• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EASTERN FCS teams looking to form FB only FBS league

billings_poke

Posted on a CUSA board and appearently from a Radio station in North Carolina

"In Norfolk today on 94.1 today, ODU's AD Wood Selig stated that he was in a meeting with other FCS teams in NYC to investigate the formation of a new FBS football only conference. This rumor matches that App St was looking into a FBS regional conference. I think JMU, ODU, W&M, FIU or FAU, and App. State were mentioned. It could be something like this group, I think this represent 5 of the top 6 FCS schools in attendance and a couple of nice markets.

The new East Coast Conference (FBS Football Only)

Va Partners
1. ODU 2. JMU

Carolina Partners
3. App State 4. Charlotte

Georgia Partners
5. Georgia State 6. Georgia Southern

Florida Partners
7. Florida International 8. Florida Atlantic

MD/DE Partners
9. Delaware 10. Towson (or Navy)

Tie ins to:
Military Bowl - Washington DC
Belk Bowl - Charlotte, NC"

100%GRIZ said:
WaGriz4life said:
This would be D-Day for the FCS
Well I guess it is time to move on then!

If this happens, it would likely push me from the "on the fence" crowd into the "move up" crowd. With Umass already moving up and Nova talking about it. These teams going up also would totally deflate the competion in the FCS.

live4dagriz said:
100%GRIZ said:
WaGriz4life said:
This would be D-Day for the FCS
Well I guess it is time to move on then!

If this happens, it would likely push me from the "on the fence" crowd into the "move up" crowd. With Umass already moving up and Nova talking about it. These teams going up also would totally deflate the competion in the FCS.

There's always Sam Houston State. :cool: :cool:

Interesting given the article recently by one of the sites covering FCS football about the shift of power to the WEST in FCS...maybe these teams just see the writing on the wall...

Apparently the conference will be known as the CFR -- Cannon Fodder & Regret. This is a sub-WAC conference with no traction. A tie-in to the Military Bowl? ARE YOU FRIGGING KIDDING ME? I think the more traditional one-at-a-time move-up strategy makes a lot more sense than this, and I'm guessing that these schools lack the financial and inter-collegiate freight to just create a new FBS conference whole cloth. Maybe we should just take the Big Sky, rename it the "Awesome Conference" and resurrect the No One Else Would Take Us Bowl (f/k/a Raisin Bowl) for our tie-in.

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Stop the madness.

Okay, here is a stupid question???? What is the point to being FBS in only football. If you go FBS in football and add your additional scholarships for the football team you have to incure the costs to add the same in womens scholarships and related addtional women's program.

84GRIZ said:
Okay, here is a stupid question???? What is the point to being FBS in only football. If you go FBS in football and add your additional scholarships for the football team you have to incure the costs to add the same in womens scholarships and related addtional women's program.
why insert sanity?

84GRIZ said:

They wouldn't be FBS only in football. All of those teams already are Division 1 in Basketball too.

ODU - (CAA)
JMU - (CAA)
APP ST (Southern)
Charlotte (A10)
Georgia State (CAA)
Georgia Southern (Southern)
Florida International (Sun Belt)
Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt)
Delaware (CAA)
Towson (CAA)

So forming a football only conference would allow some of them to keep their current conference affiliations in other sports like basketball.

Have to wonder though if those teams jumped from the CAA in football if the CAA would become a basketball only conference or something... Losing ODU would hurt the CAA for basketball, but they'd still have George Mason and VCU..

Potomac Griz said:
84GRIZ said:

They wouldn't be FBS only in football. All of those teams already are Division 1 in Basketball too.

ODU - (CAA)
JMU - (CAA)
APP ST (Southern)
Charlotte (A10)
Georgia State (CAA)
Georgia Southern (Southern)
Florida International (Sun Belt)
Florida Atlantic (Sun Belt)
Delaware (CAA)
Towson (CAA)

So forming a football only conference would allow some of them to keep their current conference affiliations in other sports like basketball.

Have to wonder though if those teams jumped from the CAA in football if the CAA would become a basketball only conference or something... Losing ODU would hurt the CAA for basketball, but they'd still have George Mason and VCU..
I might be wrong but there is no sub-division for B-Ball...?

No, you are correct, but the perception is that all sports are 1AA given the strength of football.

I wonder how many Big Sky teams would be willing to join a western version if it came to that. Montana and MSU-Bozeman would. Portland State and Sacramento State have talked about going to the FBS but may not be in the position to pull it off financially.

This is all just chatter because under current NCAA by-laws it cannot happen. Only existing FBS leagues have the ability to exist. Now an antitrust lawsuit could change things considerably. This idea has been discussed extensively for years. The East Coast is the only area without a low level FBS conference. That's why there is such a power base in the CAA. There are really low level FBS programs trapped by FCS affiliation who have no real options.

The most common groupings that I have heard have included the followign schools that have openly stated their FBS intentions:

JMU
ODU
Liberty
Appy
Charlotte
Georgia Southern

Then of course come the schools likely to have an interest outside the above footprint including Delaware & Jacksonville State. Towson doesn't have any realistic chance of moving up from a resources or support basis. The two Florida schools are likely to be the first two targets of C-USA when they decide to expand.

Sly Fox said:
This is all just chatter because under current NCAA by-laws it cannot happen. Only existing FBS leagues have the ability to exist.

One loophole to this would be if they all moved up and declared themselves independent but played each other anyway. In that case, they would still need to negotiate separate TV and bowl arrangements, at least publicly.

Sly Fox said:
This is all just chatter because under current NCAA by-laws it cannot happen. Only existing FBS leagues have the ability to exist. . .

This is consistent with one of the many recent discussions here about this, where somebody quoted the NCAA reg that says you have to have an existing FBS conference to go to. In effect, you have to have not just one well-established FBS "sponsor" but a whole conference worth of FBS "sponsors." This is why, even if we could get the rest our conference on board with the increased costs, the Big Sky couldn't suddenly proclaim itself to be FBS.

Back