• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Official Don Read BLVD Support

chris

Administrator
Staff member
eGriz Club
Our eGriz.com member WopGriz has submitted this idea to the University. If you like the following idea, please make a post in this thread showing your support! I for one think it is an excellent idea!

WopGriz said:
Dear Mr. President George Dennison. My name is Scott and I have been a resident of Missoula since 1984. During my years in this great town I have enjoyed watching our beloved Grizzly Athletic teams. We are very fortunate to have had such great success and support for our teams. Griz football has been our biggest draw and continues to be one of the greatest programs in the county. Of course when I moved here with my family football was kind of an after thought. Basketball was the dominant sport here in Missoula. However two monumental things changed the state of Griz football from ordinary to extraordinary. The first being the construction of Washington-Grizzly Stadium, and the second was the hiring of coach Don Read. Coach Read built us into a national powerhouse, and helped to advance the program to heights that we never imagined. In his tenure here he never had a losing season even though he took over for a losing program, and never once lost to the Bobcats. Oh and you might have heard that he led us to a National Championship with some quarterback named Dickenson.

In lieu of all this I am asking that the University permanently name the road around the stadium Don Read Boulevard in honor of this great coaching legend. This is a tradition in many other parts of the country and I feel it is time that we celebrate this great custom. I know that fans would really enjoy this and it would be a great opprotunity for some great press for the University of Montana and it's football program.

Responses from Bobby Hauck and President Dennison...

Bobby Hauck said:
I think that’s a great idea -- something done in honor of Coach Read’s service to this university would be a great idea. Thanks for going to work on Coach Read’s behalf.

Go Griz!

-Bobby Hauck

President Dennison said:
I am writing on behalf of President Dennison to thank you for the suggestion to create “Don Read Boulevard” here on campus. The President asked me to let you know that he too is a great admirer of Coach Read and all he did for the football program and Grizzly Athletics. We will pursue the possibility expressed in your message below.

Sincerely,
Cathleen

Cathleen Collins ~ Assistant to the President

Great idea! It's a great tribute to a great coach.

I can still remember the entire Red Dog Saloon in Libby going wild when they won the championship game in 1995.

Wow, thanks for writing that letter!

I think his name should go on the stadium, but the road is a good idea, too. I hope they do it! Keep us posted on what we need to do to help make it happen!

Here is the response I received from Mayor Engen's office.

Good Morning Scott,

I am following up on your request on Mayor Engen's behalf.

The mayor suggests you speak to Jim Foley about your proposed street name change. If the University is supportive, a City Council process would be followed to formally change the street name. We believe you are referring to Campus Drive, which is a private road owned by the University. One step of the process will be to gather signatures on a petition with at least 51% of the adjacent property owners agreeing to change the street name which shouldn't pose a problem given the University owns Campus Drive.

Once the University is onboard, and you are ready to go forward, contact Dan or Eric in the Engineering Division to learn the details and obtain the necessary paperwork required to change the street's name. Dan or Eric can be reached by calling 552-6345.

Thanks for bringing this proposal forward.

Regards,

Linda Jordan

Administrative Services Project Manager
Mayor's Office
City of Missoula
406.327.2102 (fax)

City of Missoula Transparent

If anybody has any idea's or has drafted official petitions before let me know so we can do this the right way. I did email this to the Presidents office and will update when I receive a response.

Yep - I'm on board!!! Nothing could be more fitting!!! What a Great honor for a Great Coach!!!

I was contacted by Chelsea Moi of the Missoulian today. She wanted to interview me because she said that she is writing an article about changing the name of campus drive to Don Read Blvd. She said that it will be in this Saturday's paper. She said that when she contacted the University they said that they are moving forward on this. It has President Dennison's full support and just needs the okay of a University committee. The University expects no resistance there and will then file the paperwork to the city to get the named changed. Ms. Moi said that she contacted coach Read and told him about the proposal. He said that he was surprised but honored. So hopefully we will see this change before the season ends.

Back