Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Grizzly Basketball and Big Sky Conference Hoops
flatheadedgriz
Walk On
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by flatheadedgriz » Thu May 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Thank God we got some size!! https://twitter.com/FrankGogola/status/ ... 0940845057

flatheadedgriz
Walk On
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie

Post by flatheadedgriz » Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Ps The man bun has got to go.

User avatar
MissoulaMarinerFan
Starter
Posts: 2554
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 am

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie

Post by MissoulaMarinerFan » Thu May 17, 2018 6:59 pm

flatheadedgriz wrote:Ps The man bun has got to go.
I dunno, it'll fit right in on campus! Image

flatheadedgriz
Walk On
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie

Post by flatheadedgriz » Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 pm

Sadly you are right. God I hate those things.

DPGriz
4th String
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 am
I am a fan of: Griz

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie

Post by DPGriz » Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 pm

We've had some success with Australian recruits lately so hopefully that pipeline pays dividends again. Interested to see what direction we go with that last scholly.

HookedonGriz
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 5229
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm
I am a fan of: University of Montana

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by HookedonGriz » Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Moves pretty good for a big guy. I like his vision on some of his passes coming off pick and rolls. I think this could be a good pick up

rosco
Walk On
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:27 pm
I am a fan of: Griz
Location: Gilbert

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by rosco » Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Watched the highlights a number of time and I think the man bun is fine, the size is a good thing, but just not seeing D1.

User avatar
GrizWhiz
Starter
Posts: 3260
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by GrizWhiz » Thu May 17, 2018 8:15 pm

HookedonGriz wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 pm
Moves pretty good for a big guy. I like his vision on some of his passes coming off pick and rolls. I think this could be a good pick up
The young man looks quite skilled and is a good passer. His Aussie stats show he is a very good rebounder but needs work on free throw shooting. I am glad he is going to be a Griz. :thumb:

flatheadedgriz
Walk On
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by flatheadedgriz » Thu May 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Who changed the title of the post? That is not what I put.

HookedonGriz
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 5229
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm
I am a fan of: University of Montana

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by HookedonGriz » Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 pm

flatheadedgriz wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:44 pm
Who changed the title of the post? That is not what I put.
I blame Payton.

citay
Starter
Posts: 1605
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:07 pm
I am a fan of: montana

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by citay » Thu May 17, 2018 10:44 pm

Kudos to our staff. It was worth the wait. Let me count the ways.
1. Size! Nuff said. Not only height, but bulk. I agree with others here, he could stand to lose 20 pounds and chisel that frame (hello Champions Center.) But for all the changes in basketball, I still think center is the second most important position on the court, after point guard, because you can't score if if you can't rebound. This kids looks to have some athleticism and will set some wicked picks. Question is, will he contribute anything next year. We sure could use him, but balance that against the fact bigs often need more time to develop. We'll see.
2. Surprise! I told you our next signee would be off the radar screen--just didn't realize it would be this far off. But that's this staff. Player procurement is of high importance in any sport at any level, and this staff has a knack for finding the kids who are D1 talents but just below the radar screen, even Mslacat's! Remember the coach at Vandy who told Oguine he was not a D1 talent? Or Egun, whose light recruitment remains a mystery to me? As for young Mr.Carter, a 6'10" kid with his talent would be a tough get for us if he were from an American high school. Sure, any recruit is a gamble, but I think our staff has once again found a gem.
3. Australia! So happy to re-establish that pipeline. St. Mary's has built a franchise on Australian kids, who are now popping up in programs throughout the country. They're generally well-schooled, and don't back down from anybody--a la Andrew Bogut, one of the toughest guys to take the court, and the Warriors's enforcer through their early years of their success.
4. Krslovic! Was this his final assist? Can't believe he didn't play a major role here. If so, what a great gift to his alma mater.
5. Name! Ben Carter--sounds like a gunslinger. Get ready for some major shootouts.

mtgrizfankb
Starter
Posts: 2153
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by mtgrizfankb » Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 pm

Really really good get. This guy moves his feet. He can hedge well, which is what Fab did so well. He can shoot and I love that he gets rid of the ball when he gets it in the post. That’s what kills us some times down low is holding the ball. If you have the corner...go up. The kid might see PT this year although he would really do well as a RS. Impressed with this find
Griz Nation. Loud Proud and Maroon.

casewinter13
3rd String
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:20 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by casewinter13 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:07 am

rosco wrote:Watched the highlights a number of time and I think the man bun is fine, the size is a good thing, but just not seeing D1.
Thank fucking God you aren't involved in our recruiting efforts. He's a taller, slightly more skilled Krutwig from Loyola Chicago.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk


casewinter13
3rd String
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:20 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by casewinter13 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:08 am

Well said Image
mtgrizfankb wrote:Really really good get. This guy moves his feet. He can hedge well, which is what Fab did so well. He can shoot and I love that he gets rid of the ball when he gets it in the post. That’s what kills us some times down low is holding the ball. If you have the corner...go up. The kid might see PT this year although he would really do well as a RS. Impressed with this find
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk


dayday
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm
I am a fan of: Griz and Zags

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by dayday » Fri May 18, 2018 6:43 am

casewinter13 wrote:
rosco wrote:Watched the highlights a number of time and I think the man bun is fine, the size is a good thing, but just not seeing D1.
Thank f***[*] God you aren't involved in our recruiting efforts. He's a taller, slightly more skilled Krutwig from Loyola Chicago.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
He does kind of remind of Krutwig at least offensively. He has good touch and knows how to position his big body in the post. Not sure if he can consistently knock it down from 3, his highlights of him making one or two could be fools gold or could be a sign. His biggest problem is going to be defensively. I question his athleticism and ability to move his feet on switches. Ideally you would like to redshirt this kid to get him into your training program. He needs to lose a little weight but can’t teach size. If are able to redshirt him and Anderson that would amazing as both are great developmental pieces but I think one of them is going to have to play unless Peter Jones is able to contribute instead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Dillon
2nd String
Posts: 531
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:52 pm
I am a fan of: Griz

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by Dillon » Fri May 18, 2018 7:35 am

Welcome to Griz Nation Mr. Carter!

flatheadgriz406
4th String
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:01 am
I am a fan of: Griz

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by flatheadgriz406 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 am

The comparison is easy being an Australian. Man, he seems like a Fab 2.0. Not over athletic but super smart and does all the little things. I could see him having to play this year just like Fab did as a Freshman. Not Ideal but based on need/lack of depth. He

rosco
Walk On
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:27 pm
I am a fan of: Griz
Location: Gilbert

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by rosco » Fri May 18, 2018 9:01 am

casewinter13 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:07 am
wrote:
Thank f***[*] God you aren't involved in our recruiting efforts. He's a taller, slightly more skilled Krutwig from Loyola Chicago.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
So you must be the team recruiting expert. Apparently only POSITIVE comments wanted, not real opinions.

casewinter13
3rd String
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:20 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by casewinter13 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 am

dayday wrote:
casewinter13 wrote:
rosco wrote:Watched the highlights a number of time and I think the man bun is fine, the size is a good thing, but just not seeing D1.
Thank f***[*] God you aren't involved in our recruiting efforts. He's a taller, slightly more skilled Krutwig from Loyola Chicago.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
He does kind of remind of Krutwig at least offensively. He has good touch and knows how to position his big body in the post. Not sure if he can consistently knock it down from 3, his highlights of him making one or two could be fools gold or could be a sign. His biggest problem is going to be defensively. I question his athleticism and ability to move his feet on switches. Ideally you would like to redshirt this kid to get him into your training program. He needs to lose a little weight but can’t teach size. If are able to redshirt him and Anderson that would amazing as both are great developmental pieces but I think one of them is going to have to play unless Peter Jones is able to contribute instead.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I obviously didn't follow him over an entire season but I've seen 3 different scouting reports that all said he has range out to 21 feet and that he is deadly in pick and pop and pick n roll, so apparently hasn't been fools good up to this point. As for defensively, he definitely needs to reshape his body, but if you don't think he has good feet, you're just not watching. He actually has very good feet and decent lateral quickness for a guy that size/shape. His hangups defensively are his conditioning and simply carrying 15+ lbs he doesn't need, not lack of feet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk


casewinter13
3rd String
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:20 pm
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie C- Ben Carter Signs

Post by casewinter13 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:46 am

For this team? No... Opinions grounded in reality and knowledge always appreciated, whether positive or negative. I don't go on sites critiquing electricians and share my wildly uninformed opinion. Knowing your limitations is a good thing Image By the way, no one is stifling your right to an opinion, you're just being called out because you clearly don't evaluate basketball players well. I'm just sharing my opinion of your opinion, it's not personal :)
rosco wrote:
casewinter13 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:07 am
wrote:
Thank f***[*] God you aren't involved in our recruiting efforts. He's a taller, slightly more skilled Krutwig from Loyola Chicago.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
So you must be the team recruiting expert. Apparently only POSITIVE comments wanted, not real opinions.
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk


Post Reply