• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Grizzly Softball @ UNLV Desert Classic (2-17 to 2-19)

IDK much about the quality of opponents they've played so far, but 0-10 is completely unacceptable. IDK if there's enough fan support to put pressure on Haslam to make a change at head coach like there is for Football and Basketball, but Meuchel's gotta go! I think we as fans and boosters (some of us) need to start contacting Haslam about how we feel about the state of the Softball program. In one of the rising college sports, we're completely irrelevant and that needs to change!

These are the final RPI numbers for the Big Sky last season. There are 301 division 1 teams. Griz ranked 218. That’s a pretty soft schedule with not many wins. Weber State at 51 is impressive. They’re playing strong competition and winning a fair share. Southern Utah is no longer in the conference which would make UM the worst of the bunch.

51 Weber St. 38-12
114 Portland St. 25-18
133 Sacramento St. 30-25
183 Idaho St. 25-27
196 Northern Colo. 23-30
218 Montana 17-27
270 Southern Utah 3-40

This season’s schedule doesn’t look any better with only one game against Power 5 Oregon on the sheet. The rest is only OK. Lots of factors go into scheduling, but playing these tournaments seems like a way to generate wins against “softer” competition but even that isn’t working.
I don’t know what the answer is..better recruiting..better coaching…but it seems a change is needed. The Lady Griz are heading in the right direction. Hopefully softball can follow suit

And why is she still the head coach? Indoor practice facility, very nice modern stadium, etc. she needs to go.

There are a couple of factors at play that goes well beyond record here:

Only 4 seniors. Of the Seniors that play in the field they are:
Klucewich: Hitting .152
Phelps: .148
Curtis: .071

Klucewhich and Phelps were expected to be key contributors, along with Ontiveros (hitting .207) and they just haven't hit. Jantzi has been their best offensive player (sophomore) along with Jablonski (sophomore). The feeling was the team would be able to hit, but they just haven't.

Block has started the season well, but hasn't gotten any run support in her starts. She's been good enough to win games but hasn't gotten the offense.

Missing a key pitcher (Butterfield) that really has altered how these pre-conference tournaments have run out. Especially this last weekend at UNLV. Brock has thrown well, but after Brock it has been a veritable parade of walks and high pitch counts.

Not explaining away the situation, because it is dire. I don't think it is lost on anyone, but this team is pretty young on experience and the sense is that they feel this team has good upside and well suited to perform well in conference. I don't know if Butterfield is going to be available, but if she comes back and they start getting career average performances from their key hitters I think this team will be okay come conference season. Just my sense.

Back