise this year. Gratton is coming on, and also rotates in and out with the 1s, he's quick but needs to work on his catching as I've seen him having issues at times with drops, and then other times making great catches. It's a bummer Roberts went down, but he wasn't probably going to be a major contributor, hopefully he can come back next year healthy and be ready to grab one of the starting roles. Buckles, Smith, and Carver are still working their way up but will also need to be ready to fill gaps in need be. Larson I think will not be a huge numbers guy, but he presents so many different opportunities on the field, he's a great athlete, good at catching, and can prove that he takes hits. He'll be a part of the offense this year, I think by October once he's more comfortable in live games he'll become a bigger factor.

TE: Pfahler will lead the charge, he's the best balanced TE we have. Bobby and crew love a TE that blocks first and catches passes second, Pfahler, Beaudin, and Overton all fit in the category. Unless I'm mistaken, I think Beaudin is dinged up again, and that will just open the door for Overton to get more time on the field. The TE spot is talented however as we know it'll never be a spot with guys that have hundreds and hundreds of yards and double digit TDs on the season. Greg Hardy is an execption to the corps we have, he's quicker, and he's the best receiving guy in the group. Being 4th in the depth we won't see him much at TE, but possibly as a slot WR, the thought of Hardy being guarded by a saftey has to make the coaches smile, he can make DBs look pretty bad in pass coverage.

Oline: In watching yesterday I was really happy to see that depth appears to be coming about. Our starting 5 are very solid players, Horn and Dyk on the edges are very athletic and strong. Opperud and Hillesland at guard are big and strong guys that pave the road really well. Verlanic as our center is consistent with shotgun snaps and is good at pushing DTs/NTs back all on his own. Behind these guys I was impressed yesterday by our two backup tackles, Soph David Arndt especially, he seems to be much more comfy in his position than he did in the spring, and is awfully quick to contain speedy DEs. The true frosh Hoffman on the other side has made big strides since he started out a month ago, a capable backup and I think starting next year he'll be a starting tackle for the rest of his Griz career. Piette and Burton as the two guard backups are BIG guys, and great in the running game, they need to become more agile in pass protection, but it's good to see them progress. And LeBeau at backup center has seemed to have smoothed out the shotgun snap issues and is settling into his role

----------------------------

Concerns I see, naturally I continually worry about depth, and while it's progressing if we lose 2-3 guys at WR or Oline things could change rapidly for how efficient this offense is. However I'm sure that would be an issue almost all teams in the Big Sky would have. Hopefully our newer guys on the Oline can step up, Opperud has a lot riding on his shoulders, as does Dyk as the sole starter and Verlanic too. Also, if called upon guys like Burton, Arndt, and Piette will need to come in and play lights out to keep this offense a well-oiled machine. WR drops are a slight concern, I haven't seen much from the "front 3" but behind them there's been ups and downs. RBs need to improve picking up blitzes as a unit, they're ok but need to be great, especially once conference play comes around. I fear our TE talent will once again be under-utilitized in the passing game. Also with Selle as the starting QB, defenses will not have to spy the QB as much as they did with Bergquist, that will change defensive schemes and have 1 more guy on defense more committed to defending the pass, hopefully that's recognized and prepared for.

Overall this offense has the right tools to be a good balanced attack with a star running back, star WR, and a smart starting QB. I like the roster and the group, we've got speedy guys, strong guys, and a lot of veterans mixed with young guys. This fall I've seen more passes to the HB, more screens, and newer sets that show a contiually evolving offense, which is good. This offense has the potential to come into this season as a more balanced unit, and should be able to do much more on the field than last years, the question remains is can they do it once the season starts... time will tell.

Great job as always ReMax... much appreciated by all of us... especially the out of staters....really looking forward to reading about the defense tomorrow!

Thanks Re/Max---solid stuff. My biggest concern is with the o-line. With the personnel changes from last year, it will probably take some time for the group to really start working together. The individual pieces are there, but how long will it take for the group to learn to work as a unit? In the past we have had issues with pass protection, so it will be instructive to see how much time Selle/Roper are getting in the pocket. Let's hope this o-line makes the transition to an effective unit in a hurry---- as usual, the guys who put their knuckles on the ground, determine a lot of what the rest of the offense is able to do.

As long as Selle is the starting quarterback the TEs will see more balls than they have in years past, mark my words.

Great post, Re/Max! Thanks!
OLine has the Nervous Nellie in me worried, but I'm eager to see how the unit does!

Go Griz!

Whoops posted my defense thoughts in the wrong thread:

----

OK, and in regards to the defense side:

Dline: Posted my thoughts on DE above, we're really deep at DE, I don't think we'll have a 1 guy at DE this year that will get double digit sacks mainly b/c the Dline will spread things around. Jace Palmer might be the only guy that will be out there enough to get the opportunity, and he's talented enough to do so. Mercer, Harris, Campbell, Alt, & Fetherston will all see the field a lot, I think opposing Oline coaches are going to have a tough time game-planning for such a group. Naturally the concern that rises is only one of our DEs in this mix is over 250 pounds (Alt) the rest are a bit lighter and quicker, could work well against most passing and balanced teams, but rushing teams could have fun pushing our guys around. DT is also looking like it's developed nicely though the off-season Hobbs is a beast in the middle, and with a healthy Bender back these two will disrupt the middle a lot. Add in the only senior at DT Mettler as a split-starter and you've got 3 guys that would start on any other roster. Behind them Hutter and Waldhauser have had their moments, but I've been the most impressed by Braydon Schilling who is a big dude and a load to push around, reminds me a lot of watching big Alan Saenz out there. Our D line this year is very deep and talented, and after this season all but Palmer, Mercer, and Mettler return.

LB: I like our LB corps a lot, most of the play makers from last year return. Beef (Lebsock) in the middle is a force to be reconed with, and assuming Fisher isn't bugged by a nagging injury he'll be good again too. Shaw has stepped up as the starter at Will and has shown his athletic ability makes him a good outside back, he's had breakdowns in coverage from time to time so look to see more rotation there than anywhere else. Stuberg & McSurdy started showing their skill in the spring, and carried it through, they're going to be out there a lot as well I bet. The potential players beyond those guys is promising, Tripp, Timmer, Lockwood, and Coyle have all had good fall camps, they'll play this year too and next year will be in the running for starting spots.

CB: All of our corners returned from last year, I think if healthy our CBs will be good enough to leave in single-man coverage more. The big question though is health. TJ is returning from his knee injury late last season, Swink as reported has a bad hammy, Thompson was in red last week (not sure why). Those three are the best skilled CBs we have, we'll need them healthy and up to speed. Beyond them Donny Lisowski is making big strides and Brandon Dodson has had some flashes of excellent play as well. Sean Murray a true frosh is also getting looks to play this season, he's good in close coverage but when required to stretch the field and hang with speedy guys like Mariani or Sambrano he's a little rough there.

SS/FS: Safety will be an interesting transition with the loss of Colt. Schann Schillinger and Erik Stoll are the starters, Stoll appears to be back after missing a large portion of fall camp, he's looking very good in coverage. We all know Schann is a smart player out there and should continue to have a successful Griz career. Beyond them Mike Cummings has really stepped up his game, he could be a special-teams stand out this year and will get time at safety as well. Mike McCord is settling into his role and is looking much better than he did in the spring, and look for true frosh Clay Pierson and senior Tim Anderson to also get some reps as well.

Returners: Mariani and Sambrano will be a very talented combo. Jabin showed he's become much more comfortable in the return game, as that confidence grows I think he'll punish some teams on returns this year.

Kicker/Punter: Honestly guys I've not seen McKnight or Schey kick a single fieldgoal and I've only seen Wren punt once. I've heard good things that McKnight's added power and accuracy and that Wren can boot the snot off the ball, so thats a good thing.

---------------------------------

Challenges I see is that a lot of positions have younger players backing up the starters, Safety, Corner, Linebacker mainly. Younger guys can step up and play just as well, however they lack as much in-game experience as many of our upper-classmen. We've seen frosh and soph step up and play well in prior years, so I don't doubt the coaches choices of using a lot of younger guys, hopefully it all works out. As I stated the lack of a heavy run-stuffer at DE is a concern, but who knows if it's a big deal or not, if our corps of DEs can get around the tackles and make stops then it's no biggie. Hopefully our dinged up guys from fall camp are ready to go, defense has seen a lot of guys in red, so getting them back healthy and ready will be very important. I'm not sure who the on-field leaders are this year, could be Beef or Fisher, the loss of Colt as the field general and leader could affect this unit as a whole, but I'd like to think in the natural progression of things another on-field leader has stepped up.

The defense has the tools and talent to be a good shut-down defense, they're build really well for conference play and match up good against balanced and pass-heavy teams. We've got a lot of returning talent on our defense and don't have any glaring holes on the depth chart. Once again this year the coaches are going more with speed and athleticisim (much like last year) as compared to having bigger and stronger guys from years past, it paid off pretty well last year, lets hope it does the same this year!

Re/Max I get a chuckle out of your spelling of Shann Schillinger---- becomes Schann. I like that, it keeps it simple :)

grizfromhel said:
Re/Max I get a chuckle out of your spelling of Shann Schillinger---- becomes Schann. I like that, it keeps it simple :)

I'm a bad speller of names, I've even got emails from parents or friends of players saying I'm spelling their kids name wrong, lol. It's easier to just go with first names or nick names, haha.

I don't think spelling on message boards is that big of a deal, until it comes to names. I know I don't like it when someone misspells my name, and I know players DO read eGriz and I can't imagine they like it either. Bergquist was here 5 years and I'll bet 1/3 of the posters on eGriz still misspell his name to this day. Biermann is another name that just kicks posters azzes. I would be 20% of posters still misspell Hauck, and he has been here for 7 years. Featherston and Pierson are two of the leading candidates to have their names butchered for the next few years.

Great report, thanks Remax. The only question I have is...It appears you state that Mettler is the only senior at DT. Didn't Mettler graduate, or am I reading what you're saying wrong? I think we in better shape than we were with Mettler, Hobbs was sweet last year before he went down w/ injury, and Bender is a beast. Both have are much heavier than mettler.

a previous post suggested that "Mettler" was really Mullins. Re/Max can't get everything right---particularly when he's been on vacation !!! It's great to have his reports back though.

grizfromhel said:
Hammer, you just diddled "Featherston"---- it's Fetherston.

If it is Fetherston then the official roster and last years media guide have it spelled wrong.

I see special teams improvment being key to becoming a better team this year (maybe more important than the offense or the defense). I thought our special teams (mainly our kicking game) killed us in some games last season. Before the title game I remember some of our kickoffs only making it to the 20 so we gave up a lot of field position-we finally resorted to squib kicking it which really didn't work either. Against Richmond, I remember the broadcast guys going nuts when we did this (I don't think they knew our kicker could only kick it to the 20 :) ). We have a brand new punter (can't remember his name) and a 2nd year kicker in McKnight that really struggled last season. It will be a HUGE load off our defense this year if we can kick the ball a little deeper and make teams get an extra first down to score on us (make em start from the 25 instead of the 35 or 40 like last season). As for field goals, it is nice to have a guy that can knock em through but I prefer it when we go for touchdowns. This worked out pretty well for us last year in a few games after we figured out we could not make a field goal to save our lives (wish they wouldn't have attempted field goal against Richmond however). Being able to make field goals in close games could win or lose the contest-we were lucky we were not in this situation late last season. Hopfully Mcknight will have a breakout year and kick some ass out there I think this will be the case.

grizfromhel said:
Hammer, you just diddled "Featherston"---- it's Fetherston.

Ok, I stand corrected. But the 08 Media guide does have it spelled Featherston. Thanks for setting me straight.

grizaremoregooder said:
I see special teams improvment being key to becoming a better team this year (maybe more important than the offense or the defense). I thought our special teams (mainly our kicking game) killed us in some games last season. Before the title game I remember some of our kickoffs only making it to the 20 so we gave up a lot of field position-we finally resorted to squib kicking it which really didn't work either. Against Richmond, I remember the broadcast guys going nuts when we did this (I don't think they knew our kicker could only kick it to the 20 :) ). We have a brand new punter (can't remember his name) and a 2nd year kicker in McKnight that really struggled last season. It will be a HUGE load off our defense this year if we can kick the ball a little deeper and make teams get an extra first down to score on us (make em start from the 25 instead of the 35 or 40 like last season). As for field goals, it is nice to have a guy that can knock em through but I prefer it when we go for touchdowns. This worked out pretty well for us last year in a few games after we figured out we could not make a field goal to save our lives (wish they wouldn't have attempted field goal against Richmond however). Being able to make field goals in close games could win or lose the contest-we were lucky we were not in this situation late last season. Hopfully Mcknight will have a breakout year and kick some ass out there I think this will be the case.

Good points, Wren (our punter) comes in with prior experience as a very good punter, I'm not incredibly worried about him considering what he's accomplished in his JuCo career.

As for McNight, your point is well taken, a turnover on downs on the defense 35 vs a made field goal goes a long way in closer games. I really think McNight will be better and stronger, as Griz fans we get spoiled on kickers b/c we have the same guy for 4 years kicking the ball. Carps his first year wasn't even powerful enough to do kickoffs unless when the team travelled b/c Bobby didn't want to take two kickers on the road. Snyder was powerful but as I recall horribly inaccurate, and I can't even recall Heppener as a frosh, that was 1996! (Not even sure if he kicked back then). The fact is we forget that most of our frosh kickers are inconsistant but settle down, I'm hoping the best for Brody and if it doesn't work for him then for Russ Schey - I'm optimistic we'll be much better at kicking.

ok dan moore is our future what has he done for the griz that makes him the future? I have seen him practice and he cant stay on his feet.. make him prove himself first...

grizbaby said:
ok dan moore is our future what has he done for the griz that makes him the future? I have seen him practice and he cant stay on his feet.. make him prove himself first...

Hmm, I've seen him stay on his feet plenty fine. Just wait, not this year probably with Chase and TBF out there but next year he'll really stand out. He's powerful, a good ball handler, good at catching the ball, and a tenacious runner.

Re/MaxGriz said:
grizbaby said:

Hmm, I've seen him stay on his feet plenty fine. Just wait, not this year probably with Chase and TBF out there but next year he'll really stand out. He's powerful, a good ball handler, good at catching the ball, and a tenacious runner.

I like Moore alot. He could have four more years if he can graduate like Van Cooper Jr. did.

Re/MaxGriz said:
grizbaby said:

I agree, I'm looking forward to seeing Moore this season

Latest posts

Back