• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

SATELLITE RECEPTION OF UNC GAME

griz71

Just checking to see if any sportsbar locations had diffciculty getting the satellite feed on Saturday? I see one poster said Duke's in Scottsdale, AZ didn't get it at all. Evidently Sluggers in Seattle didn't either--word was the coordinates were changed after their initial posting on MontanaGrizzlies.com for the second week in a row. I'm normally there but unfortunately I had to be out of town and couldn' get to a place to see the game.

So--any and all places that had problems--could you reply to this post so perhaps we can get something solid put together to build our case for KPAX's apparent decisions to change the coordinates without providing any public notice of such. This practice is wreaking havoc with a number of sportsbar owners not to mention Griz fans; and needless to say, opens up a whole Pandorra's box of other issues which historically we know only too well from similar diffciulties in recent years.

Comments?

Steve - I got the game just fine in Beaverton. I don't believe the coordinates were changed at all. They were different than last week's, but they stayed the same all week.

I think if any of these sports bars are having problems, it's not because of the coordinates. I've gotten all three of the last three games; the coordinates were as listed (by week's end, at least).

There could be several problems besides incorrect coordinates. In no particular order:

1. The receiver is not an HD KU receiver; this is now a necessity;
2. The dish is not aimed at the right satellite; or
3. The satellite dish motor is not tracking properly, or is just a bit off in its tracking.

Keep punching.

Thanks Crunch. I haven't had a chance to talk to the staff @ Sluggers in detail--they just indicated that the coordinates were changed--I took that to mean they were changed from the earlier in the week posting. When I get that clarified we should have more to go on.

Pony Keg in Kent, WA. having the same issue as Sluggers. The owner brings in a technician to help dial it in and they can't seem to find it. He is trying to build a fan base in the south end of Puget Sound and can't get fans to stick around if the game isn't on.

Cooordinates were 11959/12999 vs. posted 12111/13000. got game in So Cal, but did half a dozen blind scans on the Satellite for an hour before the game, and didn't pick up the coordinates/game until the kick off, don't know why, but game came in great once it was picked up

balboajohn said:
Cooordinates were 11959/12999 vs. posted 12111/13000. got game in So Cal, but did half a dozen blind scans on the Satellite for an hour before the game, and didn't pick up the coordinates/game until the kick off, don't know why, but game came in great once it was picked up

That's weird. I got the game at 12111/13000 quite clear.

So Joe (Crunch)--were these "frequency numbers" Balboa refers to ones that were changed from those posted? Anyone have ANY idea when they were changed?

Thanks,
Steve

The problem of the elusive satellite coordinates has been going on forever. Maybe someone might want to contact Bill Johnston in the Alumni office and have him call Hermes or somebody in engineering at KPAX. They are the ones reponsible for the uplink and should be able to fix it.

It was very frustrating at Dukes, I can tell you that. A crowd of 50+ thinned out to about 15 diehards by the time someone came in with a laptop and we huddled around it to watch the final quarter and a half. I called RT O'Sullivans in Mesa and they said THEY couldn't get the game either, but they'd found it online and were streaming it to a TV in the bar. Unfortunately, Dukes' HDMI cable was bad, so we were left with huddling around the laptop.

I found the coordinates online, but when I showed them to the tech guy at Dukes he said that was exactly what he had and it wasn't working.

:? :? :?

(from the Glendale coordinator) Al usually has a technician in to set up his system at Duke's. That technician was in Vegas over the weekend. I guess it can be assumed that Al has no idea how to tune that equipment.

I was at RTO's in Mesa. They streamed the game off the Internet initially (no sound, no stats, no information other than the streaming video). Not long into the game they did find the signal and brought it up. What a relief. We've watched the whole game twice this year on video streaming, and sometimes we had no idea what quarter it was other than to check our smart phones. We had about 15 people come late to the game, and I assume they came from Duke's.

Chris Mancini (RTO's manager) then drove all the way across town to the Glendale RTO's to try to help them. I think they were streaming the game, but they never did get the satellite feed. The Griz coordinator there has been "hounding?" O'Day about the continuous satellite problems. O'Day is at the Big Sky Conference meetings now (Sun-Tue?) and supposedly he was going to talk to Fullerton (the conference controls TV coverage of conference games).

I heard rumors there was someone else interested in bidding on the games when they come up. But I keep that in the rumor box.

Also, the Glendale coordinator said "Bob Bonner at Torrey Pines (Vegas) has brand new HD digital equipment and he says he has NO problem getting the games." Torrey Pines: 702-648-7775.

AZGrizFan---it has been pretty much the same drill @ Sluggers in Kirkland all season. Fortunately for us we have a fair number of bright techie geeks (amongst our alumns and fans) up here in our neck of the woods and have been doing the laptop/HDMI cable thing for a number of years--FAR too long for what is supposed to be the Year 2011 and we have to resort to such "technically primitive" measures just to pull in a game! And Sluggers and the Torrey Pines in Vegas (along with the Swinging Door in Spokane) have been doing the games for years with the BEST track records at success for pulling in the games. This just isn't right and I believe the sportsbar owners need to band together and collectively lobby Bob Hermes @ KPAX-TV to make it crystal clear the issues they are facing and they need resolution IMMEDIATELY.

All of this is very strange and surprising. Apart from the first game, when I was on the wrong satellite, I've managed to find every game with a simple blind scan. For the bars having trouble, have you found the Echostar test signal that's been mentioned a couple times on the same satellite? Seems to be the only way of confirming the satellite.

griz71 said:
AZGrizFan---it has been pretty much the same drill @ Sluggers in Kirkland all season. Fortunately for us we have a fair number of bright techie geeks (amongst our alumns and fans) up here in our neck of the woods and have been doing the laptop/HDMI cable thing for a number of years--FAR too long for what is supposed to be the Year 2011 and we have to resort to such "technically primitive" measures just to pull in a game! And Sluggers and the Torrey Pines in Vegas (along with the Swinging Door in Spokane) have been doing the games for years with the BEST track records at success for pulling in the games. This just isn't right and I believe the sportsbar owners need to band together and collectively lobby Bob Hermes @ KPAX-TV to make it crystal clear the issues they are facing and they need resolution IMMEDIATELY.

Yep, my brother goes to Sluggers every weekend and he and I have been commiserating the past couple weekend. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I am back from homecoming and will be available to help anyone with KU band HD equipment get the game this weekend. I just ask that you call me Thursday or Friday night after 7 PM Pacific time. I will help you ensure that your dish is pointing at the right satellite and then that you have the right coordinates entered. I have helped a few people get it dialed in and I guarantee that if we can get you tuned in before the game and if you have the right equipment, you WILL get the game. The signal is plenty strong to be received by anyone with the right setup. PM me and I will give you my contact information.

Grisly Fan said:
I am back from homecoming and will be available to help anyone with KU band HD equipment get the game this weekend. I just ask that you call me Thursday or Friday night after 7 PM Pacific time. I will help you ensure that your dish is pointing at the right satellite and then that you have the right coordinates entered. I have helped a few people get it dialed in and I guarantee that if we can get you tuned in before the game and if you have the right equipment, you WILL get the game. The signal is plenty strong to be received by anyone with the right setup. PM me and I will give you my contact information.

Well, they're on their own this weekend at Dukes, as I find myself going to a screamo concert with my 17 year old son instead. :? :? :?

It appears the satellite coordinates will remain unchanged (more or less) for the remainder of the year (see http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/schedules/?s=170&g=100&m=37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Oddly though, the freq. 12111.0 is listed for all the remaining games but one when it's listed as 12011.0 for the Northern Arizona game. Perhaps a typo.

Here's to everyone finding the game this week and all the weeks to follow!

griz71 said:
And they do switch up the transponders (channels) back and forth from 16-21... :roll:

Steve,

Don't get hung up on the transponder numbers. KU receivers don't use this number to find a transponder. They require only three pieces of information:

Frequency (e.g., 12011);
Symbol Rate (e.g., 13000, sometimes written as 13.000); and
Polarity (e.g., Horizontal, or H)

(above coordinates apply to the ISU and NAU games; coordinates for the rest or the games are 12111,13000,Vertical)

All the other numbers the receiver needs it can get using the above three pieces of information. If those three are right, and the dish is pointed in the right direction (exactly), and the receiver is an HD receiver, any setup should be able to get this year's Griz satellite broadcasts (assuming, of course, that they don't have hardware problems of some kind like damaged cable or improper settings on their LNBF type).

Back