• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobby’s Recruiting Coups

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Bobby is doing what Bobby does....picking up some good recruits right out of the legacies or back yards of our rivals.

Jacob McGourin - grew up in Cheney and his dad played at EWU

Trevin Gradney - one of the top MT players. His dad played for MSU

Alex Hurlburt - PSU was after him pretty hard (local kid) - 3 star recruit

Kris Brown - playing for Bozeman Hawks and had a brother at MSU

He is off to a good start with his recruiting.

HookedonGriz said:
Bobby is doing what Bobby does....picking up some good recruits right out of the legacies or back yards of our rivals.

Jacob McGourin - grew up in Cheney and his dad played at EWU

Trevin Gradney - one of the top MT players. His dad played for MSU

Alex Hurlburt - PSU was after him pretty hard (local kid) - 3 star recruit

Kris Brown - playing for Bozeman Hawks and had a brother at MSU

He is off to a good start with his recruiting.

good start ? in cheeking the other recruits, i would give Hauck credit for a pretty darn good half class...we have about eleven verbals which equates to about half the class give or take......having said that i believe we need and will see some o/l being signed pretty quick unless he is going for drop down and j.c. kids...just my opinion.

I don't see some of the in state verbals being highly recruited. Don't get me wrong I like signing Montana kids, but hope to see some more out of state kids that pop off the screen when you watch their hudl. I am not so sure Montana high schools' 2018 class is a very deep pool of FCS talent so he needs to get some elsewhere. Not saying Vim and company are experts in ranking them, but if you are going very deep or not even on their lists you might not be getting FCS level talent, just getting kids from Montana.

Ursus1 said:
I don't see some of the in state verbals being highly recruited. Don't get me wrong I like signing Montana kids, but hope to see some more out of state kids that pop off the screen when you watch their hudl. I am not so sure Montana high schools' 2018 class is a very deep pool of FCS talent so he needs to get some elsewhere. Not saying Vim and company are experts in ranking them, but if you are going very deep or not even on their lists you might not be getting FCS level talent, just getting kids from Montana.

The ones he is getting are fine prospects. But the state was never going to be deep with FCS talent this year. Both coaching staffs were going to have to take some flyers on some kids based off their potential. There wasn't going to be a Gabe Sulser, Jesse Sims, or Troy Andersen. Gradney and Poetzl remain the two biggest recruiting wins for Bobby as both were offered by MSU AND I believe they have very bright futures.

VimSince03 said:
Ursus1 said:

The ones he is getting are fine prospects. But the state was never going to be deep with FCS talent this year and both coaching staffs were going to have to take some flyers on some kids based off their potential. Gradney and Poetzl remain the two biggest recruiting wins for Bobby as both were offered by MSU AND I believe they have very bright futures.

I think those are top 2 too, and Meyer will end up playing someday I think too. Having watched his teammate as well, not sure why he hasn't been grabbed yet. Good size, hands and nice speed. Maybe he has offers, or doesn't want to play FB.

Ursus1 said:
VimSince03 said:
Ursus1 said:

The ones he is getting are fine prospects. But the state was never going to be deep with FCS talent this year and both coaching staffs were going to have to take some flyers on some kids based off their potential. Gradney and Poetzl remain the two biggest recruiting wins for Bobby as both were offered by MSU AND I believe they have very bright futures.

I think those are top 2 too, and Meyer will end up playing someday I think too. Having watched his teammate as well, not sure why he hasn't been grabbed yet. Good size, hands and nice speed. Maybe he has offers, or doesn't want to play FB.

Two kids who weren't in my preseason Top 10 who have really shined are Ryan Tirrell and Blake Counts.

VimSince03 said:
Ursus1 said:

The ones he is getting are fine prospects. But the state was never going to be deep with FCS talent this year. Both coaching staffs were going to have to take some flyers on some kids based off their potential. There wasn't going to be a Gabe Sulser, Jesse Sims, or Troy Andersen. Gradney and Poetzl remain the two biggest recruiting wins for Bobby as both were offered by MSU AND I believe they have very bright futures.

Good point, Piss. I agree. :thumb:

VimSince03 said:
Ursus1 said:
VimSince03 said:
Ursus1 said:

Two kids who weren't in my preseason Top 10 who have really shined are Ryan Tirrell and Blake Counts.

Counts season is pretty special. Never seen him in person, but stats are sure impressive.

Aside from “stealing” them from under other obvious choices, we won’t really know if they’re a “coup” until we see them perform on the field.

AZGrizFan said:
Aside from “stealing” them from under other obvious choices, we won’t really know if they’re a “coup” until we see them perform on the field.

Coup - a notable or successful stroke or move.

I’d say grabbing some legacy Cats and kids in Cheney and Bozeman are notable moves.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I’d say grabbing some legacy Cats and kids in Cheney and Bozeman are notable moves.

Honestly thought you were going to go with "successful stroke" right there. It's right there in the definition. Agree nonetheless.

The kid from Butte that runs a clothing company, and the Tennis kid from Havre (NFL Pro-bowler) were both Walk-ons for the griz....Top talent is great...but not everything.

VimSince03 said:
Ursus1 said:
VimSince03 said:
Ursus1 said:

The more I see and hear about Counts, the more I want him to be a Griz. Not the best speed, but instincts you can't teach.

UM will likely keep some powder dry, and wait till later in the recruiting season, when kids hoping for good FBS offers don't get them.

CDAGRIZ said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Honestly thought you were going to go with "successful stroke" right there. It's right there in the definition. Agree nonetheless.

I was a die hard fan of Successful Strokes in the 80's. :thumb:

CDAGRIZ said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Damnit, I blew it. One would think that would have taken a successful stroke.

Note:
Most of the Montana kids are not getting full ride money and many will be walkons. None have noted on Twitter that they are full ride.

There is still plenty of money for drop downs etc

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yes, but are they successful? :cool: :cool:

PlayerRep said:
UM will likely keep some powder dry, and wait till later in the recruiting season, when kids hoping for good FBS offers don't get them.

agree here with p.r. ....in my view not only for true freshman but drop downs and junior college players that need a full rides to come......bobby usually goes with Montana kids that are athletes (frame wise) that can be developed to a variety of different positions depending on need in the future....really can't go too wrong with this philosophy. also want a particular player that can play for him and his demands..... he will give up some on the athletic side to gain the kid with the right mind set imo.

by krammer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 pm

PlayerRep wrote: ↑Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:29 pm

agree here with p.r. ....in my view not only for true freshman but drop downs and junior college players that need a full rides to come......bobby usually goes with Montana kids that are athletes (frame wise) that can be developed to a variety of different positions depending on need in the future....really can't go too wrong with this philosophy. also want a particular player that can play for him and his demands..... he will give up some on the athletic side to gain the kid with the right mind set imo.

I agree that the best need full rides. I just hate to waste scholarships, partial or not, on players who end up basically being practice fodder. I understand some of that is necessary. Also understand that it is a great opportunity for some MT kids to get an education while reducing their tuition obligation. But in terms of building this program back to championship caliber that philosophy isn't going to cut it in the long run. Love to see MT kids succeed but there just isn't enough of them to bring the program back.

Back