• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sac St softball looking very good

alabamagrizzly

For comparison, Sac St, a team that we were very competitive with and winning con title’s against not too long ago, is looking very strong this year. At 6-2 they have wins over San Jose St(8-0 mercy rule in 5), Middle Tennessee, UC Davis, North Dakota(x2, the first an 8-0 mercy rule in 6), and a 20-10 win over New Mexico St. they also played Nebraska and lost a 4-5 decision with game 2 vs Nebraska today. I know being in Cali vs Mont really helps their recruiting but it’s a bit disheartening to know that at the beginning of Meuchel’s head coaching career, we were beating them. It’s an obvious tale of two clubs going in very opposite directions.

alabamagrizzly said:
For comparison, Sac St, a team that we were very competitive with and winning con title’s against not too long ago, is looking very strong this year. At 6-2 they have wins over San Jose St(8-0 mercy rule in 5), Middle Tennessee, UC Davis, North Dakota(x2, the first an 8-0 mercy rule in 6), and a 20-10 win over New Mexico St. they also played Nebraska and lost a 4-5 decision with game 2 vs Nebraska today. I know being in Cali vs Mont really helps their recruiting but it’s a bit disheartening to know that at the beginning of Meuchel’s head coaching career, we were beating them. It’s an obvious tale of two clubs going in very opposite directions.

Yep. I would also personally include Idaho State, which made an 180-degree turnaround from last to best. They haven't played as strong a schedule so far, compared to SAC, but at 9-1, they're definitely showing hints at Big Sky dominance.

grizzlyjournal said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Yep. I would also personally include Idaho State, which made an 180-degree turnaround from last to best. They haven't played as strong a schedule so far, compared to SAC, but at 9-1, they're definitely showing hints at Big Sky dominance.

And you can give a large part of the credit to the new coach they hired 2 years ago.

Looking deeper into sac st’s sched, they have 2 games vs Michigan, 2 games against Stanford, 2 games against Iowa, and one against Cal. Added to that are Fresno St, BYU, Utah St, UC Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Cal Baptist, Pacific, UC Davis, and St Marys. The con sched is gonna feel like our fall schedule.

I thought Sacramento State was legit and probably the best and most complete team in the BSC.

I'd point this out for a point of evaluation between SS and ISU right now. You win the games you play, and ISU has won almost all of them on their schedule but that is a pretty soft schedule as comparison as to what some of the other BSC teams have played so far. Just really really hard this time of year to get a bead on where teams are at. But this was ISU's schedule over the first two weeks:

193- UC San Diego
131- Cal Baptist
221- FDU
277- Buffalo
161- Tarleton St
302- Mississippi Valley State
271- Laffayette

We'll know more this coming weekend when they play UVU, GCU, ASU, TSU and OSU. All but UVU are within the top 100 from last year. That is a nightmare schedule for a tournament.

HookedonGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Sac St beat Michigan 6-1 yesterday.

That’s an awesome win.

Lost to em 4-3 today. Michigan beat #17 Florida earlier in the year. Sac St is gonna be legit and has a real good chance to win some games in the national tourney as long as a big Sky team doesn’t upset them at the con tourney.

Back