• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BigSky playoff possibilities

Mavman

Does Montana get in at 8-4?
Do cats get in if they lose next two games?
Does Davis get in if they win out?
Does EWU get in if they win out at 7-5?

Mavman said:
Yes. Every time.
Maybe*
Maybe*
No. Only 6 DI wins.

*These really depend on what happens to the other bubble teams. The bubble is fairly weak, but crowded this season. MSU on a 2-game skid looks bad, and UCD on a 3-game streak looks good. In this situation, I think UCD gets in before MSU, but the Cats may still have a shot.

uofmman1122 said:
Mavman said:
Yes. Every time.
Maybe*
Maybe*
No. Only 6 DI wins.

*These really depend on what happens to the other bubble teams. The bubble is fairly weak, but crowded this season. MSU on a 2-game skid looks bad, and UCD on a 3-game streak looks good. In this situation, I think UCD gets in before MSU, but the Cats may still have a shot.

Griz are in regardless
I read the Cats are a maybe, but with a win over SeMo and playoff revenue, they're in
Yea, Davis winning out puts them at like 7 of 8 wins down the stretch with preseason Top 5, they'd be in
No way unless they're up for a final spot against some weak conf team, but that Jax State loss and JSU's topple from the top doesn't help. They win that game and they're in for sure

Depends on the nature of our losses if we do 0-2 to close the season. Losing bad to Weber at home and dropping the cat game by more than a score or two would likely put us out. Ten years ago that wouldn’t be the case

Here's some real chaos:

Montana beats Weber, but loses to MSU.
Weber also somehow loses to Idaho State to finish 0-2.
EWU wins out.
MSU loses to Davis, but beats us.
Sac loses out to Idaho and UC Davis.
Davis wins out.

Place Team Conf. Total Streak
1. Montana 6-2 9-3 L1
2. Weber State 6-2 8-4 L2
3. Eastern Washington 6-2 7-5 W4
4. Montana State 5-3 8-4 W1
5. UC Davis 5-3 7-5 W3
6. Sacramento State 5-3 7-5 L2

Somehow in this situation, EWU wins a share of the conference title, but still is sweating on the bubble. You could make an argument that all of these teams should be in the playoffs. UM, WSU, and MSU are locks here, and I honestly can't decide which teams (if any!) out of UCD, EWU, and Sac I'd leave out.

Nuts.

BozAngelesGriz said:
Depends on the nature of our losses if we do 0-2 to close the season. Losing bad to Weber at home and dropping the cat game by more than a score or two would likely put us out. Ten years ago that wouldn’t be the case
We could lose 45-0 both games, and still be in.

There are not going to be 14 other at-large teams with a better resume/record than us, even with bombing out the last two weeks.

We are essentially a lock to at least make the field at this point.

Appreciate the question, but the only thing I really care a out is us winning the next two, preferably by blowout, and securing a top 2 or 3 seed!

uofmman1122 said:
Here's some real chaos:

EWU wins out.
Davis wins out.

1. Montana 6-2 9-3 L1
5. UC Davis 5-3 7-5 W3

Somehow in this situation, EWU wins a share of the conference title, but still is sweating on the bubble. You could make an argument that all of these teams should be in the playoffs. UM, WSU, and MSU are locks here, and I honestly can't decide which teams (if any!) out of UCD, EWU, and Sac I'd leave out.

Nuts.

The only way EWU gets in is if they get the AQ, which they wouldn't since UM would have beat both Weber and EWU in this scenario.

uofmman1122 said:
Mavman said:
Yes. Every time.
Maybe*
Maybe*
No. Only 6 DI wins.

At least 6 Division I wins is the guideline given to the committee when looking at teams to select. EWU can still get to six Division I wins, but I think being selected as an at-large is a long shot for them at this point. Will depend how their resume stacks up to other teams on the bubble in a few more weeks if they win out.

grizindabox said:
uofmman1122 said:
Here's some real chaos:

EWU wins out.
Davis wins out.

1. Montana 6-2 9-3 L1
5. UC Davis 5-3 7-5 W3

Nuts.

The only way EWU gets in is if they get the AQ, which they wouldn't since UM would have beat both Weber and EWU in this scenario.
I think you're right, but if you had told me "EWU will win a share of the conference title, but miss the playoffs", I would not have believed you.

That said, Weber going 0-2 to finish the year is likely not going to happen, so EWU's conference champion-ship has sailed, at this point.

Brother Bear said:
uofmman1122 said:
Mavman said:
Yes. Every time.
Maybe*
Maybe*
No. Only 6 DI wins.

At least 6 Division I wins is the guideline given to the committee when looking at teams to select. EWU can still get to six Division I wins, but I think being selected as an at-large is a long shot for them at this point. Will depend how their resume stacks up to other teams on the bubble in a few more weeks if they win out.
Someone made a pretty good, in-depth post about the playoff scenario on AGS:

I think something's gotta give here, though. Here's the teams I still have in the playoff hunt (*=Lock)

Weber State*
Montana*
Sacramento State (1W and in)
Montana State (1W and in)
UC Davis (Win out and Bubble)
Monmouth*
James Madison*
Villanova*
Towson (Should finish 8-4, beat Citadel, Maine)
New Hampshire (Would finish 7-4, wins over Maine, Albany, Villanova)
Maine (Would finish 7-5, wins over UNH, Albany, 5 game win streak to close)
Albany (Would finish 8-4, wins over UNH, Towson)
North Dakota (Would finish 7-4, good wins over Montana State, UC Davis and Sam Houston, could be a problem for Montana State if they finish at 8-4, definite problem if they finish at 7-5)
North Dakota State*
Northern Iowa*
South Dakota State (1W and in, host UNI and on road against SD in rivalry game)
SIU (in with a win over WIU next week; 7-5, but FBS win, maybe a little bit more vulnerable than I thought with loss to SEMO on resume and no other significant wins outside of UMass)
Illinois State (in with one win in final two after knocking off SDSU, also own win over SIU)
CCSU/Robert Morris*
Austin Peay (1 win in final 2 gives them the conference title)
SEMO (they look good; nice win on road against SIU non-conference, hot coming in, could be an issue if they're up against Montana State or North Dakota in a comparison, so probably want to win out)
Patriot League (everyone sucks)*
San Diego*
Furman* (IMO if the committee has them at 9, they're in, win or loss to Wofford)
Wofford (I think they need to beat the Citadel, Furman almost doesn't matter. If they beat Furman and lose to the Citadel, I think they may be on the outside looking in even though I'd choose them over Furman).
Citadel (Beat Wofford, they're in over them IMO)
Sam Houston (5-4 with bad loss to Lamar, beat Nicholls; win out and bubble because of loss to ND who's also potentially bubble)
UCA* (Still fine; those Austin Peay and FBS wins really hold up, took care of most of southland)
SELA (Suddenly look pretty good; 7-4 with a win over Nicholls might be good enough)
Nicholls (can get to 8-4 and presumably knock out SELA, win over UCA looks good, but then lost 17-0 to Sam Houston in a head scratcher).
McNeese (Can knock Nicholls out of the conversation IMO with a win next week and catapult themselves in).

To me that's 31 teams competing for 24 spots; I don't really think Kennesaw State is in the realistic conversation but you might. Now if we work through it, one of Maine/UNH is guaranteed to be eliminated; one of McNeese/Nicholls is guaranteed to be eliminated. That brings you down to 29 teams. UC Davis is an extreme longshot and would almost certainly take the spot of one of the two playoff teams they beat down the stretch, which probably brings you to 28 teams for a 24 team field. I don't see a ton of room for budging off of that. I doubt the Southland is getting 4 teams in, so that probably brings you down to 27. I don't think the SoCon is getting 3, so that brings you down to 26, and Maine would probably knock Albany out if Maine wins out and Albany wins out, so that's probably 25. That leaves one more vulnerable team; is it 8-4 Towson? 7-5 SIU? SEMO?

I don't see a great argument for any major bubble reaches in looking at what's left is all I'm saying. I think the only 5 loss team that has a shot is SIU, and for awhile I've just assumed they were in but perhaps they're not.
So we're likely looking at EWU having to beat out 8-4 Towson (not happening), 7-5 SIU (much better resume than EWU), and likely 9-3 SEMO (not gonna happen).

My head says the Griz beating Weber is a very tall order. I think it'll be close, but I just dont think our lines are there yet. My heart Hope's for a 30pt blowout, fast 1st quarter start and hammer down on the gas pedal!

If UC Davis wins out, (beating the cats this weekend) and MSU then drops the game the following week in Bozeman... who gets in? Both of them, or just one of them and who?

I would think Weber and Montana are locks at the point. Sacramento State as well. Is the Big Sky going to get just 4 teams in? What about North Dakota (I know they are not in the Big Sky but could they take a spot?) They beat MSU, just about beat Weber St and could finish their season 7-4, with 7 Division I wins.

uofmman1122 said:
grizindabox said:
uofmman1122 said:
Here's some real chaos:

EWU wins out.
Davis wins out.

1. Montana 6-2 9-3 L1
5. UC Davis 5-3 7-5 W3

Nuts.

I think you're right, but if you had told me "EWU will win a share of the conference title, but miss the playoffs", I would not have believed you.

That said, Weber going 0-2 to finish the year is likely not going to happen, so EWU's conference champion-ship has sailed, at this point.

That would be hilarious. Conference Co-Champs. No playoffs. Have a nice winter.

uofmman1122 said:
grizindabox said:
uofmman1122 said:
Here's some real chaos:

EWU wins out.
Davis wins out.

1. Montana 6-2 9-3 L1
5. UC Davis 5-3 7-5 W3

Nuts.

Nice touch. :lol:

If Msu lost both games I think No Dak would steal their spot.
Griz have been jinxed by being voted #5 in AGS poll
#5 is 4-7 on the year :eek:

As a Griz fan I am very Glad our games against EWU and Davis are in the rearview mirror. Would not want to play either one at this time.

The Griz are an absolute lock already. It does not matter if they dropped the next two they would be 8-4 and still in the top 15. A top 15 8-4 Griz team is not sitting outside of the playoffs, guaranteed.

If the Cats go 1-1 they are in with 8 wins. If they go 0-2 they are out. They would only have 7 wins with a 2 loss skid and wouldn’t have the SRS rating to help them (basically the Sagarin rating the committee used). At that point, they’d be out of the Top 20 (maybe somewhere between 21-25).

If UC Davis wins out they’d be 7-5 with a good showing against NDSU, a hot streak to end season, and in the Top 20. Committee would put them in.

If EWU wins out they’d only have 6 D1 wins. In a normal 11 game season I still think the committee would give them heavy consideration but this year they would be sitting home

CDAGRIZ said:
uofmman1122 said:
grizindabox said:
uofmman1122 said:
Here's some real chaos:

EWU wins out.
Davis wins out.

1. Montana 6-2 9-3 L1
5. UC Davis 5-3 7-5 W3

Nuts.

That would be hilarious. Conference Co-Champs. No playoffs. Have a nice winter.
Fascinating scenario ... and, over the years, some strange things have indeed happened. However, remember that that hypothetical record for EWU would actually be 6-5 ... one win being against a D-II. Can't see a 6-5 Big Sky team getting an at-large bid. In fact, I can't really see any 6-win team getting an at-large bid this year, with so many teams playing twelve games. There are 20 teams that already have six or more D-I wins: 8 with seven (or more) and 12 with six. A realistic look at the next games of the 6-win teams suggests that at least half will win at least one more. That right there gives you 14 teams with 7 or more wins to fill all the at-large bid spots.

Edit: Overlooked "Independent" North Dakota, currently 5-4. They play NoColo and SUU on their home field ... they're practically a lock to finish 7-4. So there's another 7-win team fighting for an at-large bid.

BozAngelesGriz said:

No. The Griz are a lock, no matter what happens. Do I want them to prove it? No. But they're a lock and a max bid will be submitted for the first round should they not get a seed.

George Ferguson said:
BozAngelesGriz said:

No. The Griz are a lock, no matter what happens. Do I want them to prove it? No. But they're a lock and a max bid will be submitted for the first round should they not get a seed.

If the Griz are the eighth seed and win at home in the second round, can they out-bid NDSU for the third round and get a home game or are they stuck going there?

Back