• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bobby’s Recruiting Coups

sdk.catfish said:
by krammer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 pm

PlayerRep wrote: ↑Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:29 pm
UM will likely keep some powder dry, and wait till later in the recruiting season, when kids hoping for good FBS offers don't get them.

agree here with p.r. ....in my view not only for true freshman but drop downs and junior college players that need a full rides to come......bobby usually goes with Montana kids that are athletes (frame wise) that can be developed to a variety of different positions depending on need in the future....really can't go too wrong with this philosophy. also want a particular player that can play for him and his demands..... he will give up some on the athletic side to gain the kid with the right mind set imo.

I agree that the best need full rides. I just hate to waste scholarships, partial or not, on players who end up basically being practice fodder. I understand some of that is necessary. Also understand that it is a great opportunity for some MT kids to get an education while reducing their tuition obligation. But in terms of building this program back to championship caliber that philosophy isn't going to cut it in the long run. Love to see MT kids succeed but there just isn't enough of them to bring the program back.

Bobby built his program on Montana talent, not just as starters but also as important depth players. Obviously not every starter is going to be a Montana kid. But they compete their tail off and make the other more talented players better. They earn their spot on the roster.

Catfish, not sure I agree with you. Montana produces some great athletes and with Bobby teaching them for two or three years, many turn into fine football players that can compete at the national level of FCS football.
Good coaching is the key. Bobby fits the bill.

So as more Skyline articles come out, there is quite the theme developing with some of these kids. Elwell, Poetzl, and Gradney were all being recruited hard by both the Cats and Griz. Each one when asked why the Griz won out, had some real positive things to say about the staff and facilities. Poetzl has the latest but t\hey all sound very similar:

“I really got to appreciate and respect the coaching staff,” Poetzl said. “I would say their staff definitely resembles my high school staff right now. I’m blown away every day by my coaches, and when I was there I was blown away by their coaches, just the understanding of the game and understanding how to coach a winning football team. So the coaching staff definitely won me over from there.”

Also interesting is the fact that all 3 of those players was initially leaning Cats and were won over to the Griz. That’s why I said “coups” earlier.

sdk.catfish said:
by krammer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 pm

PlayerRep wrote: ↑Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:29 pm
UM will likely keep some powder dry, and wait till later in the recruiting season, when kids hoping for good FBS offers don't get them.

agree here with p.r. ....in my view not only for true freshman but drop downs and junior college players that need a full rides to come......bobby usually goes with Montana kids that are athletes (frame wise) that can be developed to a variety of different positions depending on need in the future....really can't go too wrong with this philosophy. also want a particular player that can play for him and his demands..... he will give up some on the athletic side to gain the kid with the right mind set imo.

I agree that the best need full rides. I just hate to waste scholarships, partial or not, on players who end up basically being practice fodder. I understand some of that is necessary. Also understand that it is a great opportunity for some MT kids to get an education while reducing their tuition obligation. But in terms of building this program back to championship caliber that philosophy isn't going to cut it in the long run. Love to see MT kids succeed but there just isn't enough of them to bring the program back.

It isn't a waste of scholarship to bring in MT kids who may not be in the top of the recruiting class. UM actually stretches its scholarships by MT kids on partials. Using partials is harder for out of state kids, especially bigger recruits. Scholarships for MT kids is much less costly too, so it helps save the budget for other important things.

I think Hauck believes that the program can't be rebuilt back into a dominant program without alot of MT kids, both those who come on partials and those who come as walk-ons. along with getting the bulk of the top. MT kids. Both star players and depth come from building the program around a big bunch of MT kids.

UM doesn't have the funds nor the scholarships to build the program around out of state recruits, and fill in with MT kids, is my understanding. It's also easier to observe and check out MT kids, as our coaches can get to games more easily and less expensively and vet the kids with their coaches and others.

the comment "their staff resembles my high school staff right now" doesn't exactly bolster my confidence.

argh! said:
the comment "their staff resembles my high school staff right now" doesn't exactly bolster my confidence.

Guess that depends on how you take it, or use it to fit a narrative. Of course if you read the following line...

argh! said:

And we thought a D-II staff was bad. Ha.

Obviously, the kid loves his high school coaches, so it was a compliment.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

And we thought a D-II staff was bad. Ha.

Obviously, the kid loves his high school coaches, so it was a compliment.

Yeah, that's the exact way I took it.

Back