Bobby Ball

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 23925
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by AZGrizFan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:20 pm

SoldierGriz wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:26 am
Know it's been discussed, but seemed Sneed did pull the ball and run too quickly a few times.
When I rewatched the game last night I looked for that....it seemed it got worse as the game went on...in the beginning he stayed in, but as the game wore on he bailed earlier and earlier...even sometimes with a great pocket formed around him.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

User avatar
SoldierGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 3041
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:59 am
Location: Displaced from the Last Best Place

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by SoldierGriz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:33 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:20 pm
SoldierGriz wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:26 am
Know it's been discussed, but seemed Sneed did pull the ball and run too quickly a few times.
When I rewatched the game last night I looked for that....it seemed it got worse as the game went on...in the beginning he stayed in, but as the game wore on he bailed earlier and earlier...even sometimes with a great pocket formed around him.
He is effective with his feet.

Did you notice him throwing too quickly as well? I took notice of it live, but maybe the tape shows it differently. I saw receivers coming open, but Sneed threw it too soon...into VERY small windows. One second longer would have allowed the receivers to generate more separation to improve YAC.
FTc, FTv, FTmissoulian

argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 7349
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by argh! » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 pm

spsyk wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 am
argh! wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:47 pm
RayWill wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:13 pm
Hammer wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:08 pm
The passion and energy they played with vs last season was evident from the start. That is all Hauck. Notice the incredible improvement in tackling also??
Those of us that were at the game just talked about this today. We could only remember 1 missed tackle.
just one missed tackle....

so the players were clearly doing their jobs, even in the second half. why did uni score so many points, then(bqm) bad coaching(bqm)
.


All that needs to be said is 26 - 23 win. Are you upset with that too.
nah, i'm quite happy they won, especially considering how badly they played at times during the second half. however i admit that i am quite amused by the selective realities seen here regarding performance, based on who the coach is. in my view the real test will be when they play a good team on the road. i hope they can keep winning when they don't have a lot of the advantages that helped lead to the big first half, i.e. home opener with a new coach and big crowd, other team not having any clue as to the offense, and an opponent who had clearly psyched themselves out due to a long losing history to the griz.
Last edited by argh! on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 23925
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by AZGrizFan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:38 pm

SoldierGriz wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:33 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:20 pm
SoldierGriz wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:26 am
Know it's been discussed, but seemed Sneed did pull the ball and run too quickly a few times.
When I rewatched the game last night I looked for that....it seemed it got worse as the game went on...in the beginning he stayed in, but as the game wore on he bailed earlier and earlier...even sometimes with a great pocket formed around him.
He is effective with his feet.

Did you notice him throwing too quickly as well? I took notice of it live, but maybe the tape shows it differently. I saw receivers coming open, but Sneed threw it too soon...into VERY small windows. One second longer would have allowed the receivers to generate more separation to improve YAC.
Absolutely...there were 3-4 plays where 1/2 a second longer and someone broke wide open, but he'd already broken off the play and started running....one play where he was scrambling to his right he hit Toure on the sideline and had Curran wide open down the middle...also, there were a couple VERY nice plays by the receivers that extended drives (the diving catch on the tipped ball by JLM comes to mind) where he'd thrown into double or triple coverage....that's gotta get cleaned up.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

User avatar
Silenoz
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:21 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by Silenoz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:06 pm

The best part of Bobby Ball? Looking like we know what the f*** we're doing on punt and kick cover. It's only been like a decade since that happened

User avatar
YttriumGriz39
Posts: 2292
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:11 am
Location: Folsom CA

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by YttriumGriz39 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:41 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:06 am
The crowd was back in the game in a big way. Very loud and exciting.
Not at the beginning of the second half.

User avatar
Proud Griz Man
eGriz Club
Posts: 5049
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:50 am

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by Proud Griz Man » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 pm

You made some very valid points up until the thing about UNI had clearly psyched themselves out. This UNI program goes to Iowa and Iowa State every other year and competes / sometimes upsets them.
argh! wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 pm


nah, i'm quite happy they won, especially considering how badly they played at times during the second half. however i admit that i am quite amused by the selective realities seen here regarding performance, based on who the coach is. in my view the real test will be when they play a good team on the road. i hope they can keep winning when they don't have a lot of the advantages that helped lead to the big first half, i.e. home opener with a new coach and big crowd, other team not having any clue as to the offense, and an opponent who had clearly psyched themselves out due to a long losing history to the griz.

tnt
Posts: 2108
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:42 am

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by tnt » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:03 pm

I have a slightly different impression of Bobby Ball and frankly believe it is part of the reason the stands are empty 3rd quarter. I can't really remember a time when a BH coached team came out the second half with the intensity they started the game. More common than not was sitting on the edge of your seat wondering WHY no adjustments were made at half time as if expecting the opposing team wouldn't make any. Even run away games seemed to come into doubt at some point in the 3rd and early 4th quarter as the opposing team often gained momentum while we lost it. Somehow the team DOES make those adjustments and pulls it out but dang I wish I could get over the occasional feeling of instead of playing an extra quarter as Bobby has wanted to do more than once, that we quit after 2 and call it a day.

User avatar
Silenoz
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:21 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by Silenoz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:23 pm

I don't think the stands emptying out has anything to do with Bobby Ball, people do that for every game every year. When I had tickets I usually stayed at half and the place was always a ghost town. Like last year when we had a similar-ish lead against EWU, and Reese made those twitter comments about it after the game.

PlayerRep
Posts: 24524
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:09 pm

tnt wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:03 pm
I have a slightly different impression of Bobby Ball and frankly believe it is part of the reason the stands are empty 3rd quarter. I can't really remember a time when a BH coached team came out the second half with the intensity they started the game. More common than not was sitting on the edge of your seat wondering WHY no adjustments were made at half time as if expecting the opposing team wouldn't make any. Even run away games seemed to come into doubt at some point in the 3rd and early 4th quarter as the opposing team often gained momentum while we lost it. Somehow the team DOES make those adjustments and pulls it out but dang I wish I could get over the occasional feeling of instead of playing an extra quarter as Bobby has wanted to do more than once, that we quit after 2 and call it a day.
Huh? Hauck's teams are notorious for making good halftime adjustments and coming out very strong in the 2d half. Look at the below stats. Yes, there were glaring. exceptions like NDSU and a couple national championship games.

Hauck's teams made very good halftime adjustments and almost always dominated the third quarters. UM points scored to opponents in 3d quarters. Look at 2006 and 2008. Wow.

2004 - 185 - 93
2005 - 74 - 38
2006 - 132 - 15
2007 - 107 - 73
2008 - 120 - 29
2009 - 117 -- 66

User avatar
Bjorn Bjornstein
eGriz Club
Posts: 1256
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:47 am
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by Bjorn Bjornstein » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Silenoz wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:23 pm
I don't think the stands emptying out has anything to do with Bobby Ball, people do that for every game every year. When I had tickets I usually stayed at half and the place was always a ghost town. Like last year when we had a similar-ish lead against EWU, and Reese made those twitter comments about it after the game.
Agreed! This has more to do with a 20 minute halftime and folks going back to their tailgate or standing in line for food. Not serving alcohol in the stadium is a major missed opportunity, imo...
who cares?

argh!
eGriz Club
Posts: 7349
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:20 pm

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by argh! » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Proud Griz Man wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 pm
You made some very valid points up until the thing about UNI had clearly psyched themselves out. This UNI program goes to Iowa and Iowa State every other year and competes / sometimes upsets them.
argh! wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 pm


nah, i'm quite happy they won, especially considering how badly they played at times during the second half. however i admit that i am quite amused by the selective realities seen here regarding performance, based on who the coach is. in my view the real test will be when they play a good team on the road. i hope they can keep winning when they don't have a lot of the advantages that helped lead to the big first half, i.e. home opener with a new coach and big crowd, other team not having any clue as to the offense, and an opponent who had clearly psyched themselves out due to a long losing history to the griz.
i based my comment on the tone of their message board, coach interview, and newspaper commentary. they all seemed worried that the team would come out and play against montana like they had done historically - scared. and they did, or so i think, at least for the first half.

User avatar
jodcon
eGriz Club
Posts: 5555
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by jodcon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:03 pm

argh! wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:57 pm
Proud Griz Man wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:58 pm
You made some very valid points up until the thing about UNI had clearly psyched themselves out. This UNI program goes to Iowa and Iowa State every other year and competes / sometimes upsets them.
argh! wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 pm


nah, i'm quite happy they won, especially considering how badly they played at times during the second half. however i admit that i am quite amused by the selective realities seen here regarding performance, based on who the coach is. in my view the real test will be when they play a good team on the road. i hope they can keep winning when they don't have a lot of the advantages that helped lead to the big first half, i.e. home opener with a new coach and big crowd, other team not having any clue as to the offense, and an opponent who had clearly psyched themselves out due to a long losing history to the griz.
i based my comment on the tone of their message board, coach interview, and newspaper commentary. they all seemed worried that the team would come out and play against montana like they had done historically - scared. and they did, or so i think, at least for the first half.
Somebody said on their message board that they should have a drawing from the fans to see who coaches the next Montana game because it hasn't mattered up to now anyway. :lol:

Toff
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:19 pm
Location: Great Falls

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by Toff » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:16 pm

YttriumGriz39 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:41 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:06 am
The crowd was back in the game in a big way. Very loud and exciting.
Not at the beginning of the second half.
One of my biggest issues w/ GRIZ nation... we talk about how good of a fan base we are, however, when we are needed (start of the second half) we would rather pound another. Advice to myself... get your drinking done in 15 minutes and get your ass back to work!!!
#RTD #FTC

'68griz
Posts: 10239
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:52 pm
Location: Missoula

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by '68griz » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:50 pm

As I have stated on numerous occasions before, we never leave the stadium at half-time. Yes, it would be nice to go out and have another beer/drink, but I do honestly believe that virtually all of us could survive 3 1/2 hours
without that shot of alcohol -- or sneak some in, like lots of people do.
Last edited by '68griz on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toff
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:19 pm
Location: Great Falls

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by Toff » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:48 pm

'68griz wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:50 pm
As I have stated on numerous occasions before, we never leave the stadium at half-time. Yes, it would be nice to go out and have another beer/drink, but I do honestly believe that virtually all of us could survive 3 1/2 without that shot of alcohol -- or sneak some in, like lots of people do.
Yeah, that second part!

User avatar
RayWill
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by RayWill » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Toff wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:16 pm
YttriumGriz39 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:41 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:06 am
The crowd was back in the game in a big way. Very loud and exciting.
Not at the beginning of the second half.
One of my biggest issues w/ GRIZ nation... we talk about how good of a fan base we are, however, when we are needed (start of the second half) we would rather pound another. Advice to myself... get your drinking done in 15 minutes and get your ass back to work!!!
#RTD #FTC
Yeah it was depressing a the start of the second half and you can't tell me that did not have an impact on the young players whom were obviously playing off the emotion and the enviroment

srgrizizen
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:26 pm

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by srgrizizen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Nice to have something to talk bout, and many comments ring true, but way too many conclusions drawn from MUCH too small a sample. Until they show otherwise, I'd be very concerned about the running game. The inside run was a waste of a down almost every time, and that part of the game did not even approach "avg." as one poster called it. Let's see more of the playbook though, and esp. see what J. Calhoun can do.

Da Boyz Mom
eGriz Club
Posts: 1661
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:12 pm
Location: Lost in thought

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by Da Boyz Mom » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:05 pm

jodcon wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Somebody said on their message board that they should have a drawing from the fans to see who coaches the next Montana game because it hasn't mattered up to now anyway. :lol:
That comment was HILARIOUS. I don't know if the Panther board accepts nominations for POTY but that should be in the running for sure. :clap:

User avatar
TCCGRIZ
eGriz Club
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 9:21 pm
Location: Butte America

Re: Bobby Ball

Post by TCCGRIZ » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:13 pm

RayWill wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:59 pm
Toff wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:16 pm
YttriumGriz39 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:41 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:06 am
The crowd was back in the game in a big way. Very loud and exciting.
Not at the beginning of the second half.
One of my biggest issues w/ GRIZ nation... we talk about how good of a fan base we are, however, when we are needed (start of the second half) we would rather pound another. Advice to myself... get your drinking done in 15 minutes and get your ass back to work!!!
#RTD #FTC
Yeah it was depressing a the start of the second half and you can't tell me that did not have an impact on the young players whom were obviously playing off the emotion and the enviroment
It clearly shows what's more important to them .
It's like going to the game is more of a social outing . Its nice to visit friends before the game but personally I go to watch football ,not socialize.
From a fan of mine "When I need a policeman to police my posts, you'll be the first person I call"

Post Reply